Author Topic: GRL3 Quits Uploading Images if someone Switches User Accounts  (Read 8040 times)

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.wxbeacon.com
GRL3 Quits Uploading Images if someone Switches User Accounts
« on: August 25, 2008, 05:00:02 PM »
Wow. Growing pains whenever I try something new. :lol:

I started uploading GRLevel3 images to my web site. It works well except for this:

If mine is the active account on the desktop, then GRL3 uploads images to my web server fine. If someone in the family uses "Switch User" so they can log in (so they don't actually log me out), then GRL3 stops uploading images to the server. I've observed this behavior for several days now. Initially I thought it might be an ftp stability issue, but it happens only when someone uses "Switch User" to log themselves onto the PC.

Any thoughts? Is there a setting that I need to change somewhere so GRL3 will continue uploading images to my web server? Maybe a setting in GRL? Maybe a setting in XP?

Thanks!

Regards,

Kevin...
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan
Hardware:  Davis Vantage Pro Wireless, Midland WR-300
Software: VWS 14.01p43, WeatherFlash, & GRLevel3

Offline lulu836

• Linda
Re: GRL3 Quits Uploading Images if someone Switches User Accounts
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 05:21:52 PM »
That's exactly why I took my GR3 page offline.......I like to see what is going on weatherwise in different locations and if I'm away from the local radar very long it comes up with no information available.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 10:00:03 PM »
I found out that using LogMeIn.com will kill the ftp uploads.  I think I read someplace in the GRL forum it changes settings in the graphics settings that causes the issue.  I switched to TightVNC and resolved that.  I wonder if something similar might be happening when switching users?
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 09:40:46 AM »

I found out that using LogMeIn.com will kill the ftp uploads.  I think I read someplace in the GRL forum it changes settings in the graphics settings that causes the issue.  I switched to TightVNC and resolved that.  I wonder if something similar might be happening when switching users?

Coincidentally, I do have LogMeIn enabled, but I rarely use it to login remotely.

Taking Mark's post to heart, I disabled LogMeIn and switched user accounts on the PC, but GRL3 quit uploading radar images to my server anyway. Even with LogMeIn disabled, I suppose it's still running something in the background, so I guess the next test would be to remove LogMeIn altogether.

Does anywone else have this problem of losing GRL image uploads upon switching PC user accounts?

I posted the same question on GRLevelX's owner's forum, and this is the only reply I've received by another owner:

I believe this has to do with the fact when you switch accounts, your GPU switches to the new account and directx is lost on the "suspended" account. This actually forces GR to stop displaying the data and thus stops the FTP.

Does this seem plausible? (By "GPU" does he mean graphics card?) If that reply seems plausible, is there a solution?

I'm surprised more GRL owners wouldn't experienced the same problem. If this is the way GRL works, then I would expect reply after reply that says, "Yeah, that's what mine does..." Either that or many of you who upload GRL images to servers have a dedicated weather PC on which you don't have to switch users?

Thanks!

Kevin...
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 10:11:51 AM »

Update:  I exited LogMeIn (more than disabled it), and then switched user accounts on the PC (leaving GRL3 running on my account). Nevertheless, GRL3 quit uploading radar images to my webhost server. So it doesn't seem to be LogMeIn causing the problem. Hmm...

Kevin...
Mae govannen!

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 08:55:09 PM »
Coincidentally, I do have LogMeIn enabled, but I rarely use it to login remotely....

The only time I had a problem with it was when I actually logged in using LogMeIn from my laptop.

I believe this has to do with the fact when you switch accounts, your GPU switches to the new account and directx is lost on the "suspended" account. This actually forces GR to stop displaying the data and thus stops the FTP.

Does this seem plausible? (By "GPU" does he mean graphics card?) If that reply seems plausible, is there a solution?..

Graphics Processing Unit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_processing_unit

I had to look it up to be sure.   ;)

DirectX was the word I was looking for last night that alluded me.  That is what supposedly LogMeIn was making changes when you logged in that was causing the trouble.  The way I understand it (which may not necessarily be the correct way as I only have a vague grasp of what all is going on in there) is GRL does most of it's processing within the graphics card or on motherboard chip compared to some other programs that are said to do more of the processing or number crunching for the images in the computer's microprocessor and memory.

