Author Topic: OS WMR-968  (Read 19679 times)

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
OS WMR-968
« on: August 28, 2006, 08:39:43 AM »
On the old forum someone was selling several OS WMR-968 stations plus some extra parts. Does any one remember who this was?

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline PSJohn

• Senior Contributor
    • DesertWeather.com
OS WMR-968
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 07:02:48 PM »
Are you looking for parts? If so what do you need! I don't have a complete station but do have a box of parts from 4 years of 2 stations gone bad!

-John

update: in a few days I will take inventory and post here. (box is in storage)
John Slama
Palm Springs, California
Davis Vantage Pro 2, FARS

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
OS WMR-968
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 08:29:59 AM »
Sorry I've been so long in replying to your post. I only check this forum about once or twice a week. To answer your question I need the anemometer and transmitter. Mine died over two years ago and I've never replaced it. Keep hoping to upgrade to a Davis but just can't come up with the $$$.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
OS WMR-968
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 10:20:21 AM »
Check the prices at Provantage before thinking you can't afford it...cheapest I was able to find...
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline PSJohn

• Senior Contributor
    • DesertWeather.com
OS WMR-968
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 03:45:35 PM »
Back at you with the delay, i've been busy.  The anemometer and transmitter seemed to fail first for me. Sorry, I can't help you out, I don't have those!

Just a side note... you can pick up a complete WMR-968 at costco.com for $199.00.  Until you get the fund for VP2, you could replace the anemometer and have spare parts for the future!

good luck!
John Slama
Palm Springs, California
Davis Vantage Pro 2, FARS

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
OS WMR-968
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 08:51:43 AM »
PSJohn, Thanks for the reply. I have thought about just buying the basic Davis station and then buying Weatherlink later. But if I do that I will loose all the data that I could be collecting. I think it a shame that Davis makes you buy something just so you can connect the station to your computer. If the cheep statrions can connect directly why can't the Davis?

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
OS WMR-968
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 02:17:56 PM »
Probably because the Davis is more than a serial cable. It's a data logger that stores everything (up to the size of the memory) until the next time you connect the computer.

(That's not to say that I don't think it's overpriced. I think it is. OTHO, maybe that's one way they support Tech Support.)

Offline BfdWx

• WxElement panel
  • Senior Contributor
    • Branford Weather
OS WMR-968
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 08:21:23 PM »
Having used (until recently) a Lacrosse 2310 and now a VP2, I agree that Davis should include the cable and software. The VP2 is a great station but the 2310 isn't bad either. Best of all for $150.00 bucks or so you can get a serial cable plus software from Lacrosse, more than enough for the average weather buff! Lets face it, why have an elaborate data logger if you are going to use a PC anyway?

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
    • http://pineislandweather.com
OS WMR-968
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 08:52:02 PM »
Quote from: "firewall"
Having used (until recently) a Lacrosse 2310 and now a VP2, I agree that Davis should include the cable and software. The VP2 is a great station but the 2310 isn't bad either. Best of all for $150.00 bucks or so you can get a serial cable plus software from Lacrosse, more than enough for the average weather buff! Lets face it, why have an elaborate data logger if you are going to use a PC anyway?

Because not everyone leaves their PC on 24 hours a day. I do, but lots of folks don't.

Offline BfdWx

• WxElement panel
  • Senior Contributor
    • Branford Weather
OS WMR-968
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 09:22:09 PM »
Point well taken, but won't the VP2 keep a fair amount of (overnight) memory on it's own? Why not make a simple serial or USB that is about $100.00 cheaper?

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
OS WMR-968
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 09:53:16 PM »
I don't think the VP2 has any internal memory for storage purposes like that. That's why they have the datalogger... Without the datalogger it's just an expensive desktop weather display console.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
OS WMR-968
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2006, 08:46:18 AM »
Well I still say Davis needs to give us two options of how to connect the station to the computer. I also leave my computer running 24/7. Therefore the datalogger is useless to me. All I need to do is connect the station and let my weather software do the rest.

Could someone with a Davis call Davis and find out of there is a way to connect the console to your computer without using weatherling. Like they would tell you if there was. :wink:

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
    • http://pineislandweather.com
OS WMR-968
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2006, 01:54:00 PM »
Quote from: "Anthony"
Well I still say Davis needs to give us two options of how to connect the station to the computer. I also leave my computer running 24/7. Therefore the datalogger is useless to me. All I need to do is connect the station and let my weather software do the rest.

Guess that depends upon how you define useless. If you're power goes out or even more likely your PC crashes or locks up, you're going to lose data. The datalogger prevents that.

Not that I don't agree that you should be able to connect to the PC without a datalogger, but you need to understand that a good part of Davis' target audience involves agriculture and applications that are not always accessible. Unlike what most of us here do, those stations are not going to be hooked up to a PC all the time.

So in short, what most of us are doing represents only a piece of the pie, and I too would like to see an option to hook to the PC directly. But despite the fact that my Wx PC is connected 24/7, I consider the datalogger far from useless, I consider it a necessity and would own one even if there was a direct connect capability.

