Author Topic: 2902A ObserverIP and meteobridge set up  (Read 2125 times)

Offline VinnyRI

2902A ObserverIP and meteobridge set up
« on: September 02, 2018, 07:17:28 PM »
Trying to get 2902A ObserverIP module and metobridge working. First I plugged the ObserverIP module into meteobridge lan port to lan port. Entered the ip of the ObserverIP module into meteobridge under Ambient Weather: Observer-IP. No data. Plugged them both into the router. Lose internet connection when ObserverIP module is plugged directly into router. Totally lost. Meteobridge hardware switch is set to router and in meteobridge itself, Network is set to wireless lan.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: 2902A ObserverIP and meteobridge set up
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 08:28:38 PM »
I tried getting the ObserverIP to use the LAN port on the Meteobridge, when the Meteobridge is connected via WiFi. I could see the ObserverIP on the network but the Meteobridge never could get data from it. I think it is because the Meteobridge is only trying to find the Observer IP in this case on the WiFi network side and not its own LAN port which is acting as a bridge in this configuration.

I got it to work when both devices are directly connected to my network. I'm still using the Meteobridge via WiFi. The ObserverIP is connected directly to the network and no longer connected to the back of the Meteobridge. I would recommend getting a paperclip and doing a reset on the ObserverIP if you are noticing network issues when you plug it in directly to the network.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline VinnyRI

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 05:02:53 AM »
I managed to get it all working. I started from the beginning and re did everything. The ObserverIP is plugged into the lan port on meteobridge. If I missed a step the first time don't know what it was. Just all started working. Problem I have now is the extra sensor is not showing up on ambient site. Supposed to be recognized without doing anything. Sitting a few feet away from the ObserverIP.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 02:10:15 PM »
Good to know you got it working. Also good to know that the LAN port does work on the Meteobridge to read the ObserverIP.

Extra sensor? Do you mean the WS-1000-BTH (does it have batteries and is it showing data on its LCD? Do you have the ObserverIP set to WS-1600-IP?  What version firmware is your ObserverIP running? On the ObserverIP do you have all the blue lights on?
Tele-Pole

Offline VinnyRI

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 08:17:18 PM »
I bought an extra WH31B. The problem is probably that the ObserverIP is connected to the lan port of my meteobridge. Not sure if the extra sensor is supposed to show up in the ObserverIP live data. I would think so but it's not. My whole network locks up within minutes as soon as I plug the ObserverIP directly into my router. It's a Fios Quantum router. Not sure if they still use Actiontec routers. It's an AC1750 wireless GB router.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 10:16:49 PM »
To use the extra sensors you need to set the ObserverIP to station type WS-1550-IP

Weird about your ObserverIP locking up the network. Try a different Ethernet cable. What version firmware is it running?
Tele-Pole

Offline VinnyRI

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 10:56:50 PM »
To use the extra sensors you need to set the ObserverIP to station type WS-1550-IP

Weird about your ObserverIP locking up the network. Try a different Ethernet cable. What version firmware is it running?

Thanks for the tip WS-1550-IP. Where does is state that?  Still won't be able to upload to ambient.net because I can't set up the mac address from the ObserverIP as long as it is plugged into the lan port of meteobridge. If I use the mac from the display console no problem but the extra sensor is no good with that. By the way the WS-2000 price jumped $40.00. Now $219.00. Firmware version 4.4.7
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 11:01:16 PM by VinnyRI »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 12:06:05 AM »
It says it right here. WS-1550-IP is ObserverIP with extra sensors. You have to be on 4.4.5 or greater.
https://www.ambientweather.com/amws1500.html

Tele-Pole

Offline VinnyRI

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 05:07:16 AM »
Changed ObserverIP to 1550-ip and the extra sensor to channel 2. Still no detection in the ObserverIP. Channel 2 showing in the lower right corner of the sensor.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 06:27:11 AM »
I have no more ideas. I have not used extra sensors. Contact Ambient support about your two issues.

One last thought about ObserverIP locking up router.... Do you have it set to DHCP? Or did you set a static in the ObserverIP? I suspect you are using a static and are conflicting. You might want to try DHCP. Set a DHCP reservation on your router for the ObserverIP instead.
Tele-Pole

Offline VinnyRI

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 07:59:23 PM »
I have no more ideas. I have not used extra sensors. Contact Ambient support about your two issues.

One last thought about ObserverIP locking up router.... Do you have it set to DHCP? Or did you set a static in the ObserverIP? I suspect you are using a static and are conflicting. You might want to try DHCP. Set a DHCP reservation on your router for the ObserverIP instead.

