Author Topic: WeeWx via Meteobridge Pro?  (Read 1296 times)

Offline DGP

• The Weather over here
WeeWx via Meteobridge Pro?
« on: October 18, 2022, 03:37:16 AM »
I searched and found no unambiguous instruction on how to connect Weewx to a Meteobridge Pro, which gets its information from a Vantage Pro2 plus.

I have Weewx running on an RPI4 through a connection to my Weather Link Live (with an extra driver for that WLL) but I'd like to try the MB pro on another RPI as a test. Doesn't work for me so far.

Could it be that I need another driver?

Thanks,

Bart

Offline vinceskahan

• Senior Contributor
    • home site
Re: WeeWx via Meteobridge Pro?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 09:33:36 PM »
the weewx-users google group is where you should be searching for all things weewx.  There is over a decade of info and tens of thousands of posts....
WeeWX sites:
  Davis VP2+DFARS to a pi4
  EcoWitt GW1000, WH32 outdoor T+H, multiple WH31 indoor T+H, WH51 soilMoisture (docker)
  Davis AirLink (inside)
  PurpleAir (outside)
Home site:        https://www.skahan.net/
Wunderground: KWAFEDER15
PWS:                KWFEDER15
CWOP:              CW6881

Offline Stormbringer

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2022, 01:52:55 AM »
I searched and found no unambiguous instruction on how to connect Weewx to a Meteobridge Pro, which gets its information from a Vantage Pro2 plus.

I have Weewx running on an RPI4 through a connection to my Weather Link Live (with an extra driver for that WLL) but I'd like to try the MB pro on another RPI as a test. Doesn't work for me so far.

Could it be that I need another driver?

Thanks,

Bart

You will not get an answer here. I posted a question relating to weewx software here a while ago and got similar useless admonishments. I've not been able to work out though, what kind of questions these self-appointed guardians of propriety WILL answer and what is taboo. So I gave up asking - or any posting really. (This is just to warn a fellow off wasting his time with this arrogant lot.)

Offline vinceskahan

• Senior Contributor
    • home site
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2022, 12:06:55 PM »
I'll assume that is directed at me, so I'll reply. Your attack is unwarranted. I'm trying to 'help' by pointing the poster to where they will get a lot more help for something unusual like their question.

The weewx-users google group is where folks should ask most things weewx, particularly complicated ones.   There are almost 4000 weewx users subscribed to that group.  I would expect more success asking there.

The meteobridge forums are at https://forum.meteohub.de/viewforum.php?f=54

Regarding the original question, the original post unfortunately provides zero information anybody can use to help debug their problem.  No error logs.  No info on what they try.  Nothing other than "doesn't work for me".

So I took time out of my limited day to 'volunteer' and point them to forums where they might get more help.  If that's arrogant and self-appointed, so be it.

Have a nice day.
WeeWX sites:
  Davis VP2+DFARS to a pi4
  EcoWitt GW1000, WH32 outdoor T+H, multiple WH31 indoor T+H, WH51 soilMoisture (docker)
  Davis AirLink (inside)
  PurpleAir (outside)
Home site:        https://www.skahan.net/
Wunderground: KWAFEDER15
PWS:                KWFEDER15
CWOP:              CW6881

Offline DGP

• The Weather over here
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2022, 12:50:52 PM »
It might be a good idea to take a closer look first.  if you look closely you'll see that I didn't post the useless comment you responded to.  I did follow your advice this morning and started searching google user groups.  No answer found yet.

Bart

Offline Gyvate

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2022, 03:49:19 PM »
what do you want to do in the first place ?
What exactly do you mean by "connect" ?
Feed weewx with data from Meteobridge ?
Feed Meteobridge (I guess the model NANO, Pro, RPi is not important) with data from weewx ?
Both ways are possible.
So much for the general scenario.
If you share your (planned) use case, suggestions/solutions can be proposed.
But without knowing what exactly you want to do - and what are your intrinsic conditions, expectations etc., not more can reasonably be said.

I conclude from the OP that you may be looking for a VP2 --> MB --> weewx scenario; or is it a VP2 --> weewx --> MB scenario ?
If so, any of the two, would be interesting to know why you want to have either weewx (it's database) or MB as a man-in-the-middle.

MB offers the import of weewx data, and you can also import a properly configured MB export into weewx.
Both cases are described in the documentation/WiKi of both products.

