Author Topic: Connecting Ambient Weather WS-2902A to CWOP  (Read 9503 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Connecting Ambient Weather WS-2902A to CWOP
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2019, 11:55:11 AM »
Method 4: SDR adapter

Use an SDR. Software Define Radio adapter and software. With this method you can pick up the wireless signal directly from your sensor array and indoor thermo-hydrometer-barometer.

Search and look it up. Just wanted to put this method in this thread list for completeness. I have no experience with SDR method. So I don't have much to say.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 01:57:46 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2019, 10:31:49 AM »
Method 4
So I don't have much to say.

:shock:

But seriously, thanks! :)

Offline Theo

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2019, 10:56:33 AM »
Method 4

Use an SDR. Software Define Radio adapter and software. With this method you can pick up the wireless signal directly from your sensor array and indoor thermo-hydrometer-barometer.

Search and look it up. Just wanted to put this method in this thread list for completeness. I have no experience with SDR method. So I don't have much to say.

Actually, while this is a bit tricky to understand and get going, once you figure out the basics, the SDR solution is pretty great.  If you go that route, just ask questions here, there are at least 3 of us that have it working with 2902A or 2000 and weewx/SDR.

Offline uajqq

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2019, 02:56:51 PM »
METHOD 5: see http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36181.0

I’ve been uploading to CWOP using a Python script I wrote that pulls the data from the Ambient Weather API, formats the APRS packet, and sends it to the CWOP server. All you need is a computer that’s always on to execute a Python script once every few minutes; otherwise, no special hardware required, and the computer doesn’t even have to be in the same location.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 10:33:46 PM by ewqcb »

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2019, 03:14:48 PM »
I’ve been uploading to CWOP using a Python script I wrote that pulls the data from the Ambient Weather API, formats the APRS packet, and sends it to the CWOP server. All you need is a computer that’s always on to execute a Python script once every few minutes; otherwise, no special hardware required, and the computer doesn’t even have to be in the same location.

Is weewx involved at all?

Can the script run on a RPi (Raspbian OS)? and can you share the script, please?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2019, 03:28:57 PM »

That sounds great. Would you mind sharing your code? I think it qualifies for being called Method 5.
Tele-Pole

Offline uajqq

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2019, 10:10:18 PM »
I started a new topic with detailed instructions for anyone else who wants to give it a shot:
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36181.0

Is weewx involved at all?

Can the script run on a RPi (Raspbian OS)?

weewx is not involved; it didn’t look like weewx supported Ambient Weather, so I didn’t even try. If it does support it, that might be a lot easier...

The script can absolutely run on a Raspberry Pi, or any OS that supports Python. I have a Mac running Mavericks, for example.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 10:11:56 PM by ewqcb »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2019, 10:23:27 PM »
Thank you for posting the procedure. In the other thread. I think you should edit you first post in this thread and in big font letters at the top of the post call it Method 5.

Weewx does support Ambient. It does so with two different options using add on drivers. There is the very popular Interceptor driver. The other method requires an Ambient ObserverIP device and then you use the WeeWx ObserverIP driver.
Tele-Pole

Offline uajqq

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2019, 10:31:57 PM »
Weewx does support Ambient. It does so with two different options using add on drivers. There is the very popular Interceptor driver. The other method requires an Ambient ObserverIP device and then you use the WeeWx ObserverIP driver.

Yeah, the requirement of intercepting data on the local network or buying a dedicated piece of hardware was what turned me off about the other methods. I should go back and give it another look, though.

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2019, 10:20:11 AM »
Yeah, the requirement of intercepting data on the local network or buying a dedicated piece of hardware was what turned me off about the other methods. I should go back and give it another look, though.

Exactly! This was what led to what I wrote more than 3 months ago (20181112)
... ideally the data could be optionally allowed by the user/ customer to directly flow forward in compliant packets, for example, to APRSWXNET/CWOP. Realtime API development could alleviate the need for the user that's willing to contribute and participate in https://madis.ncep.noaa.gov/, https://www.pwsweather.com/, https://www.awekas.at/en/, etc., to sift through the bewildering array of hurdles and disincentives.

Thank you Adam, and Amos Vryhof for brushing out the trail and doing the heavy lifting. Maybe the rest of us non-programmer types that own Ambient equipment might politely lobby for this additional service built upon your's and Amos's hard work, to be implemented through the customer's Ambient Dashboard and/or the awnet app; device dependent.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2019, 10:52:26 AM »
I don't know....I don't think CWOP and AWEKAS should be so easily accessible to the typical Ambient Weather customer. I like that there are hurdles of requiring extra hardware/software and even know-how to set these other services up. I don't want these other online services turning into another Weather Underground where the map is crowded with terrible weather station reporting, because of numerous issues; not calibrated, not maintained with clogged rain gauges, broken sensors that don't get replaced, poorly sited stations that don't receive proper wind, rain, and temperature readings.

It is already bad enough that there are a few CWOP stations that don't get maintained. But the fact that there are not too many per given area means that at least there is hope to reach out to these people as I've done. I've had most receptive response to other CWOP owners where I've pointed out defective Davis humidity sensors, and wrongly calibrated barometers that are not reporting Altimeter. It would be a nightmare if the map got crowded with people that don't know what they are doing and might not be so receptive to even care or understand what CWOP represents.

