Author Topic: heater element on WS-5000-Array (WS80)  (Read 1662 times)

Offline funsutton

• Contributor
    • Weather Underground
heater element on WS-5000-Array (WS80)
« on: June 03, 2020, 12:43:48 PM »
I've been considering an upgrade to my WS-2000 and have been looking at AW's version of the WS80, but the Ambient website says the optional heater won't be available until the end of 2020. Considering how necessary it is in the winter,  I decided to ask Ambient about it today to find out if I should wait to purchase it. Turns out it's harder than I thought to get a direct answer out of their support team.

I initially emailed asking if I order the WS-5000-ARRAY (WS80) now, when the optional heater comes out will I be able to get it and add it to the device? And will there be any cost involved in obtaining the optional heater when it comes out?

The response I got from the support team is that "the heater is built into the unit and will not be sold separately."

I responded asking "On the website it says the optional heater unit won’t be available until Q4 2020. Are you saying it’s available now on the unit? My point is I don’t want to buy it without the heater unit and if I need to wait until Q4 2020, I can do that."

I got another one sentence reply: "Q4 2020 is the end of the year."

Still left with the same question, I asked again "Can you confirm it already has the heating element built in?"

The support team finally confirmed "It does not have the heating element as it is still being tested."

So if I'm reading this correctly, I guess this means if I buy the unit now it won't have the heating unit (I won't be able to add it later) and will be prone to not function properly when ice forms on the array? Does anyone else have any insight into this?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 02:18:17 PM by funsutton »

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
Re: heater element on WS-5000-Array (WS80)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 02:17:10 PM »
I've been considering an upgrade to my WS-2000 and have been looking at AW's version of the WS80, but the Ambient website says the optional heater won't be available until the end of 2020. Considering how necessary it is in the winter,  I decided to ask Ambient about it today to find out if I should wait to purchase it. Turns out it's harder than I thought to get a direct answer out of their support team.

I initially emailed asking if I order the WS-5000-ARRAY (WS80) now, when the optional heater comes out will I be able to get it and add it to the device? And will there be any cost involved in obtaining the optional heater when it comes out?

The response I got from the support team is that "the heater is built into the unit and will not be sold separately."

I responded asking "On the website it says the optional heater unit won’t be available until Q4 2020. Are you saying it’s available now on the unit? My point is I don’t want to buy it without the heater unit and if I need to wait until Q4 2020, I can do that."

I got another once sentence reply: "Q4 2020 is the end of the year."

Still left with the same question, I asked again "Can you confirm it already has the heating element built in?"

The support team finally confirmed "It does not have the heating element as it is still being tested."

So if I'm reading this correctly, I guess this means if I buy the unit now it won't have the heating unit (I won't be able to add it later) and will be prone to not function properly when ice forms on the array? Does anyone else have any insight into this?

Wow that is really poor support by Ambient!

Regards

Offline ambientweather

• Contributor
    • Ambient Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 06:17:31 PM »

I got another once sentence reply: "Q4 2020 is the end of the year."

Wow that is really poor support by Ambient!

Regards
Please email me directly. eedelman@ambientweather.com and I will assist you with some answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 06:42:31 PM »
Ambient still has some new support staff in training it seems. I know that it is their goal to provide the best support. The issue though is that for years Ed grew the business and he was also the support for the company. Ed knows his stuff and he worked very hard providing incredible support. But now that the company is growing and they have been acquired by Nielsen-Kellerman, it doesn't surprise me that there are some new faces in customer service. It takes years to acquire the knowledge that Ed has. There is always a difference between a person that has a vested interest in the company versus a paid employee. I'm not saying that you can't have great customer service with paid employees, it is just that it takes time to transition and get those new processes going.

As you can see Ed still makes his rounds and that is a great sign. He is just not on the front lines it seems but he definitely is incredibly available. You don't see that with too many CEO types after a company has been acquired.

This is just my view....I have no insider information other than what I experienced myself recently in dealing with Ambient and from reading everyone else's comments on the forums.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 06:48:15 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline funsutton

• Contributor
    • Weather Underground
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 07:01:17 PM »

Please email me directly. eedelman@ambientweather.com and I will assist you with some answers.

Thanks Ed. I've sent an email your way.

As you can see Ed still makes his rounds and that is a great sign. He is just not on the front lines it seems but he definitely is incredibly available.

I agree galfert, it is good to see.

My goal wasn't to name names so I chose not to. I just want the info so I know exactly how to proceed. I'm sure Ed will take care of me. Thanks.

Offline funsutton

• Contributor
    • Weather Underground
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 10:31:57 PM »
Just to follow up on this for those interested, it turns out the heater option is simply a thermostat / AC adapter made for use outside, which I can buy later this year when it comes out and then plug into my WS-5000 Array to make sure it doesn't ice up.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

It was always meant to be an add-on option, as some people in hotter climates simply don't need it.

So that settles it. I can buy now and heat later. Thanks Ed for the info.

