Author Topic: Ambient 1200 temperature different on base station vs observerIP  (Read 1287 times)

Offline gsenecal

Ambient 1200 temperature different on base station vs observerIP
« on: December 27, 2015, 09:12:22 PM »
Hello,

I set up my new Ambient 1200 yesterday and have had an intermittent discrepancy between the live data temperature reported by observerIP and that of the base station display.  For example, observerIP is currently displaying 39.7 F (and uploading that to WeatherUnderground) and the base station is reporting 40.3 F.  All other data seems to always match.  Anyone with any ideas why?

Thanks in advance

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
Re: Ambient 1200 temperature different on base station vs observerIP
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 09:26:13 PM »
Hello,

I set up my new Ambient 1200 yesterday and have had an intermittent discrepancy between the live data temperature reported by observerIP and that of the base station display.  For example, observerIP is currently displaying 39.7 F (and uploading that to WeatherUnderground) and the base station is reporting 40.3 F.  All other data seems to always match.  Anyone with any ideas why?

Thanks in advance

If Wunderground is matching the IPObserver's live data then it sounds like the calibration on the Display Unit is set +/- under the temperature setting.
Check the Display Unit and under the Calibration screen see if the temperature setting is set to default.   
Technically if both IPObserver and Display are all set to default settings the values should match.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 09:28:26 PM by StatenIslandWeather »
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

Offline gsenecal

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 11:35:26 PM »
Thanks,

I should have mentioned I did check that first.  It has not been calibrated up or down, and I haven't messed around with it since setting it up.  They also do eventually match (currently both display 34.2 F), but it seems when there is a quick change in temperature the display screen lags behind the live data.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 11:37:03 PM by gsenecal »

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 03:50:31 AM »
Thanks,

I should have mentioned I did check that first.  It has not been calibrated up or down, and I haven't messed around with it since setting it up.  They also do eventually match (currently both display 34.2 F), but it seems when there is a quick change in temperature the display screen lags behind the live data.

I watched my IPObserver and Display at same time.  I did notice when the IPObserver wind direction changed, the display unit changed a second or two later.  It does seem the Observer unit updates slightly quicker but technically they are receiving the same signal from the array.  If its updating temperature longer than a few seconds then it does sounds strange.
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew

Offline drsprite

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 12:39:34 PM »
I noticed that my display is different than the observerIP and contact Ambient support about it.

Here's what Ed said about the differences:

The console includes temperature averaging (about 15 minutes) so the temperature does not jump around rapidly.

The OberverIP does not include this averaging because of processor limitations, so you may see slight differences in the reported temperature.

Regards,

Ed

So I take that as the ObserverIP is getting the raw data right from the outdoor unit (which is good) and sending the raw data to Weather Underground. And the console is averaging that data (which is bad, because I want to see the raw data all the time).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 12:41:51 PM by drsprite »

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 01:50:39 PM »
I noticed that my display is different than the observerIP and contact Ambient support about it.

Here's what Ed said about the differences:

The console includes temperature averaging (about 15 minutes) so the temperature does not jump around rapidly.

The OberverIP does not include this averaging because of processor limitations, so you may see slight differences in the reported temperature.

Regards,

Ed

So I take that as the ObserverIP is getting the raw data right from the outdoor unit (which is good) and sending the raw data to Weather Underground. And the console is averaging that data (which is bad, because I want to see the raw data all the time).

That makes sense why you're seeing the difference in Temp but does raise other questions now.

I have my console setup to save data every 1 minute.  I'm curious now what Temperature data is stored in the database compared to the Display Console.

Thanks for update.
Tom

Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew

anything