Here's the thread that cued me into the LogMeIn issue:

http://www.grlevelx.com/owners/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3529&p=29366&hilit=logmein#p29366

But note, in my issue with LogMeIn the ftp never worked again until I restarted GRL from the computer it was being run on.  So your issue is a little different since it starts back up when you switch back your user.

Just me, myself, and I here so I've never run multiple users on XP.  Do you have it set to run for "all users"?
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 09:35:29 PM »
I think that anytime that GRLevel3 loses direct access to the GPU, it will stop working.  That can be via LogMeIn (I'd had that problem too), or if GRLevel3 is not running as the 'current user' so it doesn't have access to the desktop/graphics anymore.

So... recommendation is to let GR3 run on a dedicated weather station PC (with the other goodies like WL, WD, VWS, VPLive, VirtualVP, etc).
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 11:17:31 PM »

Mark and Ken:

Thanks much for the feedback. The consistent explanation I'm getting from you both and from GRLevelX's owner's forum is the loss of access to the GPU, whether it be from switching users (as in my case) or from a remote access program (as with Mark and others). Well, guess I need to save my greenbacks and look at getting a separate, dedicated weather computer. It would make my wife and kids happy if I free up the computer. (Well, my wife won't like the $$$ part. #-o Apparently one needs gas to get to work to make the $$$ to buy the computer. ](*,) Since businesses can raise prices whenever they need to, shouldn't I be able to raise my salary whenever I need to? :idea: Wait, I tried that...it doesn't work. :mad:)

Thanks again!

Kevin...
Mae govannen!

Offline NGRRFan

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 10:30:09 AM »
Actually it doesn't cost all that much to get a dedicated weather computer. All you need is to keep your eyes and ears open for someone who is replacing their computer and offer to take that computer off their hands. Craig's List and local Freecycle bulletin boards are a good source to start with. The big misconception is that there is no use for an old(er) computer and people don't know how or where to get rid of them.   :-)

I have acquired 4 (four) 400-600 Mhz computers from various sources/people all for free. With a bit more effort I then got monitors, keyboards and mice for them and now one is a dedicated weather station computer and another is dedicated for GrLevel3 radar.

You never know what people will give you for free until you ask.   :lol:
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 10:31:53 AM by NGRRFan »

jwyman

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 12:25:40 PM »
Mark,
 I just ran into that scenario today but found the FIX! I really like LogMeIn and it has been working great until I found out it starting killing the FTP session and picture output .

What really is happening is that the FTP session is not getting killed but that GRLEVEL3 and LogMEIn are conflicting with the DirectX drivers and video card. I solved this by making LogMeIn use the fastest graphics possible (reducing color output to B&W). Not only could I now monkey with GRLEVEL3 while remotely logged in, but also I could now make adjustments to GRLevel 3 and have the FTP transfers working. Cased Solved!  \:D/  \:D/  \:D/  \:D/

Jim

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 05:38:06 PM »

Actually it doesn't cost all that much to get a dedicated weather computer. All you need is to keep your eyes and ears open for someone who is replacing their computer and offer to take that computer off their hands. Craig's List and local Freecycle bulletin boards are a good source to start with. The big misconception is that there is no use for an old(er) computer and people don't know how or where to get rid of them.   :-)

I have acquired 4 (four) 400-600 Mhz computers from various sources/people all for free. With a bit more effort I then got monitors, keyboards and mice for them and now one is a dedicated weather station computer and another is dedicated for GrLevel3 radar.

You never know what people will give you for free until you ask.   :lol:

Hmm. That's a thought. A few months ago a friend of my wife's gave us her old computer (with keyboard, mouse, & monitor). When she gave it to us she said it worked fine. Naturally, when I went to start it up Windows wouldn't start. (It's getting power, so it isn't the power supply.) I don't know enough about computers to know where to begin to try to fix it. Maybe I can take it to my favorite PC fix-it store and have them look at it. As you say, maybe it'll be an easy fix.

Thanks!

Kevin...
Mae govannen!

