Author Topic: Considering a WS-2080.  (Read 5281 times)

Offline #41

Considering a WS-2080.
« on: March 18, 2013, 10:06:33 PM »
I just can't justify one of the more expensive weather stations so I rn across the 2080.  Just need to see if it can do what I need.

It has all the sensors I need.  The main thing I want is to link it to weaterunderground, etc.
So, keeping in mind I need to keep the cost down I'm trying to explore the various methods to get the data on my network. 
Option 1 - use an old laptop to connect it USB. 

Option 2 - buy the 2 display version.  Keep one in the living room for local viewing.  Put the other in my PC room and have it connected to my main pc which is on 24/7.

Option 3 - do they make a USB to Ethernet connector that would enable the data to go to my main PC?  This way I would just connect the main display to my router/switch.

Any other inexpensive suggestions?

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: Considering a WS-2080.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 03:56:12 AM »
If I understand your network setup and what you want to do correctly I think I may be able to answer some anyway.

If your network covers both your living room and your PC room then the laptop option in the living room, running 24/7 along with your PC uploading to WU 24/7 should work. With this setup you wouldn't need the second station display console.

The 2 display console option wouldn't require the the laptop setup as long as the display in the PC room has range reception of the outdoor sensors. Maybe a slight AC power savings for the display vs. the laptop running 24/7 also. You would also have a back-up display if one died.

As far as I know, any USB to Ethernet adapters need a host (PC) to run it and wouldn't work with just the display to Ethernet. Kind of like plugging a USB to Ethernet adapter into a printer and attaching that to the Ethernet expecting the printer to be recognized.  There are several different IP servers like Meteohub and WeatherHub that eliminate the need for a PC altogether and will let you connect the display directly to your network.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 04:03:43 AM by DanS »

Offline #41

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 09:19:34 AM »
Thanks Dan.

Ok, so option 3 is out. 

The reason I mentioned option 2 is so i wouldn't have to have a laptop running all the time.  If I did the 2 display version I would just use one display in the living room as a stand alone display.  The other display I would connect to my main pc for weather updating.  This is considering the second display will receive data from the distance of about 60 -70 ft through a few walls.

I know the easiest is option one but it's the least desired option to me.

I did read about the Weatherhub but its a bit pricey for what I want.

Offline Stetson1

• Cordera Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Cordera Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 10:37:13 AM »
You should be able to do the USB over Ethernet to your main PC. Typical extenders only do USB 1.1 which should be fine. I use it for my camera which connects to my 24/7 PC and it should work for the 2080's display. Haven't tried it with my display but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

Todd

Offline #41

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 09:38:58 PM »
But that's different then what i was originally to talking about.  I meant USB out of the display into some kind of USB to Ethernet converter and then to a router which is wired to another router that my main pc is on.

I think you are talking about or of the USB over Ethernet converters.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 12:42:15 AM »
You probably need a USB over IP redirector.  Hard and software versions around.  But Dan's sugestion of Meteobridge/hun is probably much easier.  A full Meteobridge setup could run as little as 75 bucks.  Ambient also sells a full kit with the WS2080 for about $270 if you do not want to do anything  but plug it in.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Stetson1

• Cordera Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Cordera Weather
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 10:47:20 AM »
Sorry, I thought you said:

Option 3 - do they make a USB to Ethernet connector that would enable the data to go to my main PC?  This way I would just connect the main display to my router/switch.

which is what my response was based on.

But that's different then what i was originally to talking about.  I meant USB out of the display into some kind of USB to Ethernet converter and then to a router which is wired to another router that my main pc is on.

Offline #41

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 09:13:47 PM »
Sorry, I thought you said:

which is what my response was based on.

Hmm, I'm confused.  I mentioned that it would go to my PC via a router or switch.  can I do this with the usb to ethernet converter?  I apologize if I wasn't clear.

Offline ReDave

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 05:42:50 PM »
Hello,
I bought the ws 2090  [very similar to the 2080] and i bought a TP Link MR2030 from amazon for 35 bucks.  I flashed the meteobridge firmware on the TP link [which is actually a mini router]   the Meteobridge software ended up being about 64 us dollars after paypal converted the 49 euro.

I now have my 2090 console connected to tiny unpowered hub, as the console is usb 1 and the mini router requires usb 2,  and that connects to the mini router, all of which is in our garage.  the mini router now connects to my main internet router via wifi    no wires

I've had everything set up for about a week, and i'm very happy

I also could not justify 500 bucks for a davis, and this 2090 seems to be more than adequate for our needs.

A member here made a cool android app that i've downloaded, so i can easily see my weather at home while at work.

all for around 200 bucks, :-)
dave

Offline Mryank9

• Hamden Weather
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 04:22:06 PM »
What is the android app?

Offline AA4SH

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 12:10:08 PM »
I would recommend the WS-2090 ($100 vs $109 @Amazon)  it solves some of the reported issues of the WS-2090.  Many of the same features of the 2080 but so much nicer set up was a breeze.

Replaces my old Peet Bros 2100 station, which was wires everywhere...
Amateur Radio & WX Station AA4SH
73 Steve EM65qr

Offline Stetson1

• Cordera Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Cordera Weather
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 02:58:56 PM »
The only issue I have with the 2090 is the sensors cannot be separated. Currently I have my rain gauge and temp sensor about 40 feet away from the anemometer so I can get more accurate readings. I do like the features of the 2090 but having to keep everything together is a deal breaker for me.

T

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 05:47:29 PM »
If the 20nn is anything like the 10nn, they are a WOM.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Stetson1

• Cordera Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Cordera Weather
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 02:46:52 PM »
Now now, I have a 1080 and it has run perfectly for 3 years. I can't speak to the other models but I would gladly buy mine again, unless of course someone gave me the money to buy a VP2+...

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 07:10:05 PM »
Now now, I have a 1080 and it has run perfectly for 3 years. I can't speak to the other models but I would gladly buy mine again, unless of course someone gave me the money to buy a VP2+...

I guarantee you the temps/wind and hum are all way off.  But hey - it is your money.

Offline Stetson1

• Cordera Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Cordera Weather
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 02:49:27 PM »
You know what they say about guarantees...

I have a VP2 owner only a short distance away and we are generally within a few tenths of a degree difference (easily explained by the distance), our wind and humidity numbers are extremely close. I understand the general bigotry towards the inexpensive stations but my station being off by less than 5% and costing somewhere near $500 less doesn't bother me at all.

If money was no object would I get a Davis, sure. But this is just a hobby for me. It would be nice if folks would stop generalizing about anything non-Davis as being unworthy. It does get old after a while.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 03:00:58 PM »
I agree.  I have three different types of stations on the same pole and they're generally very close together.  However, the update rates and the units of measure vary greatly, which makes a difference.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 06:29:58 PM »
I agree.  I have three different types of stations on the same pole and they're generally very close together.  However, the update rates and the units of measure vary greatly, which makes a difference.

IME the WS1090 is a POC.  Not even worth the hundred bucks.  This is compared to a simple Rat SHack temp hum unit.  The 1090 rad shield is useless (overrreports by 3-5 C), wind is schizophrenic and humidity is reporting from a diofferent planet.  And compared to my Davis which, yes, cost 4 times the amount it is a joke.  I am hoping the Acurite station on order will be better for about half the cost of a Vue.  My 99 buck AAG Electronica One Wire station was far better.  Wish they still made them....

anything