Author Topic: WS-1002 vane gets stuck in one direction at night.  (Read 809 times)

Offline billv

WS-1002 vane gets stuck in one direction at night.
« on: March 07, 2018, 11:36:16 AM »
I have a WS-1002 mounted on my roof. I'm having some issues with the wind direction vane. It seems to get stuck in one direction overnight. Look at the link for March 3. https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KNCBLACK12&cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash#history/s20180303/e20180303/mdaily

Overnight it seems to peg at about 110 degrees, then frees up during the day and then pegs again night. Temps are above freezing so it's not that. The wind speed is about 10 mph so it should be moving. It only seems to do this at night. Could this be related to the batteries (I don't think so since it keeps transmitting though the night). I've taken a look at the vane and it seems to be free. The station is level. The vane is so light almost any eddy around the vane causes it to wander. Across multiple days, the vane pegs in the same direction - around 110. The next step is to take it down from the roof and see if I can duplicate the behavior. Switch to weekly mode to see how it does this only at night.

Ideas on this issue are appreciated. Thanks,

Offline steepleian

• The Claydons Community Weather
Re: WS-1002 vane gets stuck in one direction at night.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 04:25:20 AM »
Just checked on your WU site and note that your current temp is -5.5 Celsius. I have had problems with my WS-1001 just recently, wind and rain gauge. Just could not work it out as the batteries appeared to be OK when I took my station down to check.

Suddenly realised that it coincided with a cold snap here in the UK. Checking battery outputs with a meter indoors versus cold operating conditions are not the same. Replaced the batteries and everything instantly resolved even in the cold nighttime conditions.

I know that there are slightly different arrangements for the powering the weather station between WS-1001 and WS-1002 but I hope this helps.

Ian

Offline damoedge

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 09:10:34 AM »
Hi there,

I have a similar weather station to you albeit a clone but I have more of less the same problem as you....take a look here...

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=33930.0

It maybe a problem with your display console software...maybe reading my problem might give you some ideas....

Damien.

Offline billv

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 11:02:00 AM »
I replaced the batteries and the problem resolved. The batteries measured 3.6V in series and it should have been near 4.5V so it's likely they gave up the ghost. Not sure how the direction sensor works but apparently it needs adequate voltage to work. It was still transmitting to the base station so it had enough power to do that. The clue was the direction would 'unlock' shortly after the solar panel got light and there was enough power to run the system and lock again a few hours after sunset.

Thanks

Offline damoedge

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 11:17:16 AM »
I replaced the batteries and the problem resolved. The batteries measured 3.6V in series and it should have been near 4.5V so it's likely they gave up the ghost. Not sure how the direction sensor works but apparently it needs adequate voltage to work. It was still transmitting to the base station so it had enough power to do that. The clue was the direction would 'unlock' shortly after the solar panel got light and there was enough power to run the system and lock again a few hours after sunset.

Thanks
Glad you got it sorted out

I hope I get mine sorted somehow

Sent from my p8000 using Tapatalk

anything