Author Topic: WS1080 Stability and Uploading of Data to WeatherUnderground  (Read 3047 times)

Offline teepee

WS1080 Stability and Uploading of Data to WeatherUnderground
« on: January 07, 2013, 04:03:54 PM »
Hi,

I'm a relative newbie at this weather recording. I have my weather station functioning relatively well. However I have two problems.

1. Intermittently I lose the outside temperature, wind and rainfall readings (ie this data is all displayed as dashes) and at the same time, the clock resets itself to 12.00pm and 1/1/10 plus a number is displayed briefly in the pressure area "3939 or 3641"
On the 26th of Dec, this happened constantly for about a 2 hr period, the data readings would come back after approx 2-3 minutes, i'd rest the clock and all would function well, except that during this 2 hr period, it happened constantly about 15 times, then mysteriously disappeared. It then functioned correctly until the 30th where the same thing happened once and hasn't happened since. Given the clock reset it would seem the fault is within the console, but that doesn't make sense to me either given the relative stability I'm now having.

Note: System initially set up on the 23/11.

Would be interested if any other members are having similar experiences

2. Weathersnoop to Weather Underground (this may be off topic)

When the computer is off, obviously no data is sent to the the outside weather reporting sites, for me that is "Weather Underground". When I turn the computer back on, Weather underground either doesn't get all of the stored data or it utilises only the latest reading as on the site, it doesn't update their site with the stored data.

I'm using Weathersnoop 2.2. 4 on my Macpro to connect to Weather Underground

Is anybody aware of how this operates and also is it possible to connect the weather station to my local network so that the data transmission is independent of the computer status?

Thanks in Advance

Terry

« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 04:10:33 PM by teepee »

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: WS1080 Stability and Uploading of Data to WeatherUnderground
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 05:39:37 PM »
Hi Terry and welcome to the forum.
 The station sounds as if it's doing a console reset periodically. Losing the outside sensor suite connection and internal clock reset indicate this. Power interruption in the console is one thing that could cause this. Check that the console batteries are Alkaline (not rechargeables) and measure at least 1.5v each. If you can see inside the battery compartment verify that when the batteries are inserted the their individual contacts reach and make solid contact with the battery and it's not the compartment molding only that's holding the battery in.
Replace under warranty if this isn't the case?

I'm not an Apple user but do know whenever you break contact with WU it can take some time for them to start posting your data again. This time can vary in length as well.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 05:43:58 PM by DanS »

Offline teepee

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 01:37:30 PM »
Dan, Thanks for your reply. After the fist instance of this problem, I did replace the batteries which were rechargeables, with some good quality rechargeables. Subsequent to that I then went and bought some Lithium Batteries and placed them in the console. I can't remember when that was exactly and I didn't write it down in my log. It may have been after the last incident. Based on this and your response, I'll monitor the situation for a while longer given that it has been stable for a week. If it starts again, I'll take it back.

Again thanks for your advice.

ON issue 2, I find it surprising that they (WU) require you to be online 24hr. I would have thought that they could take batch updates as most people's computers are invariably are so to got to sleep if not for certain time periods 

Terry

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 05:14:57 PM »
The part you mention, 'stable for a week', sounds promising.  You have to watch where you can use rechargeable batteries and where it may be a problem. In this case, using rechargeables (1.2v ea.) you're running with 3.6v full charge but with alkalines and Lithiums (1.5v ea.) you're running the console with 4.5v which may be enough to make a difference. Of course if you can locate rechargeable Alkalines (1.5v ea.) then this is all out the door.  ;)

Offline unbidden

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 10:02:02 AM »
Terry, first thing that comes to mind is on your weather console, recheck what you have your "time zone" set to. I had the same issue; had my zone set to "5" thinking this was EST when actually "-5" is EST.

Offline teepee

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 03:44:31 PM »
Unbidden, what were the symptoms you experienced?

Offline unbidden

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 09:31:07 AM »

The console would revert back 2 hours in time when the time hit 12:00 and the weather station data would not be reported to WU.

Did you double check your Time Zone Setting on your weather console?

Offline Reverie

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 10:37:01 AM »
Did the new batteries fix this problem?

Reverie

Offline karona

• Razdel Weather
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 08:17:36 AM »

The console would revert back 2 hours in time when the time hit 12:00 and the weather station data would not be reported to WU.

Did you double check your Time Zone Setting on your weather console?
Another vote for checking your timezone settings. I'm in the south east of Europe, my timezone is GMT+3. I'm way out of range of the Rugby Time setting transmitter in the UK, and under certain exceptional weather conditions I receive the DCF77 LW signals from Germany, which sets the clock to German time, currently GMT+2. When this happens, maybe once a month, the clock resets, I get an E-mail from WU about checking timezones, and Weather Display crashes. I've set my time to zone +1 (I.E. 1 hour ahead of German time) and the problem has gone away
Aercus Instruments WS3083
Weather Display 10.37R