Author Topic: WS-2080A Low Outside Humidity Readings  (Read 1141 times)

Offline mmosier1

WS-2080A Low Outside Humidity Readings
« on: January 24, 2014, 10:18:45 PM »
I replaced my WS-2080A two weeks ago and have noticed my outside humidity readings are consistently lower than other stations in my area. For example, right now my station is reporting 35% while others in the area are around 50%. My reported temperature of 21F is consistent with others but my dew point is -2.3F compared to others at around 5.3F.

Any ideas as to why this would be happening and a solution? The new station is mounted in the same location as the old one which reported humidity fine before it stopped sending a signal out.

Thanks

mm ](*,)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 10:29:29 PM by mmosier1 »

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: WS-2080A Low Outside Humidity Readings
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 11:12:35 PM »
I've found that humidity readings are considerably lower for an outdoor sensor that's located near a structure with solid surroundings (cement, wood, asphalt, brick, etc.) such as on the north side of the house under an eave. A location out in the yard surrounded by grass and vegetation gives higher readings (including dew point since that usually uses humidity for it's calculation). My wx website shows this on my "Charts and Graphs" page. I have two separate stations deliberately setup this way (one on the shaded north side with tiles/cement/brick surroundings) and the other station out in the middle of the yard with grass. Both stations have the digital type temp/humidity sensor chips.

anything