Author Topic: Is this a bug or a feature?  (Read 3073 times)

Offline Hugh Whalen

Is this a bug or a feature?
« on: August 23, 2008, 12:33:22 PM »
My website updates every minute. Everything updates correctly except for:

Solar Radiation High and UV Index High

The Solar Radiation watt/m2 and percentage and the UV reading update correctly but the High Value and Time do not. The reading is correct when I first open the page OR if I reload the page the reading changes but it does NOT change if I do not reload the page.

So, is it supposed to work like this? Or is this a bug? or do I have a setting wrong?

My website is www.flowers-cove.ca I went to another site laity.com near here and the same problem occurs at that website.

Any advice appreciated.

Hugh

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Re: Is this a bug or a feature?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 01:32:17 PM »
The Davis VP2+ updates Solar and UV sensor readings every 50 to 60 seconds, so I'd not expect it to change more often than that.  When you first open the page, you'll see the data uploaded up to 5 minutes ago in your testtags.php, then the AJAX cuts in, and shows the data from the latest clientraw.txt.  The max solar and max UV values and their respective times aren't in clientraw.txt, so they only come from the 5-minute uploads of testtags.php.

So I guess it's a 'feature' .. we can only show what WD produces in the two files (testtags.php for %wdtags% and clientraw.txt which has only a limited number of variables for more frequent updates).  To minimize the descrepancy, it's recommended that you upload the testtags.php on a 5 minute interval (or more often if you want, but it increases your WD FTP traffic).

Hope this helps explain what you're seeing...

Best regards,
Ken

p.s. I've added your site to the list of template sites .. thanks for letting me know!   :grin:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 01:36:54 PM by saratogaWX »
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Hugh Whalen

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 01:54:55 PM »
Thanks for the reply but I don't think this is the problem as ...

It never updates - meaning in actuality that the page can be open for hours and the rest of the page will update every minute but the Highs will NEVER update unless you reload the page. When you do that that it updates with data that is never more than five minutes old. Given this I believe that the proper data uploads every five minutes. However, if you can tell me the setting to upload testtags in WeatherDisplay I will try to adjust that.

Again, thanks for the prompt reply.

Hugh

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 02:03:30 PM »
Hi Hugh,

It looks like your testtags.php is being uploaded correctly.  The browser display of the highs and lows (except for today's temperature which is AJAX enabled) won't update until the page is reloaded in the browser.  If you'd like to do that, then add in your index.php
Code: [Select]
<meta http-equiv="Refresh" content="300" /> just before the </head> tag, and the browser will reload the page for you at 5 minute intervals (300 seconds).   I use that technique on my main weather page so that the static highs/lows are never more than 5 minutes out of date.

Hope this helps...
Best regards,
Ken
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Hugh Whalen

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 02:11:49 PM »
I'm sure that fix will  work. I will update my page later today but will not be able to test this until tomorrow morning as the UV and Solar highs for the day are already past.

I will post tomorrow morning the results of this fix.

Thanks again.

Hugh

Offline Hugh Whalen

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 05:54:35 AM »
This is now working.
 \:D/
Thank you very much.

Hugh

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 08:53:35 PM »
You're very welcome, Hugh!

Best regards,
Ken