Author Topic: Did wunderground forget to pay their web hosting bill?  (Read 22394 times)

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
  • My weather is on WeatherForYou.com. Is yours?
    • http://www.weatherforyou.com
Re: Did wunderground forget to pay their web hosting bill?
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2008, 01:02:10 PM »
They too have single points of failure. It's just the nature of the beast (internet access).
Only two, and that's because the domain name can only be registered at one place.  ;)  Otherwise, both the weatherforyou.com and HAMweather systems were designed with redundancy on all levels possible.  You don't have to have all your servers at the same data center, on the same network or even with the same company which significantly minimizes the chance of complete site failure.  ;)
Joe Torsitano

jwyman

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2008, 04:56:31 PM »
Sorry I said anything..... :-( I forgot what I was dealing with.....

V/R,

Jim

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2008, 09:08:08 PM »
No need to be sorry you didn't say anything wrong. Just trying to save people from extra work when their are other alternatives that are free that will save you time down the road. That is the good thing about HAMWeather is if a data feed goes down your whole site doesn't go down. I.E. on the maps it will just display "No data at this time" and the page and map still shows where if you were using maps or something from another site the whole map and page will go down leaving you with dead images or links. It is time saving from having to do more work down the road having to remove the image or what not and then trying to find something to replace it with. Then having to rework your entire site or page around that one item. I am surprised more people are not using HAMWeather because it is fully customizable and the sky is the limit and you can display your PWS info on it. Their is a plugin that you can use where VWS can send tags straight to your HW currents page where you don't even have to go through the HW servers. It's a little more work then having VWS send it, but atleast you have that option.

jwyman

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2008, 09:40:12 PM »
If your data feed goes down, then your radar/sat is down.. Same thing. True, my site is not geared just around a WU screen... If it goes down, I have other things to go with. Yes, Hamweather is nice, but for $75 just to remove a logo, and a subscription fee for the radar and satellite feeds, some people are going to go with free stuff, especially when sites like WU offer it up.....

Let it be so....
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 09:41:53 PM by jwyman »

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2008, 10:11:27 PM »
That is not necessarily true with HW. You will still be left with the map and the image and page because it is hosted on your server, just no data if the data goes down. You Hotlink WU maps or images and it goes down you have a dead image in its place. A lot of web sites frown against hotlinking because it takes up bandwidth in which that site has to pay for if it goes over their alloted amount allowed. That is why from time to time web sites change the URL to images or even turn hotlinking protection on then you are screwed and left with nothing and have to rework your site and look for other alternatives. I mean if you had custom maps and images you wouldn't like hundreds of people hotlinking those images on their sites taking up your bandwidth for free. HW is free, and you don't have to pay anything to customize it to your site. Yes they have paid services if you like to have them. HW comes with a free radar and satellite as part of the package. They have much nicer maps and radars for a small fee which is only fair for the amount of time they have put into it to make them. They wouldn't like people to hotlink them to their site for free when others are paying for them. Only thing HW ask is that you leave a credit link back in the footer to use their free software that you can adapt to your site layout and use the free plugins. I think that is pretty fair.

For example here is one of the Free Plugins that HW has. You will notice my weather page flows with my entire site no matter where you visit so it looks completely custom and all for free. The maps have my title and my watermarking on them and looks like they are completely mine, all for free mind you I didn't have to pay for any data or any subscription for the data or to put my watermark of name on it. If the data goes down that page or map won't go away like if you hotlinked from another site, it will show on the map "No data at this time". IMO it is just a lot nicer and easier and more professional looking.

http://www.mesquitechristmas.com/weather/hw3.php?config=&forecast=spcstormreportmap&date=last3hours&usemap=

HW has tons of free plugins like this on top of their paid services which are well worth it for a small fee. So if you want free software to display weather HAMWeather is a very good alternative to hotlinking and paying money on other programs to display your weather and a lot more nicer and professional looking if you are just willing to invest some time and make things a lot easier in the long run. When HW4 comes out it will be amazing.

jwyman

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2008, 10:27:06 PM »
Never had a problem with WU until they screwed up the DNS yesterday.....  #-o

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2008, 10:48:17 PM »
Never had a problem with WU until they screwed up the DNS yesterday.....  #-o

