Author Topic: Like your viewpoints  (Read 1472 times)

Offline wxman1952

• Forecaster
    • Saginaw County Weather
Like your viewpoints
« on: December 03, 2013, 10:47:28 PM »
I been working on my weather website. I have my usual home page, then I made another with a "wide layout style". Just wondering how they compare with each other on a computer other than mine.

My normal one: http://saginawcountyweather.webs.com/

The new wide layout form site: http://michiganlivewxcenter.webs.com/

Which do you prefer? I don't have everything the same on each. I can add something one doesn't have, but I'm just wondering if the wide layout style causes you to scroll to the right too much which may be difficult or doesn't matter. Maybe the normal narrower one is more likeable? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Re: Like your viewpoints
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 06:46:50 AM »
almost got a crick in my neck on the wide/full screen with my large monitor.. :lol: almost overwhelmed me... wow.  Looks good full blown widescreen... Right hand column and content wander in and cover main on smaller window, or different aspect monitor... you might want to make it fixed width.
Personally, I prefer a 'narrow', with scroll down, and have my site templates locked for that, just a personal thing... I often work with multiple windows open, and 'wide pages' are inconvenient for that, whether fixed width or responsive, for me anyway,....but both pages look good except for that issue above.
Good looking pages!
Mike

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 08:35:34 AM »
The webcam images are extending outside the confines of the page.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 08:43:07 AM »
I prefer the widescreen.  Because I have a widescreen as my daily driver.  But in both caes, wherer are the current temps???
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 04:01:35 PM »
I prefer the widescreen.  Because I have a widescreen as my daily driver.  But in both caes, wherer are the current temps???

It's there, but in a small box.

I like the narrow screen a little better, since the web shots are all visible in a row with no need to scroll for any of them like on the wide page.  It's also a little neater looking and unlike the wide display, has a menu.

But on the other hand, if it's been designed right with user friendliness in mind, I prefer widescreen  front weather pages as long as most anything you want to know about the current and future weather is so well set up that it's not necessary to do any scrolling.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 09:30:47 PM »
I generally prefer wide screen but your first link, narrow, looks better to me.

Paul

Offline wxman1952

• Forecaster
    • Saginaw County Weather
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 03:37:47 PM »
Thanks everyone. I am going to use the narrow one. I did "tweak" it a bit with some map sizes etc. Nothing too much. As for temps, I do have the local temp on the home page, put on the page "current conditions" I have mine and all the area recording stations.
Thanks again, Now if only I could get some snow. lol

anything