Author Topic: I thought hurricanes were supposed to stay on the coast.....geez  (Read 8735 times)

Offline anchorageweather

• Forecaster
    • http://eetee.us/station/station.php
I thought hurricanes were supposed to stay on the coast.....geez
« on: September 17, 2008, 12:46:01 PM »
Here what my house looked like after the remnance of Ike came through my hometown (Louisville, KY):

The utility company says the power could be out for two weeks.  We have a generator so its not a big deal; however, I couldn't keep by weather radio stream up because by internet connection went down.  So I kept power, but had no way to upload the stream.  So much for my battery backup and generator.  Rats.....  I give up  ;)

Anyway, at least I don't live in Houston. compared to those guys - I've got it good.

South of the Tracks, Anchorage, KY

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
Re: I thought hurricanes were supposed to stay on the coast.....geez
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 04:38:52 PM »
Glad you're OK.  Looks like your house is lucky to still be standing!  :shock: 

That's one reason why I had all the tall trees within reach of my house cut down.   :-(

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 10:46:43 PM »
Glad your house survived!!!
I believe we need to send a few of the contractors going to Texas to Kentucky for awhile!

Wayne
www.smythweather.net
CW8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 11:15:01 PM »
And while right or wrong, surely arguable, that's why I don't have a great inclination to evacuate should a strong hurricane come towards Wilmington. We're not like the Gulf Coast, we don't have miles and miles (I suppose it's more like tens of miles) of sea level elevation that's so susceptible to storm surge. I'm sitting at about 30 feet...

When Hugo hit, it drove into Charlotte, Fran drove up into the Triangle area resulting in quite a bit of damage and power outages.Point being that if I evacuated inland, I could still face hurricane force winds and power outages. Might as well be in my own home without power than somewhere else...

Another difference geographically here is that we have quite a bit of more dense foliage/trees than other more tropical coastlines, which help reduce wind effects--something obvious when looking at my wind readings during Hanna with anemometer mounted maybe 5' above my roofline--but my house is effectively surrounded my very tall pines. I had a peak gust of 43 I think, while Wrightsville beach I believe saw a max gust of 73.

Anyway... I like to justify my desire to stay in my own home... :)
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline anchorageweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 06:28:42 AM »
Charlotte, Fran drove up into the Triangle area resulting in quite a bit of damage and power outages.Point being that if I evacuated inland, I could still face hurricane force winds and power outages. Might as well be in my own home without power than somewhere else...

Well your right about that.  We're 1000 miles from the coast, and we still got 81 mph winds!

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 09:28:25 AM »
I got first hand reports from a brother who lives in Cincinnati... even up closer to Cleveland they received quite high winds...

Down here, we also have much more of an underground power infrastructure, so if power goes out, there are fewer repair points that will get more people back on the grid... I have friends in the Raleigh-Durham area that were without power for about a week when Fran rolled up that way... lots of external wiring...
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 02:16:18 AM »
Ike was an anomoly.  We got the remnants of several of the storms in '04 and '05, but only rains and winds in the 20MPH range.  The fact that MO, KY, OH and PA got 70+ MPH winds from Ike was a statement on the size of the storm.  With a diameter of well over 200 miles, it took a long time for it to wind down.  That's also believed to be why it didn't spin up to a Cat 4 after crossing over Cuba as expected, just too much area to get going that fast.

I heard reports from power companies in KY and OH that some 80-90% of their customers went dark.  We were out for over 2 days, and I'm not sure they have everybody back on-line yet.

Offline anchorageweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 11:47:18 AM »
I heard reports from power companies in KY and OH that some 80-90% of their customers went dark.  We were out for over 2 days, and I'm not sure they have everybody back on-line yet.

Day 5 - Still now power, but at least I'm allowed back to my home.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 12:44:43 PM »
So it looks like your power went out at 2:37pm on Sept 14th.   How is you webcam still updating?  All your weather data on your site and WU ceased when the power went out and you lost your internet connection....

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline anchorageweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 02:44:42 PM »
So it looks like your power went out at 2:37pm on Sept 14th.   How is you webcam still updating?  All your weather data on your site and WU ceased when the power went out and you lost your internet connection....

Andrew

My webcam is in an different (undisclosed) location  ;)

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 08:34:38 PM »
Looks like that big tree was a near miss but did that other smaller tree in the background go over on the house?

Seen a lot of the same around here. I thought I could hear a generator still running in the distance today.  As of today at 4:00pm AEP said they still have just over 100,000 customers out.  There's 1700 out in my county yet.   I did not check how many South Central Power in my county had remaining but they seemed to have faired better this time then AEP did.

My lines are all overhead to the substation about 4 miles away.  From all the trucks I seen at the sub one night while checking the progress I would guess they had at least one tree go right into the substation.  Must of been  12-20 guys back there.  It feeds most of the East side of town.  #-o
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 08:41:47 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Bruiser

• Contributor
    • Miami Township (Just South of Dayton), Ohio Weather
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 10:45:48 AM »
That was a wild and wooly wind storm indeed.  In my neck of the woods in the South Dayton area, we had pretty good wind damage.  We lost a tall (pear family) tree in the front and lost many large branches on a maple in our back yard.  Luckily my weather station survived.  It managed to measure a 51 mile an hour gust a couple of times with many 40 + readings.  Not bad considering I live in a suburban area with many trees around.  Also the anemometer is only 22 feet off the ground.  We lost power at 3:15 Sunday and it came back up Wednesday at 3:40 pm.    My supervisor at work is still without power....That really must stink....

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 03:16:04 PM »
Here's an interesting account of Hurricane Erin reintensifying when it came thru Oklahoma with winds gusts up to 82 mph and rain up to 5" in one Oklahoma town.  It was in 2007, the rainiest year on record in much of Oklahoma.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline f86sabjf

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 06:32:46 PM »
well thats one good thing hurricanes are good for is getting rid of dying trees. Central Florida changed over night when those three hurricanes came through a few years ago. Those grand old oaks fell left and right.
  I'm only 20miles from the coast . Anything over 120mph predicted I'm outta there. The house can fend for itself. I went thru Andrew and saw 140 plus. Never  will i do that again.
acu-rite #825

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 07:13:15 PM »
I was in Pompano Beach for Andrew. Very cool! Stayed outside on a west facing wall. Pretty awesome.
I've been lucky so far. Living where I do I am semi-protected but a big one would be scary. My house is only wood frame/stucco with a cinder block foundation. I really wonder if it could handle 100mph winds.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 07:30:46 PM »
Back in the summer of 2004 when hurricane Ivan pounded Fla. then continued up through the states, it unleashed over 40 tornado's just through Va., one "redesigned" our house and a couple of my neighbors house's. 10 days later hurricane Jeanne pounded Fla. and came up through Va. with record flooding. We had water up to the hood on our SUV. Being inland doesn't mean your safe from hurricanes I guess. :???:

anything