Author Topic: WXSpots  (Read 16969 times)

Offline Harryca

• Forecaster
    • Union City, CA Weather
WXSpots
« on: March 03, 2008, 06:56:34 PM »

This looks like it could be a pretty useful tool.  The person that developed it is a ham and it is free to anyone (hams and non-hams).

WXSpots, a new tool in the tool chest for Skywarn operations and weather enthusiasts is now available! WXSpots is a free, Internet based system designed to quickly disseminate observed reports of severe weather to all connected users.

WXSpots is a tool in the tool chest for those interested in severe weather observations. By its very nature of dependence on the Internet, WXSpots can't provide data from a severely affected area. That is where Amateur Radio shines brightest! On the other hand, WXSpots can quickly communicate data from those observers just outside it. It also provides the means to help monitor local severe weather as it unfolds with many more observers able to communicate what they are seeing.

WXSpots features include:

- The ability to disseminate observations quickly and efficiently anywhere.

- The ability to add the eyes of Skywarn enthusiasts who aren't Amateur Radio Operators.

- The ability to instantly create message groups with other connected users on the fly.

- The ability to monitor observations from all users, or only display observations for your state or county.

- An automated, historical record of recent observations.

- The ability to keep tabs on current observations without necessarily being near a radio.

To learn more, please visit www.wxspots.com, and be sure to read through the FAQ page while you are there!

Harry

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
Re: WXSpots
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 04:51:49 PM »
I'm still using this little app.  It has had quite a few changes since this first post was made though.  You can now add your own imagery, have it automatically collect data from your PWS, and with the combination of the free WXWarn program, have it automatically keep you alert of the latest watches, warnings, advisories, forecasts, etc.

I keep my WXSpots opened daily.
Hardware:  Acurite Atlas with Lightning Detector
CoCoRaHs Station: LA-TG-11

NWS's Ponchatoula/Hammond Area's COOP Member
President | Director of Operations - StormCast

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 10:56:22 PM »
Been using it for about 2 years good program

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 06:42:07 PM »
Is there any interest out there to get this going again?  Over the past few years, interest has dwindled down and now there's only about 12 - 20 people logged on at any given minute.  I remember the days when there was around 100 online at one time.  It was fun....real time chatting with fellow weather enthusiasts, ground reports, etc.  Sure, it's not directly tied into the NWS, but I did know of a few offices that were using it.

If we can pick up activity again, I'm sure a few offices would begin using it again.  I stepped away from it myself because the wxspots server was acting up, but all has been stable for a few months now.  I'm back on it, and if my laptop is powered up, I'm logged onto it.  The biggest thing I see right now is folks log in, make a report and log out, but there's no harm in staying logged in at all times.  That helps pick up interest.

Any interest or opinions???

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 01:12:41 AM »
I recently took over the server for WxSpots and have been pushing it on the WxSpots email groups as well as Facebook page. During the past 24 hours, we've increased the number online to 24-28 during the day. Some of the older members are coming back. My goal is to get back closer to 100 by severe weather season. Its has happened before and can happen again. I'd also like to get more Skywarn spotters involved.

A big thing is once you're logged in, stay logged in. When you step away, just click "minimize to taskbar" instead of exiting. This way the numbers can keep growing. The more online, the more useful it becomes. I'd like to get back to the point when NWS offices used to monitor WxSpots for observations. Not to mention you can connect your weather station to it which is always fun.

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 12:14:47 AM »
We did real good with the last winter event in the southeastern U.S. We almost touched 50 online, and may have since I wasn't watching the entire time. We've been up to an average of about 32 online at any given moment so severe weather season is looking promising.

If you haven't tried out WxSpots, give it a go. It can get pretty fun conversing with others during active weather. If you have a personal weather station, ask how to get it connected to WxSpots. Also, like our group on Facebook.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 09:56:20 AM »
Hi,
I have downloaded, but not sure if I can use it from Canada?

Paul

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 09:59:53 AM »
You sure can Paul. We have someone over in the UK. Where it says State, I believe you can put in Can. or something. We had a couple members from Canada 2 years ago but can't remember exactly how they had it set up.

Offline Harryca

• Forecaster
    • Union City, CA Weather
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 06:55:08 PM »
I recently took over the server for WxSpots and have been pushing it on the WxSpots email groups as well as Facebook page. During the past 24 hours, we've increased the number online to 24-28 during the day. Some of the older members are coming back. My goal is to get back closer to 100 by severe weather season. Its has happened before and can happen again. I'd also like to get more Skywarn spotters involved.

A big thing is once you're logged in, stay logged in. When you step away, just click "minimize to taskbar" instead of exiting. This way the numbers can keep growing. The more online, the more useful it becomes. I'd like to get back to the point when NWS offices used to monitor WxSpots for observations. Not to mention you can connect your weather station to it which is always fun.

Scott, Good to see you revive WXSpots.  I believe it is a useful program.  Another way to generate interest is to ad a banner on your website which is what I did years ago.  You can see it here on my tornado/severe t-storm warnings page located at http://ucweather.org/stormauto.php  I used the banner that Scott D. had on the WXSpots website however, I don't find it anymore.

