Author Topic: WR-300 Alarm On/Off Questions  (Read 5511 times)

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.wxbeacon.com
WR-300 Alarm On/Off Questions
« on: April 03, 2008, 09:31:20 PM »

My Midland WR-300 arrived last Thursday. Pretty slick machine.

I have two questions regarding its siren/voice alert:

1.  If an alert sounds (whether set to siren or voice), does it BLEEEEP until you turn it off, or does it blare for so many minutes and then turn itself off? I don't see anything in the Owner's Manual that mentions this.

For example, if we aren't home for the day or weekend and an alert (or test) sounds and no one is home to turn it off, does it just keep blaring until the alert/watch/warning is cancelled? If so, then it could be chirping for a long time.

2.  The unit has an on-off-volume wheel. Will an alert sound (whether siren or voice) even if that that wheel is set to "off"? Or must that be "on" to receive siren or voice alerts? If dialing that to "off" mutes the siren and voice alerts, then I know what to do if we go out for the day or so (question 1).

As always, thanks!

Kevin...
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan
Hardware:  Davis Vantage Pro Wireless, Midland WR-300
Software: VWS 14.01p43, WeatherFlash, & GRLevel3

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
Re: WR-300 Alarm On/Off Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 05:09:03 PM »
If you have it set to Siren then it will only sound the Siren for so many seconds then go off without the proceeding voice message. Their are certain Sirens for certain warnings or watches. Some are faster and some are slower. It should be listed in the manual which is which or you can look on Midland. You have the option with this radio to select which alerts (advisory, watches, warnings) you want to be alerted on. Keep in mind, just because you might have one alert set to on you might not be alerted because it depends on the office weather then send an alert tone out. For example your area might be under a Wind Advisory, Warning, etc and you have your radio to except those alerts. You radio might not be alerted because the NWS office near you probably don't think it is severe enough to send an alert so you might not always get alerts for less severe weather. Mostly I just get alerts for Thunderstorm and Tornado Watches and Warnings sent from my office. Sometimes I have even gotten Flood and Flash Flood Watches and Warnings if their is a storm present. Otherwise their could be one issued but not send an alert.

Now this is where it could stay on depending on your alert setting if you have voice selected. First though when it is in voice mode you will get the the normal Siren as above but after the Siren it will be followed by the voice alert message I.E. "The NWS has issued a Severe Thunderstorm Warning for SO and So country until yada yada yada" It will normally stay on for about 5 mins then go off. Now if you have alerts turned off then the radio will stay on once an alert is fired off if the radio is currently on, otherwise it will go off. If you have alerts on then it will do as I explained above, siren then voice message then go off after 5 mins. Most people if they are streaming will turn alerts off so the radio does not go off after an alert. This is why I have two one for streaming and one to get actually alerts.

To check if your alerts are on or off you can do this. Make sure the radio is off as in not broadcasting weather. Then hold down the Alert On/Off button for 3 seconds until the screen starts flashing. It will ether flash Alerts On or Alerts Off. If you want to change this then while continuing to hold down the alerts button use the up/down arrows to change the setting then hit select to save your selection. 

So basically to answer your question if you have alerts on and voice set then after five mins I guess it is it will go off. Hope this helps and clears up some confusion.