Author Topic: Question about Virtual Weather software and ambient weather station use?!?  (Read 2454 times)

Offline Malakie

I just bought a Ambient Weather Station, the WS-2080.   I also downloaded the software, http://www.ambientweather.com/virtualstation.html to use with it.  However there is no listing for this unit so how do I use it?  I am new to all this as well..

The software and the hardware are made by the same group right?   Is there other software that can be used with this system... I like the visuals and the capabilities of the Virtual Station software linked above.. the very basic program that comes with the unit is pretty ...well basic...

Thanks for any help
Take it light.....

Malakie

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
First of all - WELCOME to the WXFORUM!

I would suggest that you contact the support group at Ambient and ask them that question directly. I don't think anyone from Ambient monitors this forum at all. You might find that the software will work with another weather station that is similar to your WS-2080.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
I do not know about the ambient weather program.  Is the supplied program Easy Weather?  If so. There are some other programs that will work with it provided you run easy weather at the same time.

WUHU and Cumulus will do it if you set them to read the Easyweather file that easy weather writes to your computer.      I think WUHU might be easier to setup the first time.

Offline KC9Q

Cumulus software will interface the WS-2080 directly.  Just select Fine Offset as the station type in the Configuration > Station Type setting.

Climate is what we expect.  Weather is what we get.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
In Malakie's original post, he very clearly states what type of weather station he purchased (Ambient WS-2080) and the link he included is for the Ambient Virtual Weather Station software package (VWS). The Ambient description on their website, only mentions Cumulus software. Thus, my reason for suggesting that Malakie contact Ambient to find out if VWS is compatible with the WS-2080 station.

A quick call or email to Ambient should answer his question.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline KC9Q

I use Cumulus with my own WS-2090 station.  That is why I suggested it.

Mike

Offline Malakie

I was able to get it working with Cumulus.  Now I just need to figure out what everything means, proper settings for everything etc..

New to this so a lot of it I am not familiar with much of the things listed in Cumulus settings screens.

One questions tho.. is there a way to have Cumulus monitor my weather station without having to be plugged in by USB cable?  Is that what the web option is?
Take it light.....

Malakie

Offline KC9Q

Malakie,

Here's a copy of my Cumulus station settings for my station you can use for a guide.  The USB cable is required to interface the PWS console, and the PC needs to on all the time.  That's how mine is running. 

Ambient sells a WiFi network adaptor called a WeatherBridge that will take the place of a PC, but I think the PC is still needed.  Maybe somebody on the forum can clarify that option.

Mike, KC9Q

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
One questions tho.. is there a way to have Cumulus monitor my weather station without having to be plugged in by USB cable?  Is that what the web option is?
No, Cumulus cannot monitor the weather station if it is not connected.  However, if Cumulus is shut down and then when you restart it Cumulus will read (catch up) the new data from your logger since Cumulus was previously shut down.

Not sure what you mean by the "web option".
Now I just need to figure out what everything means, proper settings for everything etc..
If you have read the Cumulus Help you will have noticed that it is important to select the correct units of measure that you want to use as changing them at a later time will then make your data unusable.

Enjoy,
Paul

Paul

Offline Malakie

No, Cumulus cannot monitor the weather station if it is not connected.  However, if Cumulus is shut down and then when you restart it Cumulus will read (catch up) the new data from your logger since Cumulus was previously shut down.

Not sure what you mean by the "web option".
Now I just need to figure out what everything means, proper settings for everything etc..
If you have read the Cumulus Help you will have noticed that it is important to select the correct units of measure that you want to use as changing them at a later time will then make your data unusable.

Enjoy,
Paul

Paul

Maybe I should have been more clear... I have it working with exception to adjusting the wind speed down 2 mph from what it is displaying..

And I have it plugged in via USB.  I just wanted to know if there was a way to monitor without that.

Finally, my comment about settings was in reference to I personally do not know what they mean or what the descriptions are..  I.E.  I have no idea what 'use b/l" means or 'vp-1min update for barometer' etc...  I am not a weather person just a newbie starting out and terminology and so forth used in some cases could use a better definition or tool tip to describe exactly what it is, what it is for and how it functions...
Take it light.....

Malakie

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
Hmm Well I thought the help file was pretty clear on explaining both of those.

Davis VP 1-min barometer update
Set this to force the Vantage Pro (and Pro2) barometer to update once a minute instead of the default 15 minutes. Note that you may not need this, more recent stations already update every minute.

Use B/L Set this if you have a Blake-Larsen Sun Recorder, and you want Cumulus to get today's sunshine hours from it. You need to configure the Blake-Larsen software to put the SRsunshine.dat file into the Cumulus data folder so that Cumulus can read it.