If you give a more detailed description of your use case and maybe also describe your reasoning behind it, the best possible fitting solution could be found.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 03:59:37 PM by Gyvate »
WS2350 1.6.7, GW1000(3) 1.7.7,WH2650 WiFi (2) 1.7.7 (test/backup), GW1100 2.3.1, GW2000(3) 3.1.1, HP2551 1.9.5,5.1.5;HP3500 1.7.2,WS3800 1.2.8, WN1910 1.2.3,WN1980 1.2.3;
Ecowitt WS90(2)1.3.5/1.4.0, WS80(2)1.2.5, WS68, WS69, WH40, WH31, WH31-EP, WN30, WN34L, WN35, WH32, WH32-EP, WH32B, WH57 [Lightning], WH41 [PM2.5], WH51, WH45, WH55
MeteobridgePro(2)[test,prod] 5.8 Mar 01 2024, 15185 - Blake-Larsen Sun Recorder - RPi4/weewx 4.8.0/4.10.2/CumulusMX 3283/Meteobridge RPi4B-2GB(3169)
Barani Meteoshield Pro, MetSpec Rad02 - Ecowitt 5763,34418;WU ISAARB3(WH4000SE),ISAARB22(HP2553), http://meshka.eu

Offline DGP

• The Weather over here
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2022, 03:15:59 AM »
On my website, WeeWX is fed by a WLL. So my Davis VP2 forwards its information to the WLL, which forwards it to WeeWX. I use an RPI4 and it works fine.
I've set up a test site to try out some skins/graphs/DB conversions etc. I really want to start at the beginning and test if and how the performance goes if I fed/connect the test WeeWX site with an MB-pro.

This probably didn't work for me right away because I made a copy of my SD card and put it in another RPI. That copy, of course, contains the current settings which also includes the WLL.
I asked the question because I got all kinds of errors, after I changed the IP from the WLL to the IP of the MB pro. I started to wonder if it could work at all and I didn't want to mess everything up if it's impossible. This came from thinking about whether what I was doing made sense. The WLL solution also works great for testing and trying things out.

As for man in the middle... well there's always a man in the middle whether it's the WLL or an MB (or a web interface) as long as WeeWX doesn't have a radio antenna and can receive the radio signal directly from Davis VP2. In fact, it's all about passing on information and not the underlying databases. That is why I think there is also confusion when it comes to using the terms connecting and feeding. Especially if you think in German or Dutch.

So I just asked the question: can I power WeeWX by connecting it to an MB pro with WeeWX.
And if possible (and you say it is) how should that be done via IP, then I think I have to turn off that WLL connection somewhere in WeeWX I think.

Thanks for thinking along,

Bart

Offline Gyvate

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2022, 05:36:04 AM »
if you want to feed weewx from Meteobridge (in my understanding), you will have to make a regular export of the MB data (create an export template, preferably in a format easily to be imported into weewx; run it via Services, Events;) and have it regularly imported into weewx (wee_import, with a properly configured CSV import configuration file). While the export interval at the MB side will be handled internally (Services/Events), at the weewx end you may need to run wee_import via a cron job on your RPi.

If you have a minute based archiving set up in MB (and also want to have one minute based data in weewx), your MB export and your weewx import should/could run every minute (independent of the weewx archive interval). You can of course choose longer intervals (5 minutes, 10 minutes, 15 minutes - provided minute based archiving is activated at the MB end). What method of accumulation (min, max, avg) you use is your choice and will have to be translated into the definition of the MB export template. At the weewx end only the cron job start will need to be adapted once the import definition/configuration file is properly created.

The communication will run over the local network.
In my knowledge there is no other (direct) communication between weewx and Meteobridge.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 05:38:55 AM by Gyvate »
WS2350 1.6.7, GW1000(3) 1.7.7,WH2650 WiFi (2) 1.7.7 (test/backup), GW1100 2.3.1, GW2000(3) 3.1.1, HP2551 1.9.5,5.1.5;HP3500 1.7.2,WS3800 1.2.8, WN1910 1.2.3,WN1980 1.2.3;
Ecowitt WS90(2)1.3.5/1.4.0, WS80(2)1.2.5, WS68, WS69, WH40, WH31, WH31-EP, WN30, WN34L, WN35, WH32, WH32-EP, WH32B, WH57 [Lightning], WH41 [PM2.5], WH51, WH45, WH55
MeteobridgePro(2)[test,prod] 5.8 Mar 01 2024, 15185 - Blake-Larsen Sun Recorder - RPi4/weewx 4.8.0/4.10.2/CumulusMX 3283/Meteobridge RPi4B-2GB(3169)
Barani Meteoshield Pro, MetSpec Rad02 - Ecowitt 5763,34418;WU ISAARB3(WH4000SE),ISAARB22(HP2553), http://meshka.eu