Author Topic: Ambient Weather 1080 - no anemometer reading  (Read 4796 times)

Offline BuckeyeMark

Ambient Weather 1080 - no anemometer reading
« on: December 28, 2011, 01:21:36 AM »
Got the AW 1080 for Xmas.  Loving it - pretty easy to set up.  Am now monitoring the exciting weather in our living room before it goes to live outside in the real weather.

However, the wind speed anemometer doesn't seem to be registering at all.  Everyhting else works.  Nada on the wind speed.

Ideas?  Thanks.

Mark

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: Ambient Weather 1080 - no anemometer reading
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 04:40:19 AM »
First the obvious, sorry but don't want to overlook anything, did you run the cable between the wind speed (anny) and the direction vane input jack?  Have you tried re-seating this connection?  I'm assuming that you saw the wind cups rotate.  Do you get wind direction readings?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 04:44:12 AM by DanS »

Offline BuckeyeMark

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 08:16:23 AM »
yup, ran the cable, checked it.  plugged and unplugged it.  nada.

am getting wind direction readings so this is kinda weird... :?

Offline 4wd

• Forecaster
    • North York Moors weather
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 09:10:39 AM »
Do you have to attach the cups yourself?
Since you have direction I'd suspect they aren't seated correctly.
Check instructions carefully (!) some of these things need a bit more force than you might expect to pop fully home (but be gentle)

Offline BuckeyeMark

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 11:37:11 PM »
no attaching cups.  it was a unit - all three already on there.  just pop it on the base.  it spins freely. but no reading...

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 12:28:54 AM »
Well short of taking it back for exchange/refund, there is another easy check that won't void any warranty. If the connector from the anny cable is the rj-11 type you can set it firmly on a table top and use a thin blade (x-acto knife) and press the gold colored wire contacts down in the plastic against the wires. I have seen where this connection is marginal and causes a bad contact.

Offline BuckeyeMark

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 10:38:49 PM »
Well short of taking it back for exchange/refund, there is another easy check that won't void any warranty. If the connector from the anny cable is the rj-11 type you can set it firmly on a table top and use a thin blade (x-acto knife) and press the gold colored wire contacts down in the plastic against the wires. I have seen where this connection is marginal and causes a bad contact.

IT WORKED!!!!!  thanks so much.  returning stuff is such a pain.  I'm in business!!  thank you!

anything