Author Topic: Saratoga and switch to WD  (Read 1616 times)

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
Saratoga and switch to WD
« on: December 10, 2018, 11:57:56 AM »
I'll be switching from Cumulus MX to WD soon.  Looking at the documentation, it looks like WebSite wise, I just use the WD-plugin.zip files.

I was expecting to see that a change in the Settings.php file would be needed and I didn't see it.  Am I missing something?  This might not be too bad a switch over if that's the case.

Also, with regards to the NOAA reports files, I had renamed all of my old VWS files over to the Cumulus file format.  Am I going to have to rename everything again to match the WD filename format?  Before I had assumed I would, but I thought I would ask if it can mix and match the filenames.

Thanks
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Re: Saratoga and switch to WD
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 12:19:06 PM »
There is a different Settings-weather.php file for Weather-Display .. usually, no need to change the Settings.php file for change in weather software.  Note that there are additional files in the WD-plugin.zip that have to be uploaded to your site. 

The Weather-display NOAA files are not the same structure as the Cumulus/VWS/WeatherLink .txt files, so you can't just rename them.  WD doesn't produce a .txt NOAA report -- they are all formatted HTML only, so the wxnoaareports.php script won't work on WD NOAA files.

Here's a little conversion hint.. upload the WD-plugin.zip's Settings-weather.php to your site as Settings-weather-WD.php and configure it
Do the setup with Weather-Display to upload the testtags.php and clientraw.txt files.
Then you can view any wx...php pages on your site by adding ?wx=WD to it and the Weather-Display version will show.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 12:46:52 PM »
Are you using WD?  I noticed you have Weatherlink NOAA reports on your site.
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 01:35:07 PM »
Ahh.. yes, I do cheat a bit.. Since I have an old VP1, I can use VirtualVP to drive both Weather-Display AND WeatherLink for my site.  The NOAA reports you see are all WeatherLink -- I don't have a page to display the Weather-Display noaaclimatereports.
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 01:36:01 PM »
And now it looks like I've pissed off Godaddy's FTP.  Both Cumulus, WD, and my own FTP apps won't connect at all.  I'm guessing I had too many simultaneous connections going on.  I'll have to get a hold of Godaddy support.  Oh joy...

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 04:31:21 PM »
Welp, after dealing with a new Tivo install from my cable company, I got on with GoDaddy chat.  Got bounced from the first person to a second group.  After being "on hold" waiting for the second group, it just magically started working again.   Great, but I still got to chat with a Betty who said everything was working fine.  Of course, it was ISP issues was their excuse.

Looks like WD is working. 

https://www.bismarckweather.net/?wx=WD

Now I just need to figure out what I'm going to do with NOAA reports.  Or do something else.

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 04:48:28 PM »
Welp, after dealing with a new Tivo install from my cable company, I got on with GoDaddy chat.  Got bounced from the first person to a second group.  After being "on hold" waiting for the second group, it just magically started working again.   Great, but I still got to chat with a Betty who said everything was working fine.  Of course, it was ISP issues was their excuse.

Looks like WD is working. 

https://www.bismarckweather.net/?wx=WD

Now I just need to figure out what I'm going to do with NOAA reports.  Or do something else.

Betty huh? I usually get Sally or Jim.  :grin:
Tony

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 05:19:16 PM »
Yeah, I wondered about that name "Betty".  Probably someone overseas who has to take an American name.

I had to pull my WiFi logger out, so the WD version will be down for a bit.

Offline orchidman

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 03:10:13 PM »
Here's a little conversion hint.. upload the WD-plugin.zip's Settings-weather.php to your site as Settings-weather-WD.php and configure it
Do the setup with Weather-Display to upload the testtags.php and clientraw.txt files.
Then you can view any wx...php pages on your site by adding ?wx=WD to it and the Weather-Display version will show.
Ouch!  My house is Vantage Pro2, Virtural Wx and my new site (lake cabin) is Vantage Vue with WifiLogger.  I want to keep the NOAA files because I want to keep the Saratoga wxtempdetail.php with all of its history for my house.  I retire in a month and one of the early projects was to try to figure out how I could get the data out of my lake cabin site so I could start generating a history that can be displayed like my home site has.
This is probably the wrong forum for my question but any comments would be welcome to get me started on how I could get data into a format that wxtempdetail.php would be able to display my remote site history.
I host my home site on a local server so ftp from the lake to home or home pulling some way and then running a second set of php files for the remote station is where I was thinking of starting to look.  I could get by with only the history from the lake as I can already see the current data.
Gary
Oklahoma City, OK
Davis Advantage Pro2, WL, VWS, WU KOKOKLAH58