So I'm all for the barriers to entry to CWOP.

Also in reference to AWEKAS that is run by some strong willed Germans, they are intolerant if your station starts reporting bad sensor data. They will turn off your bad sensor that doesn't meet their QC. If you don't correct it and you continue to be a problem they will permanently block you. I think AWEKAS may not have be best bed side manners and they have turned a lot of people off, but I just think they are just being matter of fact where some people don't like this approach. In the past I've read about situations where there was disagreement that AWEKAS was comparing your station to a not so nearby station and it was impossible to sometimes achieve good QC. I think they have since fine tuned their QC to limit the area of what is considered a nearby station. Again I just don't see the average person being able to deal with AWEKAS reporting requirements.

My point is that if you invest in your weather station (time, money, respect) to get your data to these other places then you are more likely to take the time and initiative to do it properly. If it becomes as simple as reporting to Weather Underground then there goes the quality of that other weather reporting service.

CWOP and AWEKAS to me feels like an exclusive club. You don't want to let everyone in.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 10:57:12 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2019, 11:34:35 AM »
Here is another point about the exclusiveness of CWOP...

With Weather Underground crowded map you read about people often complaining that their station does not take precedence on the map. People are often upset that some other station with poor data ends up covering their station up on the map. We all wonder what the algorithim or methods are that WU uses to select which stations show up on the map. Such is the nature of being on WU. I like that when I look at Mesowest maps (or MADIS Surface Map) my station prominently is the only station within 3 miles. I don't want any other CWOP stations showing up closer to me.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 11:59:53 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2019, 11:43:46 AM »
Hi George,
I get your point and agree with it in principle. This is why I would lobby for making such an added cloud service available to Ambient customers exactly because of the opportunity to have their data critically evaluated for quality. MADIS is the arbiter of ingested data, and weight those data accordingly, without the artificial filtering created by requiring people to buy needless equipment, go through having to learn all the ins and outs of software design radio, enter the complexities of subnet masks, sniffing for packets through an open port network, and any of the other possible gyrating in order to satisfy APRS formatting requirements. Not that any of that might be fun for the sake of learning, it just isn't important to folks who just want to know if their data passes examination, or could be improved by doing something different, should it fail to pass examination.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2019, 12:24:56 PM »
I get what you are saying. You'd like to see a way to improve the quality controls for Ambient stations. I just don't think CWOP and AWEKAS should be the method used for giving this QC analysis. Just dealing with CWOP is not straight forward for most people to understand. CWOP forces people to have to deal with hPa instead of inHg and Altimeter which are terms most have never heard of. They have to deal with FindU and Gladstone and MADIS and understanding how it all fits. Then they have to deal with understanding what the analysis means and what standard deviation is and more.

Perhaps if it matters to Ambient to make QC a selling point they should invest in making AmbientWeather.net include such quality controls. Ambient could incorporate MADIS data into AmbientWeather.net for nearby comparison. The typical Ambient Weather customers has no idea that CWOP even exists. Most are happy with just Weather Underground, because that is all they know. I think Ambient could easily provide their own QC right inside of AmbientWeather.net.

Already Ambient allows for connecting to WeatherCloud and hardly anyone bothers. So perhaps enabling CWOP support will be treated the same where it gets ignored by most (at least I hope it would). When you see a good few stations that can't even be sited properly and people don't know how to find true North...that worries me.
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2019, 07:55:26 PM »
Method 6: Using a GW1000 and a Meteobridge

This method is almost like Method 1 in this thread. With this method you are still using a Meteobridge (or WeatherBridge) but instead of using an ObserverIP you use a GW1000 to provide the data to the Meteobridge. The GW1000 is something that Ecowitt currently has available. This is a new solution, as of today the Meteobridge started supporting the GW1000.

I would say that using the GW1000 is much better than the ObserverIP. The GW1000 is a newer device, it is small, and has the latest sensors built in for temperature, humidity, and barometric pressure. You can add various outdoor sensor array configurations to build a complete weather station with the GW1000. The GW1000 is not only compatible with the newest outdoor sensor arrays but can also work with the older WH24 type sensors.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 08:00:52 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2019, 10:48:14 PM »
Method 7: GW1000 with newest firmware to upload using "Customized" WU upload
Yes the GW1000 is compatible with the Ambient WS-2902A sensor array.

The newest released GW1000 firmware 1.4.7 now has a "Customized" menu to upload using the WU upload protocol. It also has the Ecowitt protocol with more sensors. But the WU is what for now works with WeeWx with the Interceptor driver. This facilitates the connectivity by not needing to sequester the console into a separate WiFi network in order to capture network packets intended for WU. Since the GW1000 will send the data directly to your your desired weather software (WeeWx in this case).

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Do not use the same WU credentials if you are already uploading to WU via some other means. What I'm saying here is that if your console is already sending to WU you don't want to have WeeWx also forward to WU. Essentially do not duplicate the WU upload. All you need is for WeeWx to see this fake WU upload to get the live data.

* I believe this method also works with other Ecowitt consoles.
Tele-Pole