Author Topic: Atlas Lightning Sensor Vs. Stand Alone Lightning Sensor?  (Read 20695 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Atlas Lightning Sensor Vs. Stand Alone Lightning Sensor?
« Reply #175 on: October 24, 2018, 05:15:26 PM »
I'm willing to bet they didn't fix it. Why else would they still be sending out replacements with issues. They don't have a clue.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #176 on: October 24, 2018, 05:35:51 PM »
Update. Acurite sent me a replacement lightning detector and still false lightning strikes. Then I was asked to return my Atlas sensor back with my original lightning detector for testing. At that same time they sent me a replacement Atlas sensor, which I received yesterday evening. Still false lightning strikes reported. They responded back and said they figured out what the root cause was and made some adjustments to my original Atlas sensor. They now want me to return the replacement that I just put up yesterday. Very inconvenient, but if they did fix it, I guess it was worth it. They said I will no longer experience false lightning readings. They did not disclose exactly what the issue was or what they did to fix it at this time.
So, why wouldnt they tell you what "magical" fix they came up with, so it can be shared with all the other poor folks who have bought/returned/bought/mounted/taken down their product, if it actually SOLVES the "issue"?   Very weird..

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #177 on: October 24, 2018, 05:36:31 PM »
I'm willing to bet they didn't fix it. Why else would they still be sending out replacements with issues. They don't have a clue.

THIS makes the most sense!!

Offline beamd

« Reply #178 on: October 24, 2018, 09:39:39 PM »
Maybe they cut the wires to the fan :lol:

Offline Victoria

« Reply #179 on: October 25, 2018, 09:55:06 AM »
Hello everyone! Some of you probably know me from various AcuRite product beta and field tests; my name is Victoria, and I am a Product Manager at AcuRite.

I'm glad to come forward to say we have recognized the issue in some Atlas devices where lightning interference, and potentially false lightning readings, are occurring when the device is exposed to sunlight. We have identified a root cause, as well a resolution.

We would like to resolve this for any customers impacted, so please chat with our Support team on AcuRite.com if you are experiencing lightning interference during the daytime. As of today, our team has an updated action plan in hand to help you get this resolved, and quickly.

I am extremely grateful for the interest and input you all put into these discussions. As part of the investigation, these discussions assisted in pinpointing the behavior, allow us to more quickly replicate the problem and identify a root cause.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #180 on: October 25, 2018, 10:05:35 AM »
Great thanks for coming on here and sharing your support what was the root cause?
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #181 on: October 25, 2018, 10:13:59 AM »
Great thanks for coming on here and sharing your support what was the root cause?

good luck getting them to disclose that.. :idea:

Offline Victoria

« Reply #182 on: October 25, 2018, 10:20:52 AM »

Some interference was coming off the power wire for the fan. Based on small differences on how far the wire was split or resting, it could potentially create the problem. That's why the issue is only seen when the aspirating fan is receiving power and running.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #183 on: October 25, 2018, 10:28:59 AM »
Wonderful thank you for your explanation are all atlases manufactured from this point on going to be receiving this fix?

Because like me and I'm sure thousands of other customers we are waiting on a fix for this before we purchase one so as a company I hope you realize this.
KMIBADAX38

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #184 on: October 25, 2018, 10:30:17 AM »

Some interference was coming off the power wire for the fan. Based on small differences on how far the wire was split or resting, it could potentially create the problem. That's why the issue is only seen when the aspirating fan is receiving power and running.

It this something we can repair at home or do we need to send the unit back in? I have already sent one in.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline Victoria

« Reply #185 on: October 25, 2018, 10:45:34 AM »
It this something we can repair at home or do we need to send the unit back in? I have already sent one in.

While the actual technical work of fixing it is within the capabilities of some users, there's some risk associated with any errors in applying the fix. It would be best to send it in to get resolved, as we'll be testing after the fix to make sure everything is working as expected.

We don't want people to have to wait weeks for their Atlas to come back though. Any Atlas will undergo an expedited RMA process; once it arrives here, we'll have tested and back in the mail within a couple days.

