Author Topic: WS-1200-IP/Ambient Weather Product Question  (Read 2054 times)

Offline Invader21

WS-1200-IP/Ambient Weather Product Question
« on: December 29, 2015, 01:31:37 PM »
Hello all. New member, and first posting.  I currently own an Acurite weather station with a malfunctioning sensor.  It is the second 5-in-1 sensor I have had with a problem.  The first replaced under warranty; but now they want me to buy another.  That's not going to happen.

So I am shopping for a new weather station, and the WS-1200-IP is my current choice.  But I am interested in the reliability of these stations, and the all-in-one sensor array in particular. 

My first Acurite sensor was replaced due to faulty humidity readings in the first 14 months of ownership.  The replacement sensor is now eating batteries every 2-3 months.  Other than that, it has been decently reliable.

I want to get a good feeling that the Ambient Weather all-in-one sensor has a little more staying power than the Accurate unit.  So...some questions.

1. Does anyone have any experience with the longevity of the Ambient Weather all-in-one sensor?  How long have you owned yours?

2. The inside display unit seems a bit more sophisticated than my Acurite LCD.  I have seen threads on upgrading the display, etc.  What is the technology behind this display?

I do like to publish my data to Weather Underground, so I definitely want IP connectivity.  That's why I chose the WS-1200-IP unit as it has both the inside display, and the internet connectivity, independent of one another.

3. What other Ambient Weather offerings would you recommend with pros/cons?

Appreciate any help, thanks!

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
Re: WS-1200-IP/Ambient Weather Product Question
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 01:46:22 PM »
So take in consideration the price of your old unit and the price of the new one. You are getting close on spending the same amount you would for a Davis Vantage Vue.
Just thought I let u know.

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline Arktikos

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 02:40:38 PM »
My WS 1400 IP (same but no display) has been running reliably since Feb. I think when this one dies I am going with something that has separate sensors, mainly because I am having to remove snow which builds up on the all in one unit under the wind speed cups and stops them from spinning. If I lived where it didn't snow so much I would be satisfied with Ambient Weather.
Alaska Data Portal:
http://tinyurl.com/q9rp3sw

Earth: a visualization of global weather conditions
forecast by supercomputers.
http://tinyurl.com/nbrgnnr

Offline arlowx

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 03:20:28 PM »
I also have the 1400 & will second the issue with snow blocking the anemometer. I have planned to separate my sensors but haven't yet (no real snow so far this year!) I installed mine last March. Still on original batteries. The rain gauge is always pretty close to my CoCorahs readings, sometimes exact. They are about 50' apart.

Otherwise, it has been a satisfactory purchase & I have no problem accessing the data on the computer or iPad.

The IP unit has been pretty stable also with almost no drop-outs. The sensor suite is about 100' from the base unit.

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 04:14:53 PM »
So take in consideration the price of your old unit and the price of the new one. You are getting close on spending the same amount you would for a Davis Vantage Vue.

I purchased the Ambient Weather WS-1001 Wifi for these reasons along with many others.
1. Price point
2. Easily gets your weather data online
3. Has most Sensors included

I believe because of this it has let me and many others to finally get started with a PWS and if I waited to purchase a more expensive setup I never would have gotten started.

Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

Offline Arktikos

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 06:44:06 PM »

I purchased the Ambient Weather WS-1001 Wifi for these reasons along with many others.
1. Price point
2. Easily gets your weather data online
3. Has most Sensors included

I believe because of this it has let me and many others to finally get started with a PWS and if I waited to purchase a more expensive setup I never would have gotten started.

That is certainly the case for me. Never would have gotten started with the prices of some brands. One thing that initially sold be on AW and I am still waiting for from WU is the wunderground app for the android platform. It was just another thing that really sold me on it, the ability to monitor indoor temp as freeze up and busted pipes are a real concern for me. Still hasn't happened and I can't quite bring myself to buy an Apple tablet just to access this feature.
Alaska Data Portal:
http://tinyurl.com/q9rp3sw

Earth: a visualization of global weather conditions
forecast by supercomputers.
http://tinyurl.com/nbrgnnr

Offline Invader21

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 10:01:46 PM »
Xcom - to your point, this is why I am questioning the reliability of the ambient weather equipment. It's already near the top of my price scale. So to go even higher for a vantage vue is something I don't think I can do right now. If the AW isn't reliable for 5 years or more I will forego a station for now.

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 01:18:43 PM »
One thing that initially sold be on AW and I am still waiting for from WU is the wunderground app for the android platform. It was just another thing that really sold me on it, the ability to monitor indoor temp as freeze up and busted pipes are a real concern for me. Still hasn't happened and I can't quite bring myself to buy an Apple tablet just to access this feature.

If you have an IPObserver module and use a meteobridge (weatherbridge) or airbridge you can use Weathercloud service to monitor your indoor temperature and humidity. 

I went this route after realizing I wanted more features from the AW 1001.

I've also only had this for 3 months so I cannot comment on longevity but so far it works well and compared to the other local stations in my area it passes QC. 

There are many discussions on here comparing Davis vs Ambient but the bottom line is you can get an Ambient Weather online with all the features and remote package for under $500 while the Davis units will cost almost twice that.

I also figured for now that if the array breaks a replacement is only $90. 
It's the display unit, Meteobridge, IPObserver, Website and Template Donations that add up :) 
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

Offline Invader21

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 05:11:43 PM »
Thanks to all for the responses. Unless I missed it however it seems there are no long time ambient weather all in one sensor owners to weigh in on reliability?  My old Acurite replacement failed after about 2 or 2 1/2 years. Would like to see at least five years out of a sensor.

anything