Author Topic: NWS Survey on reactions to snow storm warnings  (Read 5261 times)

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
NWS Survey on reactions to snow storm warnings
« on: November 24, 2008, 09:56:50 PM »
This was in the MPLS star-tribune.

The NWS is gong to take a survey on why people heed or ignore winter weather advisories.

http://www.startribune.com/local/34968514.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUUF

When I see a survey, I will post a link

Article:

The return of winter to Minnesota means the return of a key question: How do you drive in this stuff?

This year, the National Weather Service wants to go further, asking people WHY they drive at all in the face of winter weather warnings.

In an online survey that will run at least through this winter and next, the agency and several partners in government, academia and the media will try to find out what makes some people stock up on food, water and gas when a storm approaches, while others shrug and head for the hockey game.

"We want to know why people act or don't act," said Amanda Graning, a meteorologist and forecaster in the Weather Service's Duluth office who is overseeing the survey. "If we have only a few sentences to write or someone on TV has only a few seconds for a warning, what is it that people will react to?"

Maybe the typical weather warnings are too larded with meteorological minutiae to help people judge the threat they're facing, said Graning and Matt Taraldsen, a St. Cloud State University meteorology and communications student who's managing the survey. For example, while a blizzard warning has a specific promise of winds of at least 35 miles per hour along with some snow, most people might not know the definition. Meanwhile, a "winter storm" warning may seem less threatening, but the heavy snow or ice can be just as crippling as the technical blizzard.

"We want to bridge the connection between what we as scientists see as the weather and what everybody in the public sees," Taraldsen said. "We want to fix that communications gap."

It may not be as easy as fixing a gap. Suzanne Stangl-Erkens, a St. Cloud State communications professor who helped design the survey questions, said she sees a "lack of trust" between the Weather Service and the public. Warnings may make things seem worse than they will be, she said, and that's what the public may remember.

But the Minnesota weather consumer may also have a bit of an attitude problem, she said.

"People tend to be fairly blasé [about warnings]," Stangl-Erkens said. "I think it's a Minnesota thing. But that's what [the survey] is trying to figure out."

The survey will be posted following winter storm warnings, the highest level of alert. Websites for the Weather Service offices in the Twin Cities, Duluth, La Crosse, Wis., Sioux Falls, S.D., Aberdeen, S.D., and Grand Forks, N.D., will post the survey, as will some regional television stations and newspapers, the Minnesota State Climatology Office and Minnesota Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management.

Questions will ask about more than travel habits. The survey also probes respondents for how they prepared at home after a warning, whether they bought gas or food or snow shovels, how they heard the warnings and how they passed information along.

By running the survey through at least the winter of 2009-10, Graning said she hopes to shed light on some puzzling preliminary findings.

In three test surveys following winter storms in northern Minnesota late last winter, fewer than 5 percent of the respondents allowed themselves more driving time after a weather warning. That was even the response to blizzard warnings for a storm that ultimately brought 30 inches of snow, winds exceeding 50 miles per hour and 300 survey respondents.

But there was a somewhat contradictory return, too. Of those people who did alter their routines after the warning was issued, 48 percent said they did so because of the prospect of poor travel.

Graning said the survey will help sort out discrepancies like that, while bringing the Weather Service feedback it's not used to getting.

"Bashing? Oh, yeah. We already got that," she said.

Bill McAuliffe • 612-673-7646

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline JOE

• Forecaster
    • Centralia IL Weather
Re: NWS Survey on reactions to snow storm warnings
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 10:10:50 PM »
Around here it seems people do heed the winter weather warnings and must like to eat French Toast the next morning.  Everyone gets out and runs to the store to buy bread, milk and eggs.

More serious though, the TV weather "gurus" start belching out all the warnings three to four days ahead of time, just to hear themselves talk, and the storm never happens.  It's the old "cry wolf" thing and a lot of people just don't put much faith in thier forecasts.

It's the shoveling 6" of partly cloudy off the sidewalk that'll get you.
Joe
www.centraliaweather.com
DW1376
KILCENTR2
K9RJN

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 10:26:27 PM »
There is a lot of that in the "reader comments" section.
Most of those people are nuts :evil:

We have a very good snow removal system. But most people think they need to get out. It is always easier getting around in town because the wind isn't as bad and the plows are out most of the time.  So what snow does fall, will get packed on the roads.

Some think they are immune to accidents and problems or need to get out for essentials.  or the popular "I've been doing it for..."

This will be an interesting survey. It will depend on who looks at the NWS site

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline JOE

• Forecaster
    • Centralia IL Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 11:29:03 PM »
OK.  I did not read the comments section before I posted.

Went back and read them.  Yep.  Most sound like they're nuts.

Hope they gather some good information and do something with it.
Joe
www.centraliaweather.com
DW1376
KILCENTR2
K9RJN

Offline coyotefred

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 12:56:16 AM »
'Seems like NWS has been off more the last few years, but the weather may be getting more unpredictable for them as they deal with climate change issues.

I think the bigger problem is the local news talking heads as was alluded to.  Hype and sensationalism to beat out the next station and keep us from switching the channel before the next commercial.  To hear them tell it we should be surprised that it sometimes rains heavily in summer and snows a few inches in winter.  And yes on the breakfast comment as well.  People run out and clear out the bread aisle in the grocery at the slightest hint of foul weather--as if the average American didn't have enough food in the fridge and pantry to last for several weeks...