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
OS WMR-968
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2006, 04:31:00 PM »
Good point(s). I had never thought about the computer crashing. As far as power outages go I have a UPS. But that's only good for 20 - 30 mins. And unless theres a storm going on you're not missing any really important data any way. Unless maybe it's winter time.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline talbert1952

• Contributor
    • http://tobaccovilleweather.com
OS WMR-968
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2006, 04:33:17 PM »
I agree with Anole. I think the Weatherlink logger is a valuable piece of the Davis system. It provides a way to capture data during severe weather when running a computer may not be practical or possible. The logger also gives you the ability to shut down the weather station computer for maintenance and upgrades without losing any data.
Tom
W4SNA
IRLP 4069 - Echolink W4SNA-R

http://tobaccovilleweather.com/
Hardware: Davis 6153 wireless VP2 with 24 hr fan aspirated radiation shield, WMR968, Boltek Stormtracker PCI,
  Hamtronics R139, stacked Woodhouse 6X6 beams on Yaesu G-5500 az/el rotator
Software: Weatherlink, VWS, Image Salsa, Lightning/2000, GRLevel3 with Allison House data feed, WxtoImg

Offline talbert1952

• Contributor
    • http://tobaccovilleweather.com
OS WMR-968
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2006, 07:01:55 PM »
Quote from: "Anthony"
Good point(s). I had never thought about the computer crashing. As far as power outages go I have a UPS. But that's only good for 20 - 30 mins. And unless theres a storm going on you're not missing any really important data any way. Unless maybe it's winter time.

We have ice storm induced power outages lasting from several hours to several days just about every winter. Computers aren't very useful when utility power is off unless a reliable source of back-up power available.

If day-to-day run of the mill data isn't important why do we go to so much trouble to collect and publish it?
Tom
W4SNA
IRLP 4069 - Echolink W4SNA-R

http://tobaccovilleweather.com/
Hardware: Davis 6153 wireless VP2 with 24 hr fan aspirated radiation shield, WMR968, Boltek Stormtracker PCI,
  Hamtronics R139, stacked Woodhouse 6X6 beams on Yaesu G-5500 az/el rotator
Software: Weatherlink, VWS, Image Salsa, Lightning/2000, GRLevel3 with Allison House data feed, WxtoImg

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
OS WMR-968
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2006, 11:11:18 PM »
I like the data logger too.  I only have one computer.  When it was in the shop for several days my logger was still at work saving everything for when the computer came back on line.  A couple of years ago we was without power three days after an ice storm.  The VP run on the batteries logging all the information.  Both times all the data downloaded into WeatherLink and VWS just like it was supposed to and my records remained complete.   8)
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
OS WMR-968
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2006, 08:38:43 AM »
OF course in the case of a long term power outage or a system crash then the logger would be very valuable. We don't have that many ice storms here where I live. The longest my power has ever been out is a day and half. And remember I never said the logger was not useful. I just said there needs to be a way to hook the station up to your computer without the logger. Where would you be if the logger died and the computer was still working?? You'd be SOL.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
OS WMR-968
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2006, 08:24:37 PM »
Someone mentioned they'd like to see a LAN connector on the console.  I had not thought of that one.  But as more people use in home networks with multiple computers connected, that could be handy to have.  I've seen a few people installing network cables along with the phone and electrical wiring on new homes.
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
OS WMR-968
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2006, 12:01:18 PM »
I agree also, it would be outstanding if there was a LAN output...

My main interest would be to untether the console from the computer... but pricing would have to be less than getting an additional Envoy, which is about $135...

I'd like to have my weather computer located differently from my console... I'd like to win the lottery too...
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline WeatherBuffs.Com

• http://www.weatherbuffs.com
Re: OS WMR-968
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2007, 04:45:49 PM »
Hi All,

We have plenty of replacement parts for the Oregon Scientific WMR-968.  We offer additional base units with purchase of the WMR-968's but we end up taking it out of a full unit which leaves us with all the sensors and such.  Here is what we have available as of today:

BTHR968 - Indoor Temp/Humidity/Baro Sensor
THGR968 - Outdoor Thermo-Hygro w/ Cable
STR938 - Large Solar Panel Only
STR928N - Small Solar Panel Only
RGR968 - Rain Bucket
WGR968 - Anemometer (complete)
CUPS968 - Replacement Wind Cups for WGR968

We buy from Oregon Sci directly and they do not have any of these parts available which is why we started pulling them from complete units.  If you need any of these please let me know directly.  Much appreciated!

-Antonio A
WeatherBuffs.Com
tony@weatherbuffs.com
www.WeatherBuffs.Com - The Most Trusted Name in Weather & Time.  Factory Authorized Direct Retailers for Davis Instruments, Columbia Weather Systems, Oregon Scientific, LaCrosse Technology, Honeywell Weather, and MANY more.