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 04:52:48 AM »
Indeed just to further clarify this point, that the AmbientWeather WS5000 or Ecowitt WS80 that ship now should include the heater plate integral to the unit with a connector cable.
You will just need to add the power supply if you want to use it.
I went through the last winter without issue (my early version does not have the heater enabled)
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline W1SAB

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020, 09:38:05 AM »
Are there any differences between the Ambient WS-5000 Array and the Ecowitt WS80? I was under the impression that there are slight differences but the more I read it seems they are the same exact unit.
GW1000
WH32
WH51
GW1002
Amature Radio Opperator
Member Of SKYWARN

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2020, 09:47:37 AM »
Are there any differences between the Ambient WS-5000 Array and the Ecowitt WS80? I was under the impression that there are slight differences but the more I read it seems they are the same exact unit.

The Ecowitt WS80 can be configured with any frequency 433, 868, and 915. Ecowitt will ship worldwide, except they will not ship the WS80 to the US. They will ship every other part to the US. Ambient has exclusive to the WS80 in the US. Even if you manage to get your hands on an Ecowitt WS80 with 915 MHz it would not work with an Ambient console because all Ambient consoles run custom firmware that only allow their own sensors to work. These are the same parts we are talking about. It is just that Ambient has a special arrangement with Fine Offset. But the other way around...meaning an Ambient sensor with an Ecowitt console is a totally workable solution...as long as it is a matching 915 MHz Ecowitt console because all of Ambient's stuff is 915 MHz. This means that if a person in the US wanted to have a GW1003...then they can order a GW1002 and then get the WS80 from Ambient as a spare part...but it isn't available yet as a spare part. But then this person would have an extra spinning anemometer....a bit of an extra cost...but it is doable.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 09:49:43 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline W1SAB

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2020, 10:01:48 AM »
Thank you! I just received my GW1002 in the mail today! :-P I already had a GW1000 running with a WH31 in my greenhouse. My idea is to add a WS80 to my current setup and run the GW1002 as a second. I am rather interested in seeing the differences between the two. I don't plan on getting one right off but wanted to know if there is any benefit to owning one over the other.
GW1000
WH32
WH51
GW1002
Amature Radio Opperator
Member Of SKYWARN

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2020, 10:08:21 AM »
Well they have different specifications. I think that there are pros and cons of each model. The WS80 has better precision. But the WS68 has higher max wind capability. The WS80 needs a heater to produce accurate temperatures in freezing temperatures. I can see the WS80 being a potentially bird perch problem as compared to the WS68. The WS80 updates more frequently. Pick your poison.
Tele-Pole

Offline W1SAB

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2020, 10:24:56 AM »
Well they have different specifications. I think that there are pros and cons of each model. The WS80 has better precision. But the WS68 has higher max wind capability. The WS80 needs a heater to produce accurate temperatures in freezing temperatures. I can see the WS80 being a potentially bird perch problem as compared to the WS68. The WS80 updates more frequently. Pick your poison.
[/size][/size]

I understand there is a difference between the WS80 and the WS68. I was wondering what the difference if any is between the Ambient WS5000 array vs the Ecowitt WS80. I will be installing my WS68 shortly but am thinking of adding the WS80/WS5000 down the road.
GW1000
WH32
WH51
GW1002
Amature Radio Opperator
Member Of SKYWARN

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2020, 10:32:06 AM »
I already answered that question. There is no significant difference, except for the fact that you will not be able to buy the Ecowitt WS80 if you are in the US. And even if you could get the Ecowitt WS80 into the US it would not work with an Ambient branded console even if you matched the frequency.

They technically are the same part. The difference is not in the sensor itself, the difference is in the console that you pair it with...as the Ambient console will not allow you to use the Ecowitt branded version. If you have an Ecowitt GW1000 then you can use either one, yes you can use the Ambient branded one. This is because Ambient limits their consoles to only work with their branded sensors. Ambient has a way to identify their sensors in the signal that they send. The Ecowitt consoles are not picky and they see an Ambient sensor exactly the same as an Ecowitt sensor....same as a Froggit sensor....etc. This is because the Ecowitt console runs the same firmware as every other reseller. Only Ambient consoles have custom firmware that limits what sensors your can pair.

So back to the WS80 vs the Ambient version WS5000-ARRAY....if you have a GW1000 then you will see no difference. If you have an Ambient WS-2000 display console ...then you can only use the Ambient version.
Tele-Pole

Offline Jai Soone

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2020, 01:38:49 PM »
FYI, "Ambient Weather WS-5000-ARRAY Replacement Ultrasonic Anemometer, Outdoor Thermometer / Hygrometer, Solar Radiation and UV for WS-5000, WS-2902A, WS-2902B WS-2000 Weather Stations" "Item #: WS-5000-ARRAY" priced at "$144.99" is "OUT OF STOCK - Email me when back in-stock:". In the "Product Description" of this item is the notation: "Printed on the part as WH80BN."

Offline W1SAB

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2020, 02:12:05 PM »
Jai Soone, Thanks for the info! I will not be needing it right off as I just received my GW1002 today and will be messing around with it for a bit. I suppose it couldn't hurt to get on a list to know when it is back in stock though  [tup]
GW1000
WH32
WH51
GW1002
Amature Radio Opperator
Member Of SKYWARN