After the tumult that both parties went through over that issue it will probably be a long time before that particular cause of loss of service happens again.  I'm sure more than one person caught a rocket up the lower vent over that one.   ;)
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2008, 11:11:13 PM »
That might be true, but just trying to offer other alternatives that are a lot nicer and easier in the long run and more custom looking that is free so you won't have to go through headaches with parts of your site missing if another site goes down. I know AccuWeather had this problem in the past with Hotlinking maps and images from their site and they blocked everyone from doing that. We all spend lots of hours and time working hard on our sites and spend a great deal of money. You want your site to stand out from the rest and give people a reason to want to come to your site, and if you are showing information from another site on yours then why would people need to go to your site when they can get all that from the site in which your displaying their data and maps. See what I am saying? Just something to think about...

jwyman

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2008, 08:37:13 AM »
People go to a site because they want weather information about THEIR area.... They might go to a distant site once in awhile to see what's happening.. Again, I bring in multiple sources of information due to its quality and content. Comapny X may have a great regional radar view but Company Y has a great tropical display...
I agree, if your site is not cluttered, and presents weather information cleanly, accuratly, and timely, then people will keep coming back.
      People in my region keep coming back for this very reason and that there is no one else providing detailed local coverage such as I. I'm happy 'cause my visitors are happy!   \:D/  \:D/  \:D/

May everyone havy a great Friday! It's the weekend  =D> =D> =D> =D>

Jim

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2008, 12:51:57 PM »
You have a nicely laid out site, easy to navigate, easy on the eyes and not cluttered. The one thing I see with your site is you use a lot of other resources from other peoples sites. I am not knocking you or your site at all just trying to give you and others some information that could help you down the road. I don't see anything that stands out from the rest. What I see has a visitor is a collage of maps collected from other sites. Yes it might be convienant to have them all on one site for your area, but the majority of the maps are for the nation. You have maps from Intellicast, WU, USGS and others which make up the bulk of your information. What I am trying to say is if those started to go down you would lose pages of information and the bulk or your site that you would have to work around. If people see something familiar that is from someone else's site they will be likely to navigate to them. I would be interested to see your bounce rate compared to WU from your site. You can have all this information and more with HW custom and for free where all the data looks like it is from you site and not someone else and it will all flow. That is the good thing about HW is it's ability to do all that. And if data goes down you don't lose your maps or page like you would hotlinking from someone else. I noticed this on your site. You have hotlinked someone else's HW map on your site when you could be hosting it for free and have all the information to go with it. If that site decided to close up shop you would be left with finding another resource or deleting that page when you don't have to, not to mention have your name on the map instead of someone else's. Here is the map I am talking about that is on your page.

Now here is the same plugin in which your are hotlinking from someone else that is hosted on my server and is all mine and custom to my site for free. Which would you rather have?

http://www.mesquitechristmas.com/weather/hw3.php?config=&forecast=spcstormreportmap&date=last3hours&usemap=

I am just trying to let you and everyone else know their are better options out there which will make your site better so you don't have to relay on other peoples resources. I am in marketing and web publishing for my company and it's my job to make sure we stand out from the rest and that the site gets sales. Not the one above, that's personal site. I see you are using HW already for somethings. If you need help finding a plugin let me know I have tons which I have installed already just have to get around to link them to the nav menu.

jwyman

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2008, 01:51:07 PM »
"You have hotlinked someone else's HW map on your site when you could be hosting it for free "   #-o

The HW warnings maps are NOT free if I read the HW site correctly. You get text-only within the basic HW3 package. I have spent the last 4 days installing, configuring, debugging HW on my site...... They too, do not give everything for free.

"And if data goes down you don't lose your maps or page like you would hotlinking from someone else. I noticed this on your site"    #-o

If the main radar feed goes down,  just about every Tom, Dick , and Harry is out of luck.....So HW suffers just like everyone else. In the entire life of this site, I have never experienced a situation like
WU had until a few days ago. And the problem was rectified within 24 hrs..... Pretty good record I'd say.

AS you are in TN, I don't expect you to visit nor like my site. I'm sorry that you feel the need to nit-pick at my site. I already have the customer base who really like having all of this area-specific information in one place, something that neither the TV stations nor papers provide.

"I am in marketing and web publishing for my company and it's my job to make sure we stand out from the rest and that the site gets sales."

Great! that's your job... And your company I assume has MUCH more funds (than the average joe) at their disposal to do that.

BTW, are you on the HW payroll?    :grin:

And please, short, consise answers would greatly be appreciated, not a term paper......

Jim
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 02:13:40 PM by jwyman »

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2008, 02:45:03 PM »
"You have hotlinked someone else's HW map on your site when you could be hosting it for free "   #-o

The HW warnings maps are NOT free if I read the HW site correctly. You get text-only within the basic HW3 package. I have spent the last 4 days installing, configuring, debugging HW on my site...... They too, do not give everything for free.

