Author Topic: Fitting transmitter to tripod leg  (Read 584 times)

Offline Whizzwoz

Fitting transmitter to tripod leg
« on: November 25, 2022, 06:55:08 PM »
Can you fit transmitter to the davis tripod leg?Would this be inviting rain into the unit through the gromets because the unit would be at an angle.
What do you guys think?This is a leafwetness/soil transmitter.
Cheers Warren.
DW6756

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Fitting transmitter to tripod leg
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 05:14:44 AM »
Should be fine. The tripod legs aren't steeply raked and I'm assuming that you would still have the 6345 the right way up and solar panel towards the sun (of course!).

If you get get a hint of any moisture ingress then you can always add a bit of flexible sealant around the cable entries through the grommets.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 10:53:21 AM »
Dare I ask why is the transmitter being fit on the tripod leg?  Do you have any space on the mast?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2022, 11:44:02 AM »
Dare I ask why is the transmitter being fit on the tripod leg?  Do you have any space on the mast?

Remember this is a 6345 transmitter, so it would give a bit more cable length for exactly where the sensors are inserted in the soil. But obviously it won't allow as much transmission range. So, as always with these things it's a trade-off. Presumably in this case the OP prefers the tripod leg.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2022, 05:14:35 PM »
I have had soil transmitters for years.  What I did was sink a pipe near where I wanted to plant 4 sensors.  Fastened the transmitter to that and it worked for me . I am sending you a picture I did a while back . You can see the transmitter on the pipe, I also had a second transmitter. Each of the pvc pipes has a pair, one sensor and one temperature probe at 4,12,24,36 in.   I think this would work better than slanting the transmitter and you will be glad you asked.

Offline Whizzwoz

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2022, 08:48:47 PM »
Thanks for the photo!I think I will plant a pole into the ground when I can get out there we have had so much rain my back garden is a swamp!I shall send so photos when I am finished.
Cheers Warren.
DW6756