It's set to DHCP. Everything working as it should now. Ed was quick to respond to my support requests. Haven't had any of the lockups that you're experiencing and I have accessed the ObserverIP a lot. Just make sure I don't leave the page open.

Offline WA4OPQ

• Forecaster
  • 4 stations: 2902 array, GW1000, 3 on Meteobridge
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 10:09:50 PM »
I bought an extra WH31B.  Not sure if the extra sensor is supposed to show up in the ObserverIP live data. I would think so but it's not.

I set up my first WH31B last night. It does not show up on the ObserverIP, it only shows up on AmbientWeatherNet dashboard

Offline VinnyRI

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2018, 10:21:44 PM »
It won't show in the ObserverIP only Ambient.net. That it what I was told by Ed. The Outdoor2 Sensor ID and Battery is for the WS-0900-IP

I bought an extra WH31B.  Not sure if the extra sensor is supposed to show up in the ObserverIP live data. I would think so but it's not.

I set up my first WH31B last night. It does not show up on the ObserverIP, it only shows up on AmbientWeatherNet dashboard

Offline pimohdaimaoh

• Forecaster
  • "Be aware to our nature"
    • PIMOHWEATHER
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2019, 09:26:13 PM »
I hAve also my  observer IP And meteobridge hiwever both connected to my router through lan at first it works ok but in a matter of hrs it gets lost connection I dont know what cause both are set to dhcp it becomes ok every time i repowered the ip observe

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2019, 11:06:53 PM »
I had an ObserverIP and it was a nightmare to keep it up while the Meteobridge got data from it, which it needs to do constantly. It was so bad that I got a second ObserverIP thinking maybe I had a defective one. No matter what I did the ObserverIP would need to be constantly rebooted sometimes daily and sometimes it would last a week. I finally got crafty and I devised a way to automatically restart the ObserverIP whenever the Meteobridge lost data. To do this the Meteobridge would send out an email alert upon data loss, which then caused my email account incoming rules to send out a text message to my phone and then that text message would trigger IFTTT which would activate an action on SmartThings to turn off the ObserverIP and then turn it back on. Convoluted but it worked perfectly every time. The reason to have the email converted to a text was to speed up IFTTT response because otherwise it would be slow to respond to an email. With this automated routine I could forget about the unreliability of the ObserverIP. Well almost forget because I would see the text messages and it just bothered me how frequent they were sometimes.

Some people claim no problems with the ObserverIP and a Meteobridge. Maybe they are running older versions of Meteobridge. Or maybe their Meteobridge was on Ethernet (mine was on WiFi). I tested every version of the ObserverIP firmware and the problem never went away. I got excited every time the ObserverIP got newer firmware, but no nothing. I ran both ObserverIP devices simultaneously. Whichever one was just working alone and not providing data to the Meteobridge ran flawlessly. So it was definitely caused by the Meteobridge taxing the ObserverIP resources to provide it data via its Live Data page that would get scraped. The ObserverIP has a very low end processor and was just not built for such constant hammering of letting the Live Data page be scraped for data. One day I learned things got better if I set a static IP on the ObserverIP. Not a static reservation on the router, but actually entering in a static IP into the ObserverIP settings. It still didn't fully make the problem go away.

But all that is in the past. The solution is to buy an Ecowitt GW1000 and use that to feed the Meteobridge. The GW1000 is $30 on Amazon so there is absolutely no excuse for not having one. There is just no reason to put up with the ObserverIP nonsense. I don't know how much the Ecowitt GW1000 is to order directly from Ecowitt and to ship elsewhere in the world but it can't be much more.

Besides the great reliability of the GW1000 there is more to gain. You get to use a proper network API which the Meteobridge supports. You get to read in extra sensors. You get quicker sensor updates. The GW1000 uses WiFi unlike the ObserverIP which requires Ethernet. The GW1000 has a nice Live Data feature with WS View app. The GW1000 is newer and more powerful. The GW1000 will work for any frequency you order 433, 868, or 915 MHz. The GW1000 will see all your other sensors no matter the reseller branding from Fine Offset. The GW1000 gets power from USB and can conveniently plug into the Meteobridge. The GW1000 is easy to setup and use with the VS View app. Pretty soon the GW1000 will be able to send data to even more weather software simultaneously.

I don't miss my two ObserverIP devices... Good riddance!