No one ever said anything about the HW Warnings service. Yes that is a paid service but you have the option to not use it. BUT HAMWeather software to install and use and all the plugins are FREE. What I am referring to is in my prior post I posted a map that is on YOUR site. That map is from a HW plugin that is offered for FREE in which you are hotlinking from someone else's site. You are stealing their bandwidth and if they block you or close up shop you will lose that image and that page when you could be hosting it for FREE on your site and customized to YOUR page.

I have that same plugin on my site for FREE and it is custom to my site plus all the rest that goes with it with the text reports and the Last 3 hrs map, Todays, and Yesterdays report all for FREE. You just have the map because you have hotlinked it from someone else. Look at the link below...

See the difference in yours and in mine? That was all FREE, what looks better and offers more information? Not to mention if that site goes down I won't lose that image or map because it is hosted on my server.

"And if data goes down you don't lose your maps or page like you would hotlinking from someone else. I noticed this on your site"    #-o

If the main radar feed goes down,  just about every Tom, Dick , and Harry is out of luck.....So HW suffers just like everyone else. In the entire life of this site, I have never experienced a situation like WU had until a few days ago. And the problem was rectified with 24 hrs..... Pretty good record I'd say.

Not exactly, because what you are not understanding is since you are hotlinking those radar and map images if they go down you lose that image and are left with a dead image meaning nothing will show. If you are hosting them on your server through HW you are hosting those maps and images. So if the DATA goes down using HW you just lose that, the data. The map is still left in place and no dead image is there like if you hotlinked it because they are on YOUR server. Not to mention you can put your own branding and logo on the image and map once again for FREE. Why promote someone else's site and drive traffic to them when you can have the same thing customized to your site for FREE and have it look more professional and not have to worry about if someone else's site goes down if you will lose your maps or images.

AS you are in TN, I don't expect you to visit nor like my site. I'm sorry that you feel the need to nit-pick at my site. I already have the customer base who really like having all of this area-specific information in one place, something that neither the TV stations nor papers do not  provide.

I am not in TN, I am in Texas.... I said in my last post nothing but good things about your site and tried to give you some helpful alternatives to make your site better so you wouldn't have to rely on other sites resources so you don't lose hard work when things go down or someone blocks those images from being hotlinked and make it look more custom and professional all for FREE. I am not nit-picking at you, you are just the one that replied so I am explaining to you the other FREE alternatives other then relying on other peoples resources and hotlinking. You only have a few things that are area specific, most of it can be found at other sites as well as the other info that you are using from them on your site.

"I am in marketing and web publishing for my company and it's my job to make sure we stand out from the rest and that the site gets sales."

Great! that's your job... And your company I assume has MUCH more funds (than the average joe) at their disposal to do that.

Doesn't take money to think, you can do that for free, and I was trying to offer you some FREE advice. Everyones goal is to get visitors and provide the most helpful and unique experience. I am sure you don't put countless hours into your site just for your own personal satisfaction do you? When you put your site together you thought about what you wanted to put on it and what would be the most useful to get visitors. That's called marketing and you did all that on your own for free. So calm down, no one is trying to tell you your site sucks or pick on you.

BTW, are you on the HW payroll?    :grin:

Nope, just someone who is and has been using it for a long time and trying to pass on the helpful info to others that may be interested. I have many other plugins installed I can show you that I am using for FREE that is all custom to my site that HW offers. I have seen how much this company has grown and what all the have developed in just a short period of time. I use some of their paid services which are maps and other things and for the price why not. They are an amazing resource to add to your site to give your site the most customized and professional look out there. Who else is offering this?

I have done all this with HW and customized it to my site and display my PWS and VWS information and has the ability to show other locations all for FREE. Everything on there is done with HW and was done for FREE. Just takes some time to do whatever you want. It is still a work in progress since it has been up for not even a year but it does more then what I wanted it to do for what is needed. So has you can see it is not just text only.

http://www.mesquitechristmas.com/weather/hw3.php

jwyman

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2008, 02:54:34 PM »
Fair Enough...

All I am saying about the radar data is that whether you hotlink images or retrieve live radar data via NOAAPORT or you use HW to re-display NEXRAD images, it the site goes down, map or no map , you have NO data to show......

I am currently trying out the Tropics plugin and radar stuff working.. Now I am trying to see if the warning maps work of fthe FREE package..

BTW, your warnings/advisories area has Dive by zeros errors. I was trying to look at what you have done there.....

Jim

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2008, 03:40:55 PM »
Ok guys.. this discussion is useful, but getting a bit heated, so I'd like you to step back a bit from the posting escalation.

