Author Topic: my webhost is BAD  (Read 6258 times)

Offline anchorageweather

• Forecaster
    • http://eetee.us/station/station.php
my webhost is BAD
« on: August 24, 2006, 10:29:18 PM »
Ok, I've about had it with all of these TERRIBLE hosting companies for my weather web pages.  I had no idea that trying to find a cheap, good, php enabled web host would prove so difficult. :x

I'm currently on my fourth one and they all are either down all of the time, or SLOW to load php pages.  :cry:

Can people here tell me who you are using?  I don't really want my own domain - a subdomain would be fine.  I'd like something that is cheap, cheap, cheap (its really only a hobby to me, and I can't spend a lot).  But you would think I could find someone who can provide GREAT service for $60-80 year ?!?

Taking a deep breath....
South of the Tracks, Anchorage, KY

Offline Ravenstar

• Senior Contributor
    • http://veronaweather.com
my webhost is BAD
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 11:36:20 PM »
Bluehost is excellent, I've been with them five months now and I haven't caught them down yet, and I'm on here alot! Response time is excellent. Bandwidth is not even a consideration, last month I was over 2 gig and that is a fraction of what I'm allowed.

Better than that if you'd like you can put your domain as an addon to my account, everything of yours would be oblivious to my stuff, up to you. Or you could just try it out as a subdomain and test it.

Vantage pro 2 (wireless)

Offline anvana

• http://www.topsailweather.com
my webhost is BAD
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 12:27:57 AM »
I have some client sites at apollohosting.com for almost a year with good results. They are not the least expensive I've found but I pay by the year, so it's reasonable. Support has always been excellent as I use the company's live support chat application. In every instance they have resolved any problems in minutes.

I have found that with web hosting, you get what you pay for.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
my webhost is BAD
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 02:42:17 AM »
I agree with Joe.. you get what you pay for.

I have saratoga-weather.org hosted at 1and1.com on a shared Linux server - their $10/mo 'Business' plan.  I've been pleased with the features (PHP, mySql), traffic limit (1000Gb/month) and reliability. YMMV

I have another site on iPowerWeb.com -- not as pleased with them (Tech support is not really good) and features < 1and1 and cost > 1and1, but it's not 'my' site.. I'm just the webmaster there :-)

Beware the inexpensive hosters.. they may suddenly vanish (like simple-web.net) and take you with them (like weatherforum.net).

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
    • http://pineislandweather.com
my webhost is BAD
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 07:43:28 AM »
I'll echo what everyone else has said and say that web hosting is definitely a "you get what you pay for" arena. I've been using Ipowerweb on my site for about 6 months now and I haven't had any issues. My only experience with tech support was positive.

1and1 is another good choice. I have one site with them and there have been no real issues. Again my only experience with tech support there was positive.

Offline carterlake

• Senior Contributor
    • CarterLake.org
my webhost is BAD
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 08:02:30 AM »
I've been on e-rice.net for about 2 years now.

I'm on the $10 per year plan and am currently using about 1/3 my total bandwidth per month.

If e-rice has a downside, it's that there have been so many abusers over the years that he's gotten pretty strict with certain functions. Good news is that you can just put in a ticket and he'll release it for your site (specific example, PHP using offsite URLs).

Davis VP2 6153; Weather Display (LIVE w/ Ajax); Quickcam for Notebooks Pro; Boltek w/ Nexstorm; GRLevel3; live NOAA Radio

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
my webhost is BAD
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 01:39:46 PM »
I use IX Webhosting. I have had no problems in 16 months of service. No downtime at all. I pay about $55 a year but its worth it. I have a weather website and also a website for my bass club. They guarantee 99% up time and so far they have lived up to their promise. Highly recomend them.
http://www.ixwebhosting.com/index.php/v1/pages.dspmain

Offline anchorageweather

• Forecaster
    • http://eetee.us/station/station.php
my webhost is BAD
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 01:54:32 PM »
Everyone:

Thanks for all the great recommendations.  I wish I had been smart enough to ask this question BEFORE I set up my prior accounts.  O well, I guess the money I sent with my previous hosts will be my "stupid tax" and I'll move on to one of the hosts you'all have listed.

Thanks again! :D
South of the Tracks, Anchorage, KY

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
my webhost is BAD
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 04:34:28 PM »
Quote from: "anchorageweather"
Everyone:

O well, I guess the money I sent with my previous hosts will be my "stupid tax" and I'll move on to one of the hosts you'all have listed.

Thanks again! :D

Think of it as tuition at the School of Internet. ;)

One thing I try to do now when shopping for hosting is to ensure that the company and physical hosting site are on US soil. I think some of the cheepees are off-shore somewhere.