Author Topic: Ambient Weather WS-1000 WiFi beta review  (Read 34091 times)

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
Re: Ambient Weather WS-1000 WiFi beta review
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2013, 08:19:24 PM »
The WS-1000 was being priced at $250. The Vue is about $300 not counting the $130 IP data logger that would be needed to upload data without a computer.

Offline smorris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2013, 09:38:07 AM »
The WS-1000 was being priced at $250. The Vue is about $300 not counting the $130 IP data logger that would be needed to upload data without a computer.

The WS-1000-wifi was listed on the Ambient page at $299 when I first got the notification I was going to be testing it. Archer Trading Post has the Vantage Vue at $263. If I were shopping the WS-1000, (which can't connect to my computer for any useful purpose other than send data to WU) then I probably wouldn't be considering the data logger. My guess is the vast majority of Vue stations that Davis sells are not connected to a computer.

Sure, there are other differences. The Vue doesn't have solar and UV, but based on my comparison, the solar and UV on the WS-1000 were not very accurate, even after putting in an offset.

In that price range, I'd still stick by my recommendation of the Vue over the WS-1000.

So, no one has received any feedback from Ed or Ambient after submitting their review?

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus w/FARS, Leaf & Soil Station

CWOP • WU • AWEKAS • CoCoRaHS • Skywarn • MWWN • UK Met • PWS • WeatherBug • TwitterFacebook

Offline JohnN

• Forecaster
    • Monmouth County Weather
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2013, 10:43:57 AM »
That was one thing I forgot to mention in my review, that it should have a connection to the computer, if only even to download the data and install software updates. No, I haven't heard anything from Ed.
www.monmouthcountyweather.comUK Met Office: 45560463
Twitter: @John_N_WxCoCoRaHS: NJ-MN-64
CWOP: E1682Davis Vantage Vue, Pro2Plus w/24 hr FARS, Ambient Weather WS-1000
PWS/WFY: SOUTHARDNJCumulusMX
Wunderground: KNJHOWEL11
                       KNJHOWEL15
LiveATC: KWRI/KNEL/New York Center
             KMJX/KBLM/3N6/N12

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2013, 06:49:25 PM »
It has an SD card slot to download data to and for software updates. But I agree a direct connection to a computer would be nice.

I wonder when Davis is going to start moving into the 21 century and update their outdated consoles?

Offline JohnN

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2013, 06:51:08 PM »
I must have missed the part about the SD card slot. Is there one already built in, or is it optional?
                       KNJHOWEL15
             KMJX/KBLM/3N6/N12

Offline smorris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2013, 09:41:09 AM »
There's a micro SD slot in the side of the console beneath the power cord.
Steve - Avon, Ohio
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus w/FARS, Leaf & Soil Station

CWOP • WU • AWEKAS • CoCoRaHS • Skywarn • MWWN • UK Met • PWS • WeatherBug • TwitterFacebook

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2013, 09:20:16 AM »
Finally had a chance to tear into the console. Pretty simple inside with a Samsung ARM9 processor running at 200MHz and 32M of Samsung RAM. With all the Samsung chips in there I would guess the board was also manufactured by them. Pic attached.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 09:21:50 AM by hankster »

Offline CapeHazeWX

• Cape Haze, Florida
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2014, 06:32:33 PM »
Any updates on this unit?  I would like the ability to get my weather station data online, but the cost of the add-on's to get my Davis Vantage Vue up online is near the cost of this unit.  I can't believe Davis doesn't have a WIFI console to display and transmit data from the sensor suite.

Offline JohnN

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2014, 06:40:32 PM »
As is, I would not recommend this unit. It is way too limited in what you can do with  the data. It only let's you upload to Wunderground, an no other sites.Unless that changes when this is released,  I would get something else.
                       KNJHOWEL15
             KMJX/KBLM/3N6/N12

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2014, 08:45:01 PM »
It appears the beta test program has ended and a final release of this hardware is now available for sale.

http://www.ambientweather.com/amws1000wifi.html

I don't detect any major changes in the features, it still uploads to WeatherUnderground with no local data acquisition other than to the console display.

I will be evaluating one of the new stations pretty soon!

