Author Topic: Making a Long Term Winter Forecast?  (Read 1680 times)

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
Making a Long Term Winter Forecast?
« on: October 17, 2013, 01:54:51 PM »
Someone came up to me today and asked if I could give them a long term outlook on this year's winter weather, and though I could use some models to get an idea for up to 2 weeks, I have never done any kind of long term forecasting.

So I was wondering, what kind of variables and maps do you look at when making long term forecasts like that?
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Re: Making a Long Term Winter Forecast?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 03:38:04 PM »
I watch to see how much firewood the Indians are gathering...

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 11:43:27 PM »
White man next to me got 20 cords cut and stack and still gathering.

John

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 09:40:53 AM »
I saw no Woolly Worms at all this fall. Trees haven't turned very much here yet so I am waiting to see how long the leaves stay on the Burr Oaks.

My prediction for Central Illinois.....decreasing daylight, followed by cold crappy conditions. Some snow to make things miserable but only falling on the weekends. All this followed by increasing light and better conditions by early next year until it warms up again.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 02:33:00 PM »
Cue the "Hippy Dippy Weatherman..."
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline richard583

• Senior Contributor
  • Paradise, CA
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 12:59:05 AM »

Mainly you would check the current state of ENSO. This set beside what's said more generally with considering where it's at.
—> wider graphic .

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 01:11:52 AM »
I saw no Woolly Worms at all this fall. Trees haven't turned very much here yet so I am waiting to see how long the leaves stay on the Burr Oaks.

I've seen several, but no consensus on their band patterns.  I've seen some with no bands, others with narrow bands, and others all dark.  As I understand the concept, wider, darker bands are supposed to indicate snow.

Some trees are nearly bare, but never really charged color.  They just dropped their leaves.  Others are just starting to turn.  Grass is still growing in most areas, but at a slower rate.

Hummingbirds left about the same time they did last year.

People I've talked to have a 'bad feeling' about this winter.  We really haven't had much winter for the last three years and they feel we're overdue.  For some reason, I've been seeing and hearing references to '77-'78, which I really don't want to think about.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 01:12:35 PM »
Out for my walk today, I saw at least 10, maybe more.  All of them were mainly brown with little or no black banding.

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 12:38:53 PM »
Joseph, there are many variables that go into a long term forecast, and much past a month, none are very accurate at all. I just did a blog post about the next several weeks that you can see here. http://dacula.patch.com/groups/north-georgia-weathers-blog/p/looking-ahead-to-december

I touched on some of the pieces you would need to look at, and just skimmed a few others. It's a complex interaction between teleconnections, ENSO, MJO, and others, that are needed to even get close. Persistence also comes into play. And to create a forecast, you actually have to understand some of those interactions and how the play off of each other.

anything