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 05:43:24 PM »

Mark,
 I just ran into that scenario today but found the FIX! I really like LogMeIn and it has been working great until I found out it starting killing the FTP session and picture output .

What really is happening is that the FTP session is not getting killed but that GRLEVEL3 and LogMEIn are conflicting with the DirectX drivers and video card. I solved this by making LogMeIn use the fastest graphics possible (reducing color output to B&W). Not only could I now monkey with GRLEVEL3 while remotely logged in, but also I could now make adjustments to GRLevel 3 and have the FTP transfers working. Cased Solved!  \:D/  \:D/  \:D/  \:D/

Jim

Good work, Jim! (doesn't solve my problem, but will definitely help others!)

=D> =D> =D> =D>

Man I love this forum!

Kevin...
Mae govannen!

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 08:30:38 PM »
Mark,
 I just ran into that scenario today but found the FIX! ....

Thanks Jim!  I'll have to give that a try.   8-)

I've been dragging my feet opening up TightVNC through my firewall to the internet outside of my home network.  I was uncomfortable with my skill level and afraid I might open myself up to drive by hacker.  Also I really did not want to load the associated software on a computer at work which is where I normally am at if something quits working.  LogMeIn was a simpler solution with what at least seemed like decent security to me.
Mark 

jwyman

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 09:04:43 AM »
Mark,
  I was down in Avon , NC ( Outer Banks ) and was monitoring my weather PC from there. LogMeIn was a great help since one night, we had a huge storm that knocked out power and internet. By going into LogMeIn, I was able to get things back up ( things that needed to get re-started ) . Most of my stuff is automated through StartWatch. I really went into the PC just because of GRLevel3 and trying to get it to start retransmitrting the screen images... It didn't work though... Now with this fix/find,   \:D/  I can use LogMeIn with no hassles and full control capabilitites...

I liked LogMeIn also due to it's simplicity yet versatility. Security seemed to be really good too...

Jim

Offline wxcrw

• Castle Rock Weather.org
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2008, 12:26:07 PM »
Too much of this weather software runs as a foreground application. I highly recommend dedicating a pc to only run weather software. It doesn't have to be a monster, and most likely can be an old computer too slow for today's games, media, and applications. I've used a little Pentium 4 with 1 GB of memory for over a year. No issues, always done the job at hand.

As for connecting to your weather server, has anyone tried using Microsoft Remote Desktop (RDP)? We use RDP 99% of time at work to connect to our servers. Only when there is a problem booting into windows do we use the KVM console.

To make sure you connect to the same session as the console (basically what your monitor sees) you need to include a single switch. Depending on the version of RDP you will need to use either '/console' or '/admin' (/admin is for Windows server 2008, Vista SP1, and maybe W2kx if you upgraded to latest RDP client). Be part of all, It doesn't appear to impact GRLevel3.

For remote access (outside my firewall) I use Himachi. Himachi (basic) is a free VPN software, by logmein,  that connects one or more computers in a himachi network. I created a private network on himachi, which I join only my pcs. I then have full access to my remote computers like they are on the same local network. File Shares, Remote Desktop, and even my Itunes collection. Himachi appears as its own network adapter on your machine, and gets an IP address via DHCP.

I've been using it for a while now, and have not had a problem with security. I suggest using complex passwords, and using different passwords for machines/vpn/ and internet sites. I also recommend changing your passwords regularly. Its a pain but so is uninstalling trojans and rootkits left behind by a hacker.
Castle Rock Weather
www.castlerockweather.org

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2008, 01:16:08 PM »
I've been a big fan of Hamachi since before LogMeIn bought them. www.hamachi.cc if you are looking.

Hamachi installs itself as another network interface, complete with an address in the otherwise unassigned 5.xxx.xxx.xxx space. Think of it as easy VPN.

You can have up to 16 computers in each free network, and multiple networks on each machine, if you need them. I have a main Hamachi network for my home network, and one each for work and another project.

Since Hamachi is secure and encrypted, I thin use the free RealVNC for remote desktop access.

Also, Hamachi has a Linux driver so that you can use it with Linux boxes as well.

One little side benefit... The Hamachi control panel shows which computers are on-line, so you can tell at a glance the health of your network (or, in my case, if my parents are on-line).

anything