CWOP:DW5051
MADIS ID:D5051
WU:KMAEASTH4
CoCoRaHS:MA-BA-23
DavisVantagePro2Plus#6163
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline JohnN

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2014, 08:51:26 PM »
Has anyone figured out if you could change the setup and have it upload data to your own website? I want to keep uploading data, but I don't want it being the default over my Vue on Wunderground.
                       KNJHOWEL15
             KMJX/KBLM/3N6/N12

Offline jastrzab

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2014, 03:11:21 AM »
Has anyone figured out if you could change the setup and have it upload data to your own website? I want to keep uploading data, but I don't want it being the default over my Vue on Wunderground.
Hi,

I'm new here, waiting for WS1000 WiFi beeing avilable in europe, as it seems to meet my needs 99%.

I see few possibilities. In the manual I saw option to change address of server where data is sent. Just change it to your machine.
Here is have description how data to wunderground is sent:
http://wiki.wunderground.com/index.php/PWS_-_Upload_Protocol
It's simple PHP script. So probably you must run web server, create such simple script which will do whatever you need, store is as text file, store it in mysql DB, store it plus re-send to wunderground. Store it every minute, but resend to wunderground every ... 10min. Whatever needed. With very little IT knowledge can be done.

If inside WS1000 it's not possible to change server address, with some advance routers probably it is possible to redirect traffic from WS-1000->wunderground to your machine.

But as I said in the begining. I did not test it, can't buy WS1000 in europe (yet?) :-(

marcin

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2014, 10:29:11 PM »
Today I've been looking at the WS-1000 and reading what y'all have to say about accuracy problems. I do think Ed should offer some additional beta testing on revised unit. It's better to have subjects to test the unit and not have to pay for something that might not work correctly and then pass on the information rather than be selling something that may not be much better and having some angry customers wanting their money back.

So from what I'm hearing is the wind speed is a bit sluggish which it appears the station reads down to 0.1 mph according to the web site which if the anemometer it's self can't read anything below 2mph as stated defeats the purpose of reading down to 0.1 mph. The site also states the unit has a wind direction resolution of 1 degree. Can anyone comment on this?

Also, does this station actually have solar and UV sensors or does the station assume this information from the solar panel on the front? According to some of the images and the drawing on the web site looks like they're separate sensors on the corners of the rain gauge.

Also the site says the kit includes a 2nd temperature and humidity sensor. How well does that work?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 08:41:26 PM by Skywatch »
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline GaryStofer

• Mt Shasta on clouds
    • DIY WunderWeatherStation
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2014, 10:56:21 PM »
Did anyone get a reply or any feedback whatsoever after sending in their review? Like many of you, I put a lot of time and detail into the review, and was somewhat disappointed not to hear anything at all back from Ed.

My review was not glowing, and I summarized that for less money than the WS-100-wifi I would recommend the Davis Vantage Vue instead, but I'm assuming they wanted an honest evaluation.

Steve

Maybe I should have asked the people on this thread to review my DIY WunderWeatherStation then. You certainly would have gotten lots of feedback from me. However, sadly,  I can't compete with a $249 Chinese price tag for a setup that seems to have it all. See  http://wws.us.to
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 11:00:35 PM by GaryStofer »

Offline JohnN

• Forecaster
Re:
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2014, 11:08:30 PM »
I haven't noticed any real accuracy problems. Wind speed precision is a lie. It has a 0.1 mph resolution, but that is only because of the conversion process. I am almost certain that the anemometer measures in km/hr and then converts to mph. If you look at wind speeds, you'll notice it is always one of a few specific numbers. I don't remember for certain, but I believe the wind resolution is 16 degrees. I'll check that later. The WS-1000 does have a solar and UV sensor. The "second temp and humidity sensor" is another half truth.  That is the indoor temperature, humidity and BP sensor, which is separate from the console. So there are 2 temp and humidity sensors: outdoor (built into ISS) and indoor (separate from console). I would recommend this station if it were a bit cheaper and not limited to Wunderground.
                       KNJHOWEL15
             KMJX/KBLM/3N6/N12

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2014, 07:39:19 AM »
Today I've been looking at the WS-1000 and reading what y'all have to say about accuracy problems. I do think Ed should offer some additional beta testing on revised unit. It's better to have subjects to test the unit and not have to pay for something that might not work correctly and then pass on the information rather than be selling something that may not be much better and having some angry customers wanting their money back.