Let me see if I can summarize the points:

1) WU had a major DNS outage due to a registrar error.  As a result, many of the personal weather station non-commercial websites of WU contributing members had issues as radar/maps/forecasts were unavailable due to the DNS problem.
This can happen to any company or website .. a DNS problem will effect anyone trying to use that domain.

2) Yes, WU does expect that PWS websites using their graphics/forecasts/data do contribute their own data to WU, and in exchange are allowed to freely use the WU information (with attribution).

3) HamWeather offers both a free and paid services with weather data from various sources, including PWS sites.  They have a great set of graphics for maps and graphic forecast information, and many PWS websites use it.  The HamWeather system does cache local versions of the maps on the PWS webserver, so if a DNS outage hit them, the PWS site would still display the cached data .. it would only get 'older' until the DNS for them was restored.  I think that's MesquiteXmas' point.

4) not mentioned yet, but there are other ways of generating the maps like GRLevel3 radar via NEXRAD feeds from NOAA or AllisonHouse.  Maps can be generated by Digital Atmosphere from public sources (NOAA, etc).  Radar from NOAA is free (but with a somewhat messy Java applet to display it).

The key thing is .. there's no overall 'right' way to do it .. there are many sources for the data/graphics that are available (as long as the Ts & Cs are respected), and each PWS webmaster is free to decide and present what they find most useful for their purposes.

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

jwyman

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2008, 03:47:51 PM »
Thanks Ken for stepping in and clarifying.....  :grin:

As always,

Jim

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2008, 04:27:44 PM »
BTW, your warnings/advisories area has Dive by zeros errors. I was trying to look at what you have done there.....

That is from the HW Warnings Service Subscription. I haven't renewed it yet due to the lack of visitors and still setting up the site. I had it all up and running during the Spring Storm season and got all that set up. After it passed I let it expire since I don't have the client base yet. Once Christmas gets here the site will get about 20K a month in Visitors during the Holiday Season. I had the site up last year but It didn't go up until Nov of last year and I didn't put the Weather in until I think Feb so no one knew about it. It is a new addition for this year that will also be on automation with the lights to monitor the weather conditions. That is another story but pretty cool feature. All I have to do us resubscribe and it will all be working again. I can't see myself paying for subscriptions when no one is seeing it yet or knows about it, you know what I mean? I am currently getting everything laid out for all the plugins and pages built for the paid services so all I have to do is the navigation for them. It should all be completed and running 100% by Oct. I am just doing it in stages doing the most important sections first that I can display now that is relevant to the season.

In the meantime I am using the free plugin that shows watches for Thunderstorm and Tornado. Not anything near as advance as the paid subscription but still something.

http://www.mesquitechristmas.com/weather/hw3.php?config=&forecast=sevmap&fill=0

Here is the page with all the free plugins for HAMWeather

http://support.hamweather.com/oplugins/dload.php

At the bottom of that list is a link that says "Plug-ins Authored by Jeff Lake" it will take you to his page that has like 4 more pages of Free plugins and demo pages. He has one plugin that is subscription base but it is a one time fee if I remember and it is fairly cheap.

That Tropics plugin is really nice, way better then the first releases. If you had seen the first two releases you would understand just how far they have come with their software. This one has way more information and more interactive. The others didn't come close to this one and it's free to use. HW4 is going to be really nice too.

Ken was right on with what I was saying about the maps. HW caches the Data so if it does go down you will still have the map because it is hosted on your sever with the latest image and at the worst you will still have the map. If you are hotlinking if anything happens to that server that is hosting the image you will lose that image and map and nothing will be there in its place. So all your visitors will see is a small red box with an x. If the URL to that image has changed or been removed all together you would have to find another source or update the URL. IMO it just looks nicer to be able to host your own maps and images with your own branding and logos that match your site and not worry about resources from another site. He's right their is no "right" way to do it, but IMO their are easier ways if you are just willing to take the time and save yourself headaches down the road.

jwyman

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2008, 06:33:35 PM »
We have Blue Crabs in the Cheasapeake Bay.... MMMMMMMMMMM

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2008, 08:25:09 PM »
It's been along time since I looked into HW but for some reason I thought you had to be running a home server to use it.  Now I see that does not appear to be the case.  Also I did not know they had a free version.

Thanks guys for bringing up the subject.  Maybe once the dark winter nights set in again I'll give it a try.   :grin:
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2008, 09:18:02 PM »
We have Blue Crabs in the Cheasapeake Bay.... MMMMMMMMMMM

Glad they are baaaaack.

anything