Author Topic: Storm Predator  (Read 8266 times)

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Storm Predator
« on: September 02, 2006, 08:01:47 AM »
New version of Storm Predator released for those that are interested.
http://www.stormpredator.com/
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: Storm Predator
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 05:27:39 AM »
Anybody using this?

Looking for some feedback on it.  I'm considering using it in addition to GRL3.

I see references to Topo Mapping and GIS, but I don't see anything about any type of user addable Place Files.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 02:43:43 PM »
Tried this one too but again it just wasn't for me for me. Really depends on what your looking for in addition to GR3.
I'm   in the minority but I use this program. http://www.nexrad3.com/Nexrad3.html
This program can do  what the others do but what sold it for me was the capability to use multiple sites on one image. You make your own radar maps. Here's 2 examples. The first uses 4 radar sites. The second uses 3 radar sites. The images are completely customizable.
http://www.candlerfloridaweather.justfriendsbassin.com/images/Florida/p19r0/loop.gif
http://www.candlerfloridaweather.justfriendsbassin.com/images/Levy_County/p19r0/loop.gif

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 03:43:50 PM »
I've been thinking about adding one of these radar programs, but it's becoming a tough choice. I like StormPredator for the free added lightning data, GRLevel3 for the radar smoothing and NEXRAD3 for the multiple sites and experimental 3D capability.

Rats...

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 04:05:08 PM »
I've looked at them all, and I can't remember if Predator had multiple site displays or not.

I think I tried NR3 a while back but it was too slow on my web connection when it updated multiple sites, whcih is why GR3 doesn't do it.

GR3 is the best for most things, but it takes a while to get used to it.  I need something to work in a room where several people might be looking at it, and GR3 tends to confuse some of them since they are not really techies or weather junkies.

Predator has a better visual 'pop' to it for those types of folks, but I don't know if it's as accurate as GR3 where it matters.

What I'll probably do is download the trial versions of each once we get closer to storm season again and give them a run for their money.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 06:24:50 PM »
For what its worth Nexrad3 updates the images extremely fast. Even back when I had dial up it updated fast. You may have tried an earlier version.
One other added goodie is a full screen feature. If several people are going to being viewing the program  this is a nice feature. By full screen I do mean full screen. It takes up the whole monitor.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 07:08:37 PM »
Ocala, have you tried Nexrad3's 3D feature? If so, do you have an image to show us?

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 07:39:35 AM »
I have tried it but don't base your decision on using the program because of this option. It is very experimental, and by the authors own admission its still a work in progress. Its an absolute memory hog. Unless you have a fast processor it takes a while to get one image. I did try one last night but for whatever reason I can't load the image for you to see. I'll try to upload an image if I can.
Check you PM slo.

Offline WeatherBuffs.Com

• http://www.weatherbuffs.com
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 04:19:10 PM »
Hi All,

We carry Storm Predator V3 CD Version and have had much positive feedback on the ease of use and tracking tools from our customers.  The lightning imagery and Auto FTP utility work great.  We found the ETA for tracking incomming storms to be very accurate as well.  One of my favorite features of course is getting updates and radar imagery on my cell phone.  I would recommend the CD-ROM version since it comes with the full set of skins and buttons, over 300 editable topographic basemaps, all the layer images, and the FTP utility (N/A for the download version).  Its definetly worth the $40 bucks, you can also get it for FREE with a Honeywell TE923W or any Davis VantagePro2...

-Antonio A
WeatherBuffs.Com
www.WeatherBuffs.Com - The Most Trusted Name in Weather & Time.  Factory Authorized Direct Retailers for Davis Instruments, Columbia Weather Systems, Oregon Scientific, LaCrosse Technology, Honeywell Weather, and MANY more.

anything