So from what I'm hearing is the wind speed is a bit sluggish which it appears the station reads down to 0.1 mph according to the web site which if the anemometer it's self can't read anything below 2mph as stated defeats the purpose of reading down to 0.1 mph. The site also states the unit has a wind direction resolution of 1 degree. Can anyone comment on this?

Also, does this station actually have solar and UV sensors or does the station assume this information from the solar panel on the front? According to some of the images and the drawing on the web site looks like they're separate sensors on the corners of the rain gauge.

From what I'm hearing the WS-1000 just sounds like another piece of junk at least compared to the Davis Vue in that price range.

Also the site says the kit includes a 2nd temperature and humidity sensor. How well does that work?
I think everyone who considers the WS-1000 needs to keep things in perspective. I do not believe that it is designed to target the "hard core" weather enthusiast market. In summary it is a low cost unit that allows your causal weather hobbyist with no webmaster skills to gather weather data from their back yard and view it anywhere in the world. I can think of many people who would like to just mount something in the back yard, enter router data and be done with it. My mother for example, or someone with a vacation home.

As far as accuracy goes, my beta unit has been up and running for a year now with the only issue being a spider web on the rain bucket. It is mounted about 15' lower than my VP2 and while the readings are not the same, they are within what might be expected in that distance. In all honesty, my VP2 has been up and running for 3 years now and probably could use calibrating. Why in the world would a causal user care for wind speed to 0.1? Or if the direction is off a degree. I am willing to bet the vast majority of home stations are not mounted with in 1 degree accuracy.

If the WS-1000 was my first station instead of the LaCrosse POS I had, it would have saved me about a year of aggravation. Maybe Davis is the best but it also comes with the price tag. Two Ws-1000 could almost be purchased for the same price as getting a Davis on line. The WS-1000 can be up & running and posting to the internet with out any extra equipment or cost in under an hour. In short, I do not feel that it is fair to compare the WS-1000 to a Vue. It may be like comparing a "Cadillac" to a "Focus". There is a huge price difference, but they both will get you there just the same.

Offline ambientweather

• Contributor
    • Ambient Weather
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2014, 06:29:26 PM »

From what I'm hearing the WS-1000 just sounds like another piece of junk at least compared to the Davis Vue in that price range.

Skywatch,

I usually do not get involved in public postings. I learned a long time ago that it is unwise. However, I think it is irresponsible for you to call this station another piece of junk based on the comments made during a beta testing. I am assuming you have never owned or tested one, and based on comments from a beta test (and I emphasize, this was a beta test), you came to some of your own conclusions.

I would not say there have been overwhelming complaints about the accuracy, and we have yet to have a single unit returned, contrary to your comments. I feel we did due diligence, and implemented many of the comments in the documentation as well as future releases of this product. There was a second beta test, you were just not made aware of it.

Some notes to set the record straight.

1. Davis clearly makes a better weather station. They are also more expensive. If you want to report to Wunderground.com independent of a computer (with a web appliance like the WeatherBridge) that supports rapid fire, it is significantly more expensive. Also, publishing to Wunderground.com using WiFi with the WeatherBridge requires a weather station, data logger, 2.0 Hub converter and finally the WeatherBridge itself. All of these devices require some configuration. The WS-1000 handles all of this within the display console.

2. The windspeed is actually an average of the wind in the 16 second update period. The gust is the peak windspeed updated in the 16 second update period. This is a common practice for weather station manufacturers... provide both an average and peak windspeed within the update period.  I believe this is a much better approach than taking a snapshot of the windspeed every 16 seconds.

If the station reports 0.1 mph, that is an average over the entire sample period, rather than the anemometer spinning at a rate of 0.1 mph when the update occurs.

3. The UV sensor was not ready for production. We decided to remove this feature. We may add the sensor back in at a later date.

4. The wind direction resolution is 1 degree.

5. The weather station does have a solar radiation sensor independent of the solar panel.

6. There is a second wireless sensor that can be placed indoors or outdoors. I would say this not a "half truth",  but an actual fact that the WS-1000-WiFI has two wireless transmitters. The reason for this is the console can heat up and cause a false reading.  We would recommend placing it indoors, because the barometer is temperature sensitive and the barometer's temperature correction is more accurate when placed inside, plus you get more life out of the sensor.

