Author Topic: WS-2080 temperature accuracy  (Read 11866 times)

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: WS-2080 temperature accuracy
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2012, 06:17:22 AM »
Normally the bowl/plate spacing needs to be close to avoid the sensor from being able to "see" downwards at reflected radiation.  If you mount the sensor all the way on the bottom and its' top is still inside the top bowl then the shield is too short for that sensor. In this case the best thing would be additional plates. The key thing is it is out of any trapped air at the top so the only air surrounding it is ambient air from outside (plus possibly any additional warmth from the sun on the bottom plates as the air is drawn in across them).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 06:40:27 AM by DanS »

Offline raedh

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2012, 11:58:19 PM »
yesterday I got a stevenson shield

and put the sensor with original shield into it

and the readings no difference with SRS100LX , but today at 5:45 AM where minimum temperature is expected the station was showing 24.3 degree and the two manual thermometers show 23 degree
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 10:46:50 AM by raedh »

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2012, 02:11:00 AM »
Since you're already up and about at those hours why not take the thermo/hygro sensor and place it right up next to the two manual thermometers with no shields or anything. Just the three sitting right next to each other, out in the open, to read the night's low temps together. If it still reads a little higher then at least you'll know that it isn't the shields and narrows it down to either that sensor reads slightly higher or your two manual thermometer glass tubes are sitting just a tad low in their mountings.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 04:07:09 AM by DanS »

Offline raedh

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2012, 06:41:04 PM »
 I can say now the problem solved replacing the original shield with srslx100 and put inside the Stevenson box taking into mind losing the bottom two plates so make the sensor in bottom line as suggested earlier made all day and night readings very reasonable and and also with calibration of -0.8 so exactly matched the liquid thermometer in peek of today and in the night . Thanks DanS for your support and continous advice
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 06:45:54 PM by raedh »

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2012, 08:03:37 PM »
Glad to hear that you're getting the readings closer to each other. They all may be reading together now but slightly higher than they should be because I see in your photo that you have the shield located over a tile floor. Big radiator below them. Even if the sun never hits the tiles they absorb the warmer daytime temps and slowly release those temps throughout the cooler nights. You temp readings will lag behind the actual outside temps while it's mounted there. No radiation shield of any type, fan aspirated or not, will make that surrounding warmer air cooler.
I run 2 stations that are located, one per NWS/CWOP (as close as I can) guidelines - in open grassy area), and one installed per manufacturers suggested guidelines (under the eave of a house on the north-side). The diagrams show, first, I calibrated the old ws-2310 (D2642) to read the same temps as the newer ws-2810 (D4009) while they are side-by-side in the open grassy location. Whether they are right or wrong they read the same. The 3rd reading, VTCC, is used for reference and is the int'l airport across the street. The second diagram shows what happened when I moved the 2310 (D2642) back to it's installed location next to the house. This plot was on an overcast day too. You can see the lag while the day is ending and ambient temperatures are cooling. The 2310 reads the house cooling slower and in your case the tiles below.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 10:16:32 PM by DanS »

Offline raedh

« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2012, 08:20:30 PM »
You,re totally right actually sun all day the tiles so reading slightly higher than real ambient but I have no choices because live in rooftop and hopefully I can make a solution of this

Offline raedh

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2012, 02:52:27 AM »
I read if a post in cumulus forum http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5430 , what he ran the NIST traceable thermometer and used following settings (I converted to celsius)
temperature multiplier:0.88 and
temperature offset : 2.2,

but I noticed that when temperature drop below 15 degree this calibration raising the temperature

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2012, 03:42:38 AM »
That sounds like an issue with Cumulus and maybe the Sandysoft/Cumulus forum can provide some help.