Offline Murry Conarroe

• Contributor
    • Wildwood Weather
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 08:07:56 AM »
Ouch!  My house is Vantage Pro2, Virtural Wx and my new site (lake cabin) is Vantage Vue with WifiLogger.  I want to keep the NOAA files because I want to keep the Saratoga wxtempdetail.php with all of its history for my house.  I retire in a month and one of the early projects was to try to figure out how I could get the data out of my lake cabin site so I could start generating a history that can be displayed like my home site has.
This is probably the wrong forum for my question but any comments would be welcome to get me started on how I could get data into a format that wxtempdetail.php would be able to display my remote site history.
I host my home site on a local server so ftp from the lake to home or home pulling some way and then running a second set of php files for the remote station is where I was thinking of starting to look.  I could get by with only the history from the lake as I can already see the current data.

For use with the detail/summary scripts, you can indeed rename the Cumulus NOAA reports from NOAAMOmmyy.txt to the Weather Display dailynoaareportmyyyy.htm naming convention and they will work okay. I have done so multiple times for testing purposes. Just remember Cumulus always uses two digit numbers for both month and year while WD uses four numbers for the year and does not use a leading zero for the month.
Murry

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2018, 11:59:02 AM »

So when I do the flip to making WD my production, can I rename the old Settings-weather.php to Settings-weather-CU.php and retain Cumulus running?  Flip the 2 files around?  keep ?wx=CU?

Thinking of keeping Cumulus running for those NOAA reports I like.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2018, 12:45:59 PM »
Yes, just flip the Settings-weather.php -- whichever one you chose, that file determines the primary weather software to display your coditions.  The other software can keep uploading and use ?wx=WD to display Weather-Display data instead.

The template only works with one primary weather software at a time.  Based on that software, some other pages are enabled in the flyout-menu (while others will not appear).  The wxonly="..." string in the <item ...></item> flyout-menu.xml determines if a page link should be displayed.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2018, 02:10:51 PM »
How do I get the Station Monthly Reports working?

https://www.bismarckweather.net/wxhistory.php

I have the Settings file edited for History Start year set to 2018.  I have a December file started.

https://www.bismarckweather.net/December2018.htm

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2018, 10:50:06 PM »
Your site is configured with a Settings-weather.php for Cumulus.  You'll need to add the Weather-Display specific settings to see if wxhistory.php will find the files.  Try adding
Code: [Select]
$SITE['graphImageDir']  = './';  // directory location for graph images with trailing /
# wxhistory.php settings
$SITE['HistoryStartYear'] = '2018';  // start year for station operation
$SITE['HistoryFilesDir']  = './';    // directory location for the [month][year].htm history files
$SITE['HistoryGraphsDir'] = './';    // directory location for the YYYYMMDD.gif graphic daily report files
to Settings-weather.php and see if that fakes-out the wxhistory.php/include-wxhistory.php scripts.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2018, 09:58:58 AM »
That did it.  Thanks.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 01:05:52 PM »
I've decided to flip WD as my main software updating the homepage.  But I'm going to keep CU running for NOAA reports and a history page I like.

But now with the flip, "NOAA-style climate reports not available."  Can I flip it to look at the CU files that are still uploading?

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2019, 02:22:57 PM »
You likely need a small 'fake' in the wxnoaaclimatereports.php page to fool the template into using Cumulus as a base for that script.

Try changing wxnoaaclimatereports.php
    <?php include_once("include-NOAA-reports.php"?>
to
    <?php 
# For NOAA reports
$SITE['NOAAdir']        = './Reports/';   // relative location of the NOAA report files
$SITE['WXsoftware']     = 'CU';
$SITE['WXsoftwareURL']  = 'https://cumuluswiki.wxforum.net/';
$SITE['WXsoftwareLongName'] = 'Cumulus';

include_once(
"include-NOAA-reports.php"?>
and that may be enough to 'fake out' the one page.  The Footer may show the wrong Cumulus version info (since WD is driving the main site), but otherwise, it should be able to display the reports.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2019, 02:47:15 PM »
Perfect.  Thank you very much.

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2019, 04:37:52 PM »
I have had that same magical experience with godaddy a few times.

After being "on hold" waiting for the second group, it just magically started working again.   Great, but I still got to chat with a Betty who said everything was working fine.  Of course, it was ISP issues was their excuse.

Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

anything