7. There are plans to add WeatherBug and CWOP. If there is one thing I have learned, it is best to start simple, and add additional features later.

Regards,

Ed
Ambient Weather
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 06:57:36 PM by ambientweather »

Offline JohnN

• Forecaster
Re:
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2014, 08:04:39 PM »
I just want to say that when I recommended the Vantage Vue, I was thinking it was about ~$300 with the Weatherlink  logger. If the WS-1000 is half the price, then I would consider it a worthy competitor. I just wish there was an easy way to download data to a computer, besides the SD card.
                       KNJHOWEL15
             KMJX/KBLM/3N6/N12

Offline ambientweather

• Contributor
    • Ambient Weather
Re:
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2014, 11:10:30 PM »
I just want to say that when I recommended the Vantage Vue, I was thinking it was about ~$300 with the Weatherlink  logger. If the WS-1000 is half the price, then I would consider it a worthy competitor. I just wish there was an easy way to download data to a computer, besides the SD card.

Hi John,
This is a good point, and we are adding software connectivity over the LAN, but we wanted to walk before we run.

In no way would I compare this station to a VantageVue. The VantageVue is a significantly more accurate and capable weather station (1000 ft wireless range with  spread spectrum and frequency hopping).

What we are trying to achieve is a lower cost unit that connects directly to the Internet with little configuration. I would be more comfortable comparing it to an Oregon Scientific WMR300 or Acu-Rite AcuLink.

There is an excellent mid-range market for users that perhaps are not as dedicated to the hobby as those that publish on CWOP.

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2014, 11:35:13 PM »
I have the new release version up and running since 1-23-14. It was effortless to get it operational. The new display console immediately picked up the existing beta station transmitters right when I powered it up.

I only had to tweak the outdoor humidity and barometer calibrations a bit in order to go live.

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KMAEASTH9

I like the new display graph grid, also it now shows your wi-fi  and internet connection status.

A lot of bang for the buck.

I'm liking it, Ed.

CWOP:DW5051
MADIS ID:D5051
WU:KMAEASTH4
CoCoRaHS:MA-BA-23
DavisVantagePro2Plus#6163
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline ambientweather

• Contributor
    • Ambient Weather
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2014, 10:12:37 AM »
I have the new release version up and running since 1-23-14. It was effortless to get it operational. The new display console immediately picked up the existing beta station transmitters right when I powered it up.

I only had to tweak the outdoor humidity and barometer calibrations a bit in order to go live.

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KMAEASTH9

I like the new display graph grid, also it now shows your wi-fi  and internet connection status.

A lot of bang for the buck.

I'm liking it, Ed.

That is good to hear, that it was so simple. Ultimately, that is what we are trying to achieve. Get it up and running on Wunderground as easily as possible.

Offline ambientweather

• Contributor
    • Ambient Weather
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2014, 02:03:54 PM »
I thought this video review was very impressive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DA1uzROM9w

The comments and recommendations at the end will be studied in detail.

Regards,

Ed

Offline JohnN

• Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2014, 07:55:38 PM »
7. There are plans to add WeatherBug and CWOP. If there is one thing I have learned, it is best to start simple, and add additional features later.
When the software that allows uploading to CWOP and WeatherBug is released, will we be able to upgrade the software on the beta consoles, to give us this capability?
                       KNJHOWEL15
             KMJX/KBLM/3N6/N12

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2014, 08:46:37 PM »
I thought this video review was very impressive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DA1uzROM9w

The comments and recommendations at the end will be studied in detail.

Regards,

Ed
Great walk-though for his first video.  =D>
As for his recommendation, another option instead of a USB connection to computers, is have the data still transmitted through wifi and to have a computer on the network be able to receive it. This way the console can be placed in the living room or kitchen and the weather computer somewhere else.

Offline CapeHazeWX

• Cape Haze, Florida
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2014, 08:50:45 PM »
Well, I think I'm going to get one when they become available again.  It'll supplement my Vue and get me on WU cheaper and easier than adding all the gadgets to the Vue.  Not a real computer geek, but have a desire to get my WX info up online, and I'm in an underserved rural area.

I already have a WU station ID (Having anticipated getting the Vue online).  Is that all I'll need?  Or do you have to create a new ID from the WS-1000?