Author Topic: Meteobridge can now read data from Acurite Internet Bridge  (Read 8272 times)

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
Meteobridge can now read data from Acurite Internet Bridge
« on: July 21, 2013, 06:26:43 AM »
As discussed previously in this forum, data collected by an Acurite Internet-Bridge and transported to Acurites Aculink website can be sniffed to be used for non-proprietary services when some device is put in-between.

Newest version of Meteobridge (1.7) does support this.  :grin:
Simply register your Meteobridge in your WLAN and connect the
free LAN port of your Meteobridge to the Acurite Internet-Bridge
by means of an Ethernet cable. Select "LAN Bridge" mode in
Meteobridge and select "Acurite Internet-Bridge" as station.
As a result Acurite Internet-bridge will work as before (but is
now connected to your router via WiFi) and the sensor data
wil also appear in Meteobridge, which does give you tons of
processing options (including updates to WU every 10 seconds).

some pics to illustrate how it works... black cables are just power...
no outgoing LAN cables there!  \:D/
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 06:29:06 AM by docbee »
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Meteobridge can now read data from Acurite Internet Bridge
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 11:16:57 PM »
Trundles off to find an Acurite station at Lowes....  :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline eas

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 03:25:01 AM »
Nice! This could save me a lot of hassle!

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 05:36:32 PM »
Using really, really simple terms, how do I flash meteobridge to my new tp-link 3020 router?  I have read the "getting started" pages and I am still confused.  Other than the tp-link 3020 router and Ethernet cable, what do I need?  How do I get the meteobridge software for the router?  Any suggestions will probably help!

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 07:22:40 PM »
I thoght the description is clear enough... could you please point to the phrase you dont understand?
Please consult the TP-Link manual to understand how to get access with your browser to its web interface. What the manual will tell you is basically that you have to connect your PC/Laptop via ethernet cable, and log in to the router's web interface (IP is 192.168.0.254, login name is "admin", password: "admin"). When you have access to web interface of TL-MR3020, overwrite factory firmware like a regular firmware update by meteobridge-tl-mr3020-v1.2.bin (when error message 18005 occurs, something has happened to the file. Please download again). Wait until unit restarts. After that it will be a Meteobridge client in standard configuration receiving an IP via DHCP from your router in the LAN.

Basicly, you do these steps:
  • setup MR3020 in your LAN as described in the MR3020 manual
  • login, goto MR3020 web page where you can flash new firmware
  • download meteobridge firmware from the provided link
  • install firmware via MR3020 web interface
  • wait until it has rebooted and LED stops blinking, going to solid green
that is all.
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 04:09:33 PM »
Thanks for your response!

Yes, your instructions were clear enough...unfortunately, they don't work.  The first problem is that I cannot even access TP-Link's web interface by typing 192.168.0.254 into any browser and, in reading through comments in several forums and written articles about the TP-Link micro router, I am not alone with this problem.  Apparently, there is a fairly complicated way around the issue but, as a home user wanting only to refresh data to WUG more rapidly, it is not something I want to attempt.  So, I will be returning the router and hoping to get a refund.  If not, as you said, it was not a big investment.

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 04:12:28 PM »
I forgot to mention this, but I attempted to contact TP-Link customer service but have received no reply.

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 05:57:51 AM »
I guess your problem with not being able to reach the MR3020 web interface has to do with
your bowsing PC not being in the same class c subnet. In general I recommend to follow
instructions from TP-Link how to login to their device (at that point this has nothing to do
with Meteobridge).

However, I will try to explain how I do it with new MR3020 devices to make Meteobridges
out of them.

1) connect MR-3020 with an ethernet cable to your LAN
2) power on MR-3020
3) set IP of browsing PC temporarily to 192.168.0.123 (to meet MR3020 in same class c subnet)
4) browse to 192.168.0.254
5) login and flash
6) set IP of browsing PC back to former IP

Good luck.

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 08:41:08 PM »
Thanks, docbee!  I got it and my Meteobridge is up and running.  Brilliant device!  Not the easiest thing I've ever done, but I really enjoyed the mental exercise and I am very happy with it.  I will recommend to others, too.

Offline Drosera67

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 02:14:53 PM »
Crap - I wish I read this before I bought my Vantage Vue and gave my brother my Acurite kit. I wasn't happy with the 15 minute update rate. The Davis cost a mint more than the 5 in 1 from Acurite :-(.

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 03:28:24 PM »
Yes, that's too bad!  I've had my meteobridge running since Sept. 28 and it's never missed a beat.  I'm updating WUG every 1 minute...you can go lower, but since the sensor only transmits at 18 second intervals I saw no need to go more often.

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 06:43:21 PM »
Another important advantage of the Meteobridge is that it eliminates the need to have the bridge tethered to an internet router via Ethernet cable.  For me, this was critical in finding a location in the house where the signal between the 5in1 sensor and bridge would remain strong and consistent enough to maintain uninterrupted communication.  That spot happens to be in my sunroom, more than 30' from the internet router and with no good way to run a wire to it.

Offline bvstation

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 08:42:04 PM »
I've started using this - I have it set to 5 second intervals for Wunderground, does it matter if you set retry forever or should that be set to something else?

Also how about a discount for the license to members here? I will likely make the purchase but hey its worth a try. :)

anything