Author Topic: WS-2902 Osprey Solar Powered Wireless WiFi vs WS-1002-WiFi Observer  (Read 13351 times)

Offline dtidmore

Re: WS-2902 Osprey Solar Powered Wireless WiFi RIP
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2018, 08:44:40 AM »
Well, it was a good unit until it wasn't!  After I chased the gremlins out of the Osprey (ie moisture intrusion), it had been an accurate and reliable station.  Then during an extended cold snap here in N Texas that included some light freezing rain, the humidity sensor failed.  My first thought was a cold solder joint on the sensor board, but once I pulled the unit down and inspected, I found that the WS-2902 unlike the earlier units, used a new IC sensor for both temp and humidity, so nothing to fix.  I contacted Ed at Ambient to see if he would sell me the sensor unit but he wanted me to RMA the entire unit.  Given that the unit had failed well short of a year into its life, I was disappointed. 

So, I revisited my options and finally concluded that despite the cost, the Davis station WAS the way to go.  I ordered up the VP2 Plus 6163 station as I wanted all the same sensors as the Ambient station had included.  Swallowing the high cost of the Davis as compared to the Ambient units was a challenge, but in the end, I came to the conclusion that I valued the proven, multi-year reliability of the Davis stations over low entry price. 

Offline Brandon

Re: WS-2902 Osprey Solar Powered Wireless WiFi RIP
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2018, 11:29:06 PM »
Well, it was a good unit until it wasn't!  After I chased the gremlins out of the Osprey (ie moisture intrusion), it had been an accurate and reliable station.  Then during an extended cold snap here in N Texas that included some light freezing rain, the humidity sensor failed.  My first thought was a cold solder joint on the sensor board, but once I pulled the unit down and inspected, I found that the WS-2902 unlike the earlier units, used a new IC sensor for both temp and humidity, so nothing to fix.  I contacted Ed at Ambient to see if he would sell me the sensor unit but he wanted me to RMA the entire unit.  Given that the unit had failed well short of a year into its life, I was disappointed. 

So, I revisited my options and finally concluded that despite the cost, the Davis station WAS the way to go.  I ordered up the VP2 Plus 6163 station as I wanted all the same sensors as the Ambient station had included.  Swallowing the high cost of the Davis as compared to the Ambient units was a challenge, but in the end, I came to the conclusion that I valued the proven, multi-year reliability of the Davis stations over low entry price.

Congrats on the purchase, the Davis Pro2 is definitely the number one station for reliability and accuracy. But not everyone is ready to step up and pay the extra cost for the Davis stations. For the price the WS-2902 is the next best option. There's no other station that can match it for value. Here's our review of the WS-2902 if anyone wants some more info https://www.weatherstationadvisor.com/ambient-weather-ws-2902-review/
Davis Vantage Vue - VIC, AUS
Weather Station Advisor

Offline dtidmore

Re: WS-2902 Osprey Solar Powered Wireless WiFi vs WS-1002-WiFi Observer
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2018, 02:19:24 PM »
I agree that the WS-2902 is a really nice little unit.  The fact that you can extend its reporting capability by purchasing the ObserverIP unit from AW (set the station type to WS-1600) and then connect the ObserverIP to a Meteobridge makes this a very versatile little unit.  I had VERY high hopes for it and was a fairly early adopter once AW introduced it.  I did and still do consider it a superior design to the older all-in-one station that AW still sells.  I was able to tweak the calibration into a very tight margin using the MADIS QC graphs that Phillip Gladstone posts on his CWOP site.  The unit held its calibration very well.  The anemometer was WAY more sensitive to low winds than the WS-1400-IP unit that preceded it.  The color display was a nice touch as well. 

But after having to pull it down 3 times in 6 months, I really began to question if I wanted to continue on with this unit.  The WS-1400 stayed up a year without issues (causality of nearby lightning).  I do think I am going to RMA the unit back to AW and get it repaired as I have a good friend that is interested in the whole PWS world, so I will pass it along. 

I am not complaining about the performance of the WS-2902, but again, even on my relatively easy to lower pole, it is still a PITA to do more than once a year or so.  The Davis setup will likely never require me to lower the pole as the anemometer/wind vane is the ONLY thing at the top.  The rest of the station is mounted at about 3 meters so I can reach it with a step ladder (the NOAA recommended 2meters would have put it within reach of curious hands). 

There does seem to be increasing random sensor failures being reported on the WS-2902 as the units approach 1 year in the field, but only time will tell if the station has longer term potential.

I learned a LOT about PWS stations with the AW hardware and the low entry price made it easy to justify.  I don't think I would have EVER plunged into the Davis station without having first had the last 18 months with AW hardware.

But as I stated there is a trade off of reliability for the low cost on the AW hardware, at least in my experience.  Still I would whole heartedly recommend the WS-2902 for someone wanting a nice, full featured starter station or someone wanting to step up from a less capable unit.  But once you compare the build quality as well as the years of history on the Davis VP/VP2 stations, the Davis cost factor is a bit more palatable.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 07:26:04 AM by dtidmore »

Offline dsafety

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2018, 03:53:50 PM »
This thread has been very informative. Maybe someone can help me with a purchasing decision relating to the WS 2902. I have a WS-1001 that has worked well for a number of years. Apparently the sensor array has started to fail. The temperature and humidity readings are not very accurate. Ed from AW, says that I should buy a replacement array, (ws-1002 version) and I will be good to go.

The problem is that a new array will cost about $100, delivered. This is more than half the cost of buying a brand new WS-2902. My indoor WS-1001 display still works perfectly. Does it make sense to replace the array or would I be better off buying a new WS-2902?

Offline dtidmore

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2018, 04:26:52 PM »
As to whether to replace the sensor unit or go for the 2902 really comes down to personal choice.  Before a nearby lightening strike took out the 1002, I had been pretty happy with it.  The 2902 is a newer design with newer chips, but based on what I experienced, its build quality may not be quite as high as the older design, but I do feel it is a superior design. 

I will say that the difference between the AW and the Davis systems is way more than superficial.  I have had zero issues since putting the Davis on the pole in April.  Out of the box, it was more accurate than the AW with the tweaks on the AW calibrations.  Overall, I have not had any second thoughts regarding the expenditure. 

david