Author Topic: 10m Wind Altitude  (Read 1514 times)

Offline wxnerd

10m Wind Altitude
« on: July 06, 2023, 08:16:04 PM »
As a meteorologist that's used to dealing with questions from the public, I actually had one that stumped me a bit. This was kind of a long discussion with a guy that was not a meteorologist, but seemed to have an above-average knowledge of physics and common sense. He asked me why we take official wind measurements at 10 meters and not the same 2 meter (near average human height) that we do temperature.

At first, I explained the obvious reasonings of ground friction slowing winds, trees/buildings/other structures slowing/blocking/altering winds and the need to have uninterrupted low level flow information to track temp/moisture advection.

His response: That makes sense and I can see why a forecaster would want to know 10m wind as well as winds at all levels of the atmosphere, but a 2m wind would be more important to your average Joe because that's the wind he actually feels blowing on his face. Even if it's a slower speed due to friction, that's just part of natural physics and it's what he's actually feeling. Plus, you use this to calculate wind chill. Well, unless he's sitting on the top of a 30 foot tree, that can't be what the temperature feels like on his skin because he's not experiencing the full amount of that wind speed at ground level. Shouldn't we also have wind gauges reporting from 2m to give a better idea of the human experience?

I was a bit stumped and didn't know what to say. Because the more I thought about it, he actually kind of had a valid point. Especially with wind chill. How can we honestly say "this is what the temp feels like to the human skin" when the human skin is only experiencing a fraction of the wind speed we're using the calculate with? I got to thinking that maybe there would be some value if stations in unsheltered spots had 2 anemometers reporting both 2m and 10m winds? I realize, it's impossible to replicate all the possibilities of blocking from trees/building, but a 2m in open field measurement would at least incorporate the frictional drag and give a closer estimate of "max possible" winds that human would experience.

Curious as to what others in the weather industry think. Could 2m wind have some "personal" value even if it's of little scientific value? Is this another chapter of "Serving science over the people" (ie. the whole "Superstorm Sandy" debacle of changing the status from tropical to extratropical before landfall for scientific reasons without thought of how it could impact the public. Many mistakenly thought the storm had somehow weakened rather than simply a change in temperature structure within the storm.) Maybe we are concentrating on 10m winds for our own scientific reasons and underestimating the value that a true surface wind could have for the general public?

Would love to hear your thoughts!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 08:27:16 PM by wxnerd »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: 10m Wind Altitude
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 08:32:08 PM »
I don't know this as fact, but makes complete sense to me. Wind measurement is one of, if not the most important aspects of landing a plane. Given that a median-ish height for air-carrier aircraft control surfaces is about 10 meters AGL, that's why it's measured there.

Offline wxnerd

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2023, 09:11:06 PM »
I don't know this as fact, but makes complete sense to me. Wind measurement is one of, if not the most important aspects of landing a plane. Given that a median-ish height for air-carrier aircraft control surfaces is about 10 meters AGL, that's why it's measured there.

Does make sense. I'm certainly not in favor of doing away with 10m wind measurements. I just wonder if there's some value of adding a 2m wind in addition.

Honestly, I'd love to have a 2,000ft towers and just litter them with sensors every couple feet from the ground up. Live, high resolution temp and wind data of the whole lower atmosphere! If only there was an unlimited budget! But I digress....

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2023, 04:15:01 AM »
My in-expert thoughts...

The 2m wind is usually much more turbulent and gusty in typical environments. I expect depending on topology (buildings etc) the guests may sometimes exceed the 10m value though the average is lower.

There's not that many people experience a laminar open field airflow to make the 2m reading that meaningful either, though it may be closer to the truth.
Mark

Offline weatherdoc

• Senior Contributor
    • Willowsford Farm Weather
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2023, 07:03:32 AM »
According to the World Meteorological Organization (https://library.wmo.int/doc_num.php?explnum_id=3177#:~:text=Wind%20observations%20or%20measurements%20are%20required%20for%20weather,evaporation%20for%20air%20pollution%20dispersion%20and%20agricultural%20applications.)

Section 5.9 EXPOSURE OF WIND INSTRUMENTS
5.9.1 General problems
Wind speed increases considerably with height, particularly over rough terrain. For this reason, a standard height of 10 m above open terrain is specified for the exposure of wind instruments.

Offline TheBushPilot

• Senior Contributor
  • Calibration Technician
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2023, 05:27:18 PM »
IIRC WMO actually changed the height of wind measurement way back when to accommodate for the larger size of modern aircraft.

I know wind at 2 meters is not standard for general application meteorological stations but quite a few of the state and university funded mesonet projects utilize that measurement. I know Kansas and Oklahoma do so for agriculture, and Missouri while 3 meters is closer to 2 than 10. There are also probably some applications of 2 m with the EPA if I had to guess, similar to 9/2m temp delta calculations. While it may not be useful to the average person assuming they are in an obstructed place, we could argue the same for 10 m wind. It's simply a point measurement we can (I guess) interpolate what it may be where we are.

Honestly, I'd love to have a 2,000ft towers and just litter them with sensors every couple feet from the ground up. Live, high resolution temp and wind data of the whole lower atmosphere! If only there was an unlimited budget! But I digress....

This reminds me of some pictures of a project (that I cannot remember the name of  ](*,)) I found a long time ago.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Getting PBL data is actually possible with SODAR/LiDAR. I believe the West Texas Mesonet and the NYS Mesonet utilize this technology operationally. Albeit only at select locations as that technology is $$$. I know the NSSL also does this with CLAMPS which is basically a mobile trailer weather station with remote sensing capabilities and with their mobile LiDAR trucks.

Very interesting thoughts nonetheless.

Cheers
"There is — always — more than one thing influencing anything we are trying to measure." ~ Sherman Fredrickson
"Do it right or don't do it at all."

Met Instruments Project
Central Chasers

Offline havtrail

• Senior Contributor
    • Haverford Weather Station
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2023, 05:11:18 PM »
It would be interesting to know the results of that study, and see how the wind data at various heights, measured at the same time, varies.

Rich K.
Onset HOBO RX2102 Cellular
https://www.havtrail.com/weather/
NEWA https://newa.cornell.edu Haverford, PA

Offline hofpwx

• HyView Boulder weather
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2024, 11:22:33 AM »

Does make sense. I'm certainly not in favor of doing away with 10m wind measurements. I just wonder if there's some value of adding a 2m wind in addition.

The National Wind Technology Center of NREL has 3 135 meter towers that provide tons of observations from 2, 5, 10, 20, 50 and 80 meters, and they provide one minute resolution data.

anything