TL;DR
Buy an Ecowitt GW1000 and forget the ObserverIP if you own a Meteobridge. Yeah there are many ways to open a can of tuna, but having the can opener is not only the best way, it's the only sane way. The GW1000 is the can opener. The ObserverIP is a dull jagged rock.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36772.0

« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 08:57:16 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline pimohdaimaoh

• Forecaster
    • PIMOHWEATHER
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2019, 10:15:07 AM »
Hello galfert,

Now I understand why, at first that was my plan to buy another observer IP to think that my observer ip got damaging over-time, since you experienced this and you give me the Idea, I will buy this.
Now I check Ecowitt website and woah its a cheaper as I thought and despite the price, its flexible

I will purchase this rightaway to separate my Meteobridge and my oberver IP since Im using this Observer IP for my WEEWX interceptor, so Im still need this IP observe, but without meteobridge grasping my IP observer, my weewx can breather flawlessly and let this GATEWAY System of Ecowitt do the job for my Meteobridge.

Thank You for introducing this new system to give me as solution to this problem

Regards

-Mike-

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2019, 11:02:14 AM »
If you get the GW1000 for the Meteobridge you can get rid of the ObserverIP even if you also run WeeWx. This is because the GW1000 can serve the Meteobridge and WeeWx at the same time without issue. The WeeWx setup even becomes simpler because everything can be on the same network. This is because the GW1000 can send WU packets directly to the IP address of the WeeWx system without need of creating a separate subnet. Soon I even expect WeeWx to be able to use the Ecowitt API instead of needing the Interceptor driver....once the API is published and new WeeWx driver gets created.

To send WU data to WeeWx with the GW1000 you setup "Customzied" server using the WS View app to set this in the GW1000. You basically set the IP address of the WeeWx system in the GW1000.

To send the Meteobridge data you just point the Meteobridge to the GW1000 IP address. I recommend assigning a static DHCP IP Reservation on your router for the GW1000. This way the Meteobridge will always have the correct IP address for the GW1000.

These are two different methods that the GW1000 sends data. The API method that the Meteobridge uses is a pull method. The "Customized" sever that the GW1000 uses is a push method. The GW1000 will do both at the same time without any problems.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 11:07:15 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline pimohdaimaoh

• Forecaster
    • PIMOHWEATHER
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2019, 11:17:33 AM »
Hmm Nice. . . .it show very flexible of using this gateay system. Thanks for that info.

will test that on actual soonest.

Offline WA4OPQ

• Forecaster
  • 4 stations: 2902 array, GW1000, 3 on Meteobridge
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2019, 08:27:56 PM »
Some people claim no problems with the ObserverIP and a Meteobridge.

I recently read an interesting term: "Silicon Lottery", some electronic devices work better than others due to variations in the manufacturing process. I'll chalk up my ObserverIP successes to that.  One required a reboot every four or five months and the other has only needed one once in two years. (Mine were static IP and the Meteobridges were on ethernet)

Regardless, I am happier with the GW1000s.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2019, 10:40:27 PM »
Silicon Lottery... I like that! That is exactly what CPU manufacturers do with their chips. They test them at different performance levels and the best ones get marked for higher clock rates and the others that don't perform get clocked down and cores disabled.
Tele-Pole

Offline pimohdaimaoh

• Forecaster
    • PIMOHWEATHER
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2019, 07:36:42 AM »
Now while WAITING my incoming GW1000 system, I temporary SHUT down my meteobridge, I have no choice I have to because it results to missed realtime weather data of my webpage and SINCE we have INCOMING tropical Cyclone NE of Zambales, were experiencing total rain cloudy now with some GUSTS and rains.

before it gets worse, I need to collect these ACURATE data on my weather station in the philippines, because as for now only 3 of us weather hobbyist but ONLY me have a complex and sophisticated weather webpage with the contribution of course with Seratoga, Brian Underdown, Wim van der Kuil an others. I can contribute detailed weather information in my country so I need not to missed those data, too bad its like Im wasting my resources to have my own meteobridge in the philippines but with your introduction to GW1000, I can reuse my meteobridge and aslo stabled with weewx

Now I will wait to arrive these new system ASAP

Offline VinnyRI

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2019, 04:33:40 PM »
It was a pain to get the observerip and meteobridge working but has since been working without any problems for just about a year other than dead batteries in the WH25B and the outdoor sensor array. Started with cheap batteries and said I'll get the Lithium ion tomorrow. Never did change them. They are now in both sensors. I did have one major problem. The observerip locked up and caused my internet connection to go out. The observerip was the last thing I thought would do that but that is what was causing the issue. I explained everything I had connected to my fios quantum router to fios tech support. Started to get heated with them. Their canned responses really started to piss me off. Kept telling me I had a bad eithernet cable somewhere. Their answer was to pay for elevated tech support to solve the issue. Hung up and calmed down then again started trouble shoooting on my own. Figured it out by not being able to log into the observerip. Rebooted it and all has been well in the 2 months since this happened. Only other issue was a cotton like spider web in the rain funnel on the outdoor sensor array.