Offline Victoria

« Reply #186 on: October 25, 2018, 10:52:15 AM »
Wonderful thank you for your explanation are all atlases manufactured from this point on going to be receiving this fix?

Because like me and I'm sure thousands of other customers we are waiting on a fix for this before we purchase one so as a company I hope you realize this.

You bring up a great point, and I do realize and am grateful for this. To answer your question, yes. Moving forward, all devices will have the fix.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #187 on: October 25, 2018, 10:55:45 AM »
Thank you for posting and answering our questions
KMIBADAX38

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
  • AcuRite Atlas (wind ext. & lightning detector)
« Reply #188 on: October 25, 2018, 10:59:19 AM »
Victoria, very much appreciated. I actually had this process already done and they will be sending my original Atlas sensor back soon with the adjustments that corrected the problem. I will say, it was very inconvenient to receive the replacement and then put it up and then take it back down the next day to send back. However, even though this was inconvenient because of my set up with the wind extension and anemometer, they were very prompt with the process. I will say for my experience this time, customer service was great. It's just too bad there had to be this issue in the first place. I hope others have a positive experience as well in this process with getting their sensors fixed.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 11:01:21 AM by Mirwin275 »

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #189 on: October 25, 2018, 11:00:28 AM »
Victoria - Thank you for posting! As someone who didn’t have the problem it is reassuring to know that the problem and solution has nothing to do with the fan and/or lightning detector itself and would’ve required me to address and fix in the future.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline Victoria

« Reply #190 on: October 25, 2018, 11:05:57 AM »
Victoria, very much appreciated. I actually had this process already done and they will be sending my original Atlas sensor back soon with the adjustments that corrected the problem. I will say, it was very inconvenient to receive the replacement and then put it up and then take it back down the next day to send back. However, even though this was inconvenient because of my set up with the wind extension and anemometer, they were very prompt with the process. I will say for my experience this time, customer service was great. It's just too bad there had to be this issue in the first place. I hope others have a positive experience as well in this process with getting their sensors fixed.

Thank you for your patience on this one. When in the process of trying to replicate an issue and identify a root cause, we often end up needing hardware back to replicate the issue on, and send out replacements to verify if the issue appears to be environmental. I appreciate your help on the matter.

Offline Victoria

« Reply #191 on: October 25, 2018, 11:09:12 AM »
Victoria - Thank you for posting! As someone who didn’t have the problem it is reassuring to know that the problem and solution has nothing to do with the fan and/or lightning detector itself and would’ve required me to address and fix in the future.

Yeah, if you're not experiencing the issue, you should be fine. But if something were to happen, please know we would definitely help you take care of it.

Offline MrM1

• North Central Florida
  • Contributor
    • Bethel Weather
« Reply #192 on: October 25, 2018, 11:22:44 AM »
How long before new stock will have the lightning sensor issue repaired.  I just ordered a new array from Ambient Weather this week,  but I could use it in another location.  I have been waiting on the Atlas (and holding off ordering anything) for about 18 months.   My whole reason in wanting the Atlas was for the lightning detector.   And if the bugs get worked out (I saw here there might be weather underground connection issues too ???? ) ,  But if all the bugs get worked out I am still wanting to get an Atlas.

Offline Victoria

« Reply #193 on: October 25, 2018, 11:53:57 AM »
How long before new stock will have the lightning sensor issue repaired.  I just ordered a new array from Ambient Weather this week,  but I could use it in another location.  I have been waiting on the Atlas (and holding off ordering anything) for about 18 months.   My whole reason in wanting the Atlas was for the lightning detector.   And if the bugs get worked out (I saw here there might be weather underground connection issues too ???? ) ,  But if all the bugs get worked out I am still wanting to get an Atlas.

Anything from AcuRite.com would have the fix applied.