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 08:53:21 AM »
I think most people just don't head weather watches/warnings simply because. Like Joe said. The meteorologist start rainting about a storm 3 or 4 days in advance that ends up not happening. Winter storms like any storm can change tracks at a moments notice. And then of course. Theres the storm at the guy says will miss you and it hits you with both barels.

The was a storm here about 8 years ago that started in the gulf of mexico. The meteorologists talked about it for days before it got here. Like usual most people simply ignored them. I closely watched this storm. It never seemed to stray off the predicted course. I kept telling everyone at work you better prepare. They thought I was crazy. Well it nailed us. The storm stalled right over the top of us. We had snowflakes a big as silver dollars. We had lightning & thunder. At one point it was snowing at the rate of over 4" an hour. We got over 3 feet of heavy wet snow. It caved in several bussiness and other structures. Our city was shut completely down for 3 maybe 4 days. We I returned to work. Everyone asked me. How did you know? I said I could just feel it. And a squirel in my backyard told me. How you may ask? I watched him for a day and a half working on his nest.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 10:42:12 AM »
That squirrel got any brothers or sisters that would like to live down south??  :-) ;)
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 01:44:20 PM »
Sorry no prothers or sisters that I'm aware of. I've always heard that animals are very secrative when it comes to their nests. But when arrived home the day before the storm hit. I was sitting at the table eating supper. I kept noticing this squirl running up and down the tree. Upong closer observation. When he went up the tree his mouth was full of leave and pine needles. I told my wife. It going to do something. When I awoke the next morning a looked out the window. There was that aquirel, hard at work. By later that evening we had well over 1 foot of snow on the ground and when it was all said and do we were over 3 feet. It was truely one of the most amazing snow storms I have ever seen. The NWS classified it as a superstorm. The NWS forecasted snow fall in feet instead of inches before the storm hit. And I thought the blizzard we had in 93 was something.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

blackjack52

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 03:29:54 PM »
When dealing w/ winter wx it should only be an advisory.  If the wx is bad enough, then curfews are implemented. The point being that an inch of snow is just as deadly as 12.  Actually, 12 is better to drive in because of better traction.  If you don't have the right vehicle for it, you're not moving. 

Also, what mightt be a winter warning in one area is normal in another.  I lived in Caribou, ME for 5 yrs.  Schools don't close unless it's a blizzard.

People heed a tornado warning but not winter warnings.

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 07:47:03 PM »
If life came to a halt around here because of snow, we wouldn't be doing anything for almost 6 months out of the year. It's just another day. The roads are kept clear (pretty much spotless), the sidewalks are kept clear and everyone just goes about their business.

Bob

www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 12:58:26 PM »
  Some one mention about food being stocked up. I bet the average lower 48 family  has no more then a couple days food stocked up.  My wife and I here have  at least 30 days food  in the larder at all times. We live on an island  and  with the threat of  tsunami's here it can be very real that the  airporrt and all locals docks get knocked out. Yeah we get the warning here then we watch the stations ( tidal) for surge form  the direction it is coming from. Also when we travel into the Alaska interior we take  food with us, camping gear and 60 below sleeping  bags. Wonder how many of you just  put on your loafers  and go to the store dressed ligthly and never think about getting caugth out in a storm. Al  from down the  coast a few miles from you so know  all about those nor easter  that Maine gets.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 02:32:58 PM »
My disaster supplies are not what they should be, we could last quite a while though.... One thing, at least since we started having kids, we have plenty of every battery type, usually have a 20 pack of every size lying around from all the toys "batteries not inlcuded..."

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

blackjack52

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 04:56:06 PM »
Scalphunter,
I hear you.  I did a very, very cold tour at Clear AFS, AK.  You forgot to mention a firearm.  When I was up there 97-98, an individual got stranded and tried hoofing it 10 mi back to base; it was only in the 20s, no biggy right.  The wolves didn't agree.  He was found several days later. At least the wolves were happy.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 08:16:58 PM »
... Wonder how many of you just  put on your loafers  and go to the store dressed ligthly and never think about getting caugth out in a storm...

I grew up on a busy city street near an intersection that at times averaged about 1 traffic accident per month plus people with mechanical breakdowns at least once a week or more.  I recall many times during winter watching people uninjured but with a disabled car dancing around cold and wet in dress clothes for work or just a t-shirt and tennis shoes waiting for the wreck truck or a family member to pick them up.  This was back before the cell phone age even.  A number of times we allowed the older and the younger respectable appearing into the house to warm up.  They would have been in real trouble had they broke down out in the county somewhere.

Me, I tend to go dressed like a farmer headed for the field where ever I go anyway with work boots, gloves and all but also carry extra boots, coat, rain gear, gloves, tools, and during the winter thermal coveralls in my vehicle.  One thing I've never carried though was food.  There's really no place I could be in my daily travels to and from work around here and not find a restaurant within a 30 minute to 1 hour leisurely walk.   :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 08:22:08 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2008, 02:03:02 AM »
 That may be true. But have you ever tried to move  around in a white out at 30 below.  It doesn't even have to get that cold but in a white out you can't see your hand at arms length and  that condition can come up fast. That why carry food and water so can keep body  btu up. It is all about calories, Even here in Alaska you can keep water from freezing with out a open flame. Keep it next to your body and  mad Al  here we pack anyways  Alaskan can carry with out a permit. Just have to watch it when going thru Canada that you hand gun is left home.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2008, 08:22:22 AM »
They're already talking about the next big storm moving in from the west that is supposed to give us another ice storm Monday night.  Hopefully not as bad as February.