Author Topic: Nominations for Featured WX Website Summer, 2008 now open  (Read 6270 times)

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Nominations for Featured WX Website Summer, 2008 now open
« on: November 22, 2008, 08:11:11 PM »
It's time to start the search for the WXForum.net Featured Weather Website for Summer, 2008, so please post your nominations (with a short description about your nominee) in this thread.

Gary's guidance
Please list your nominations in this thread - it certainly can't hurt for you to describe why you think your nomination is deserving of this honor.

Don't forget that it is perfectly OK to nominate someone who has been nominated in the past but was not selected! We've had some very deserving nominees, and close runoffs!

Some criteria to consider when making nominations:

The visual attractiveness of the site
Ease of navigation
Quality and quantity of useful or interesting information
Educational value
Distinctiveness

While not a hard and fast rule, sites that only use the unmodified default web page template that comes with the software, while absolutely useful and functional, may not cross into that next level to warrant featuring in this manner. Please try to address these areas while nominating a site.

We'll run the nominations through Wednesday, Dec 3, 2008, then start a new thread for polling on Thursday, Dec 4, 2008. The polling will run through Wednesday, Dec 11, 2008.

Just for reference, here were the previous honorees:
Spring, 2008 - Featured Weather website is RoanokeValleyWeather.com
Winter, 2007 - Featured Weather website is DeltaWeatherCam.com
Fall, 2007 - Featured Weather Website is tobaccovilleweather.com
Summer, 2007 - Featured Weather Website is neondesert.com
Spring, 2007 - Featured Weather Website is desertweather.com
Winter, 2006 - Featured Weather Website carterlake.org
Fall, 2006 - Featured website Saratoga-weather.org
May, 2006 - featured website beamsvillewx.ca
April, 2006 - featured website capeweather.com
January, 2006 - featured website weather.anolecomputer.com
December, 2005 - Featured website tawasbayweather.com
November, 2005 - Featured website oldlineweather.com
October, 2005 - Featured website weatherbus.com
September, 2005 - featured website - Loganvillageweather.com
August, 2005 - Featured website Lighthouseweather.com

Details on each of the above sites are available on the Featured Weather Website forum.

Let the nominations begin!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 03:19:17 PM by saratogaWX »
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
Re: Nominations for Featured WX Website Summer, 2008 now open
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 10:19:50 PM »
Sorry, Eric, but I'm beating you to it this time...

I'd like to nominate the (cue the echo)
Esperanza Weather Center (http://www.espwxctr.com/).

1. The visual attractiveness of the site:  The site is pleasing on the eyes, with calming colors and a well-organized layout.   =D>
2. Ease of navigation:  For the vast majority of us who browse with javascript enabled, Jim uses a well-organized, succinct menu bar that is accessible from all pages.
3. Quality and quantity of useful or interesting information:  I'm hard-pressed to find anything that this site doesn't have.  Well, other than the NOAA weather radio feed from Heathsville.  ;)
4. Educational value:  I found "Credits" listed under the "Info" menu, but it's not coursework credits that Jim is giving out.  Jim sings his praises for Jesus Christ here, as well as in the footer for each of his pages.  We could all learn from that.  [-o< O:)
5. Distinctiveness:  The rotating message bar below his menu is a great way of putting a personal touch on his site and making it relevant for the community.  I see it's time to vote for the first 1+" snowfall of the year... I vote "yes".  #-o

Offline anchorageweather

• Forecaster
    • http://eetee.us/station/station.php
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 05:44:04 PM »
One of our member's sites that I have watched really develop recently is:

www.thorntonweather.com

Tony's most recent revamp has put thorntonweather.com "over the top", and now its one of the best amateur weather sites online.  thorntonweather.com has it all, including a unique "Latest Weather News" section, a blog, a mobile page, and even NWS Alerts via email (my personal favorite - I would really like some help doing this for my site as well).

I would like to nominate Tony's www.thorntonweather.com.  Its TOP NOTCH!!

« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 05:48:10 PM by anchorageweather »
South of the Tracks, Anchorage, KY

jwyman

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 07:38:36 PM »
Kevin,
  Thanks for nominating the site!    :eek:   And thank you for the kind words.....

Jim
Sorry, Eric, but I'm beating you to it this time...

I'd like to nominate the (cue the echo)
Esperanza Weather Center (http://www.espwxctr.com/).

1. The visual attractiveness of the site:  The site is pleasing on the eyes, with calming colors and a well-organized layout.   =D>
2. Ease of navigation:  For the vast majority of us who browse with javascript enabled, Jim uses a well-organized, succinct menu bar that is accessible from all pages.
3. Quality and quantity of useful or interesting information:  I'm hard-pressed to find anything that this site doesn't have.  Well, other than the NOAA weather radio feed from Heathsville.  ;)
4. Educational value:  I found "Credits" listed under the "Info" menu, but it's not coursework credits that Jim is giving out.  Jim sings his praises for Jesus Christ here, as well as in the footer for each of his pages.  We could all learn from that.  [-o< O:)
5. Distinctiveness:  The rotating message bar below his menu is a great way of putting a personal touch on his site and making it relevant for the community.  I see it's time to vote for the first 1+" snowfall of the year... I vote "yes".  #-o

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 08:13:12 PM »
So far, we have two nominees for the Summer 2008 WXForum.net Featured Weather Website

Esperanza Weather Center ( http://www.espwxctr.com/ )
Thornton, CO Weather  ( http://www.thorntonweather.com/ )

Nominations close in 2 days on Wednesday, 3-Dec-2008 at about 11:00 pm (Pacific).

Best regards,
Ken
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 02:57:45 PM »
Well since I not have archive weather data dating back to Jan 2003 that is actually readable now. I will niminate my site:

Anthony's Weather

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 10:18:53 AM »
Jim has respectfully declined the kind offer to have Esperanza Weather in the nominations.

I'm adding the runner-ups from our last two votes to the poll for this time:

Prudenville, Michigan, USA - http://www.michiganwxsystem.com/  (Spring, 2008 poll)
Glendora, California  http://www.glendoraweather.com/ (Winter, 2007 poll)

Best regards,
Ken
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 10:24:53 AM by saratogaWX »