Author Topic: Meteohub Project  (Read 779 times)

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
Meteohub Project
« on: December 29, 2015, 02:13:34 PM »
I have had some time available to brake things and fix them :P
One of those things was to migrate the OS of the current release of Meteohub Virtual Appliance...

Why?

Well the OS on which it runs is well outdated (Debian 4.0) and if I wanted to port it out of VMware (vmdk) and run it on KVM.
And to run the KVM Tools I had to had an updated OS.
So it took me a day to migrate the code from Debian 4.0 to Debian 7.9 (Still a bit outdated but I am not a fan of 8.0). Once I got it ported I than proceed it to upload my image to oVirt.

Than I attached the console directly to my host and presented the USB ID to the guest...  I present the USB port via USBIP which allows the guest to migrate from host to host just in case something goes wrong with a host..... Done. Now my VM runs on an oVirt cluster.
The cluster is not big. Its only 3 Hosts big but they do their job very well.
There is a significant improvement on re-computation... on my pi it would take 3 days to finish (Years worth of downloads), it now takes less than 5Min to finish.
I also have the ability to move the VM to what ever hypervisor I would like sense is a raw img.

This is fully unsupported and by doing this I do not get support from smartbedded (docbee) but its the price I decided to pay...
I also started playing with Alix 2D3 and I was able to get Debian 7.9 and Meteohub running... But its very slow... Slower than the Raspberry Pi.

My new project is to get the meteohub updates and script it in a way that it does not brake the current OS.
Than I am home free. :D

I was also contemplating the idea of virtualizing meteobridge but with the release of meteobridge pro it wont be worth it... I hope this one will be the all in one unit :D   \:D/

Good ol saying: If is not broken dont fix it... But that's for boring people :P
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 02:15:07 PM by xcom »

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb