Author Topic: Avoiding false alerts  (Read 3611 times)

Offline W3TDH

Avoiding false alerts
« on: January 20, 2013, 05:02:42 PM »
I am in need of a radio that will be resistant to false alerts.  I have a First alert WX-268 that I have taken out of service because of receiving multiple reception error alerts.  If anyone can recommend a radio that never false alerts I would like to hear about it. 

-- 
Tom Horne

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
Re: Avoiding false alerts
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 08:13:27 PM »
Hi Tom,

I recommend the Reecom-R-1630 radio.  Have had one for about 2 years and love it.  Absolutely no issues or false alerts. Completely programmable as to the alerts you want to hear, plus when an alert goes off, the radio sounds the alarm for 8 seconds, then announces the alert once.  Once the alert completes, the radio goes silent.  Love that feature, especially at night!!!!  Has battery backup that is good for 7 days.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 09:35:12 PM »
I also have a Reecom and have seen no false alerts. I see the amber LED on Wednesdays from the required weekly test. This radio has been used to feed into a TV though, so I am going by the LED as an indicator.

I also have an older model "Weather EAR" http://emergencyalertradio.com/. This one will play throughout the house with speakers on the main floor and basement. (my own amp/wiring)

This one has been in operation for about 10 years with reliable operation.

Greg H

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 12:04:43 AM »
Hi Tom,

I recommend the Reecom-R-1630 radio.  Have had one for about 2 years and love it.  Absolutely no issues or false alerts. Completely programmable as to the alerts you want to hear, plus when an alert goes off, the radio sounds the alarm for 8 seconds, then announces the alert once.  Once the alert completes, the radio goes silent.  Love that feature, especially at night!!!!  Has battery backup that is good for 7 days.

John

Same experience here...and the Reecom is the only radio I know of which keeps a log of the alerts it has received.

BTW - All the Radio Shack radios I've owned have consumed the backup batteries much quicker than they should (not because of power outages, the radio seems to use too much power when checking the battery's status), no such problem with the Reecom.
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 07:19:19 AM »
I have both a Reecom and a Sangean CL100.  Like both.  Both have been on the money to alert properly.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I