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 07:06:11 PM »
Thanks Harry. Good to hear from you. I have a banner on the bottom of my forums at gulfcoastwx.com, but need to add one to my pws site as well.

We do have a Facebook page as well :)

Hopefully as severe weather season takes off, we'll continue getting more and more active.

Offline Harryca

• Forecaster
    • Union City, CA Weather
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 07:23:17 PM »
Oh okay, yeah, you have the same one I do.  With your permission, I would like to add a text link to your forums page from my tornado/severe t-storms warning page and my hurricane page located at http://ucweather.org/hurricaneauto.php as well.  That should help get the word out.

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 07:36:51 PM »
Most definitely. Thanks for the link.

Offline Harryca

• Forecaster
    • Union City, CA Weather
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 05:32:45 AM »
Looks like a good chance to put WXSpots to use this weekend.

From NWS:
Heavy rain and thunderstorms possible across Texas and Gulf Coast

A slow moving front along the Gulf Coast will be the focus for rainfall across a wide span of the South this weekend. Abundant moisture from the Gulf will allow periods of heavy rainfall from Texas to the Deep South. Flash Flood Watches are in effect for parts of this region.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 05:34:37 AM by Harryca »

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 03:45:26 PM »
Hey, I'd just like to add that I would certainly be interested in joining!  8-)

Just from checking out the site, it looks like a great gig! Would it just be for the Gulf area though or for severe wx across the nation?
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 04:24:05 PM »
I am reporting on WXSpots
Lots of flooding activity in LA

Paul

Offline Harryca

• Forecaster
    • Union City, CA Weather
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 04:31:03 PM »
Hey, I'd just like to add that I would certainly be interested in joining!  8-)

Just from checking out the site, it looks like a great gig! Would it just be for the Gulf area though or for severe wx across the nation?

It doesn't matter where you are (USA, Canada, UK, etc.). It's for everybody (HAM's and non-HAM's). You don't have to be a member of Skywarn although it helps in knowing what to report.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2015, 09:16:15 AM »
I haven't been able to connect for the past 2 days.  Is it from my end?

Paul

Offline Al Massaro

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2015, 04:49:52 PM »
OK now I can't connect, it gives me a "socket disconnected message" My end or the site?
Al Massaro
KF5SMH
KNMAZTEC5
AV075

Offline Harryca

• Forecaster
    • Union City, CA Weather
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2015, 05:13:51 PM »
OK now I can't connect, it gives me a "socket disconnected message" My end or the site?

It's not you, it's the WXSpots server.  Unfortunately, WXSpots will not be working any longer.  The following is an email I received via the WXSpots mailing list:

Unfortunately, the time has come to pull the plug on WXSpots.

Scott Davis developed WXSpots eight years ago, but after a number of years, he could no longer devote the time necessary to continue to promote it.  I, Scott Guidry, took it over and brought usage up, but not to the level we were hoping for that justifies the time and expense necessary for continuing maintenance of the WX Spots server and related activities.  Therefore, after consultation with Scott Davis, we have sadly decided the best course is to take the WXSpots server off line now.  After this most recent outage, we were going to put it off until August 1st, however we cannot get the server operational again to last until then.  The WXSpots system will no longer function as of today.

This will not have any impact on WXWarn.  WXWarn works independently of WXSpots and will continue to function normally.  If you do use WXWarn, and have it set up to automatically open WXSpots, please uncheck that option in the menu.

We would like to express our sincere gratitude to everyone who's taken part in the WXSpots community over the past many years.  We are sad to see it go.  Again, thank everyone for sharing their observations, storm reports, and just plain old weather chats.  We were able to make some long distance friendships through WXSpots, and had some good times through the years.  Hopefully those will continue through other forms of social media.

Until next time,

Scott Guidry
Administrator - Gulf Coast Weather
NWS Hammond/Ponchatoula COOP Member and Advanced Storm Spotter

Offline Al Massaro

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2015, 05:29:40 PM »
Thanks, sucks, but Thanks!
Al Massaro
KF5SMH
KNMAZTEC5
AV075

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2015, 05:52:19 PM »
Thanks Scott and Scott for your time and effort to continue this for as long as you have.

Best regards,
Paul

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2015, 06:12:03 PM »
Thanks for all you have done to keep WxSpots floating during all of this time Scott. Hate to hear that the plug is being pulled, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Thanks for everything you have done.  8-)
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline Al Massaro

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2015, 07:42:54 PM »
Sorry I didn't mean to come off poorly, I am disappointed as I had just gotten to where I was automated, I also would like to say, Thanks, it was a very interesting program.
Al Massaro
KF5SMH
KNMAZTEC5
AV075

Offline Harryca

• Forecaster
    • Union City, CA Weather
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2015, 11:26:06 PM »
FYI, Scott Guidry decided to revive the server so WXSpots is back up and running again.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2015, 12:20:15 AM »
Thank you.  Took a little while to get the program reinstalled and remember how to add CoCoRaHS report on the list but think I've got it...

Paul

anything