I am not aware of anyone having a notable issue with it connecting to Weather Underground, though, besides regular WU things.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #194 on: October 25, 2018, 11:59:29 AM »
Very nice to see Victoria, an Acurite representative, here in this forum. This makes a huge difference in in adding transparency and communication back from the company whom has recently closed up customer communication and appeared to be silent regarding the issues we are facing. It begins to right the ship after so many miss turns.

This makes me feel better about the impending Atlas Elite launch. I won't say that this makes everything perfect because Acurite still needs to listen some more to all of us weather hobbyists and professionals. In particular I think they need to issue a firmware update to the Access so that it gains the capability to easily pull our live data from it, to do with it what we please (use 3rd party software and report to more places and save our own data to any place we choose.) Without this feature the Atlas line and the Access will be seen by many of us as just a basic every-day consumer gadget, instead of a real piece of meteorological equipment.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 12:41:25 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Victoria

« Reply #195 on: October 25, 2018, 12:34:21 PM »
Very nice to see Victoria, an Acurite representative, here in this forum. This makes a huge difference in in adding transparency and communication back from the company whom has recently closed up customer communication and appeared to be silent regarding the issues we are facing. It begins to right the ship after so many miss turns.

This makes me feel better about the impending Atlas Elite launch. I won't say that this makes everything perfect because Acurite still needs to listen some more to all of us weather hobbyists and professionals. In particular I think they need to issue a firmware update to the Access so that it gains the capability to easily pull our live data from it, to do with it what we please (use 3rd party software and report to more places and save our own data to any place we choose.) Without this feature the Atlas line and the Access will be seen by many of use as just a basic every-day consumer gadget, instead of a real piece of meteorological equipment.

I agree that our ongoing communication is critical. As a matter of fact, regarding your specific example, at some point I will be asking more about new ways people would like to use their data, though I'll hold off on that topic for the moment.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #196 on: October 25, 2018, 12:39:03 PM »

Anything from AcuRite.com would have the fix applied.

I am not aware of anyone having a notable issue with it connecting to Weather Underground, though, besides regular WU things.

He might be referring to the UV and light reporting to wunderground.

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #197 on: October 25, 2018, 12:44:47 PM »
Speaking of UV, does the wiring fix also address the units that will not report UV past 2?

The replacement Atlas I received from AcuRite had both the lightning issue as well as the UV issue so I sent it back and kept the original one.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline Hiline

« Reply #198 on: October 25, 2018, 01:30:24 PM »
Hello everyone! Some of you probably know me from various AcuRite product beta and field tests; my name is Victoria, and I am a Product Manager at AcuRite.

I'm glad to come forward to say we have recognized the issue in some Atlas devices where lightning interference, and potentially false lightning readings, are occurring when the device is exposed to sunlight. We have identified a root cause, as well a resolution.

We would like to resolve this for any customers impacted, so please chat with our Support team on AcuRite.com if you are experiencing lightning interference during the daytime. As of today, our team has an updated action plan in hand to help you get this resolved, and quickly.

I am extremely grateful for the interest and input you all put into these discussions. As part of the investigation, these discussions assisted in pinpointing the behavior, allow us to more quickly replicate the problem and identify a root cause.

Now ain't this a breath of fresh air?  :grin:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 02:00:47 PM by Hiline »
Atlas and Pro+ 5-in-1

"If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is"

Offline Victoria

« Reply #199 on: October 25, 2018, 01:53:08 PM »
He might be referring to the UV and light reporting to wunderground.

Ah yes, we're looking into adding that in an upcoming Access firmware update. I don't have a timeline for it yet, however. That's unrelated to the actual Atlas hardware though.

Speaking of UV, does the wiring fix also address the units that will not report UV past 2?

The replacement Atlas I received from AcuRite had both the lightning issue as well as the UV issue so I sent it back and kept the original one.

UV would not be impacted by this fix. We're seen a few users with this issue, and we're currently looking into it. We can resolve this for a user with a replacement part (the rain bucket, which includes the light and UV sensors) but we're still investigating for a root cause. If you're running into this, please mention it specifically to Support so we can make sure to check it and test for it when it's here.