Author Topic: Atlas WiFi Display Design Problem (IMO)  (Read 1752 times)

Offline wags1

Atlas WiFi Display Design Problem (IMO)
« on: November 04, 2022, 10:13:08 AM »
I have been struggling for some time now with what seemed to be disconnects of my Atlas WiFi display from my network. I would get the red "X" below the WiFi icon on the Atlas display and data would stop being reported to both MyAcurite as well as WU. AcuRite support had me jump thru all the usual hoops and even replaced both my Atlas sensor as well as the WiFi display under warranty. None of it resolved the issue.

When the problem would occur I could see in my router log that the WiFi display was disconnecting and reconnecting from my router approximately every 10 seconds (that time frame was an important clue). One of the features of the Atlas WiFi display is "rapid fire" updates of weather data that occur every 10 seconds. I figured that could not be a coincidence and after thinking about it a bit I decided to try an experiment. This morning after the WiFi connection had been solid for an hour or 2 and I had no disconnects/reconnects from the WiFi display in my router log I unplugged my cable modem but left my router connected. Roughly 10 seconds or so after unplugging my cable modem (effectively disconnecting the internet) the constant disconnects/reconnects at 10 second intervals began again. They stopped shortly after plugging my cable modem back in (effectively reconnecting the internet).

The net is that when the Atlas Wifi display can't reach the Acurite server(s) that it uses to send the weather data, instead of continuing to try and maybe report an error it starts to disconnect and reconnect over and over again from the router. Not only is that very poor design, IMO, but worse than that is the fact that apparently the Acurite support folks aren't aware of that fact and blame the problem on something in the customers network or, even worse for them as in my case, replace their own equipment to resolve a problem that is due to the way their product works. No other WiFi connected device that I own, or have owned, works that way.

I sure hope Acurite can figure out a way to fix this problem with a FW update. At the very least they need to make sure that their support personal understand this issue for what it is.

Offline wags1

Re: Atlas WiFi Display Design Problem (IMO)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2022, 07:57:39 PM »
Just a final update. I went back to using my AcuRite Access that I saved from when I was using my Iris sensor. It works perfectly with none of the issues that the WiFi displays have and is sending weather data to MyAcurite and WU 24x7 without any glitches whatsoever. AcuRite sent me 2 replacement WiFi displays, the last of which they said they “tested” before they sent it to me. They all had exactly the same issue as described in my OP. I’m still using 2 of them in different locations in my house as they work fine and have a stable WiFi connection as long as you don’t try to use them to send weather data to MyAcurite and/or WU. It’s unfortunate but AcuRite really needs to solve the issue with the WiFi display.

Offline AlanD96

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 05:19:26 PM »
wags1 -
It's not just the wi-fi displays which disconnect, every single one of my old model Atlas displays exhibit the same behavior.  Full bars, then the bars slowly disappear for anywhere from 30 seconds to an hour.  And at the same time my 'Access' which is feeding Weather Underground never loses its connection.

You actually did me a favor.  I was going to purchase one of the new display models, figuring that by now they must have figured out this problem
Apparently not. 

Offline wags1

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 05:31:41 PM »
AlanD96 -
The sad part is AcuRite had me chasing my tail for over a month insisting that the problem was my network, the distance to my sensor, etc.. The only good thing to come out of it is that they sent me a brand new Atlas sensor and 2 new Wifi displays. They still insist that their equipment is just fine…🤣

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2022, 07:43:41 PM »
I think someone figured out why the signal comes and goes. The main board in the Atlas reboots every so often. Don't know why. Someone in another thread recommended disconnecting the fan.

Offline AlanD96

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2022, 07:51:37 PM »
Doctor - That can't be what's causing it.   As I said, my Acurite Access located right next to the display gets a continuing solid signal while the signal strength bars on my display drop to zero.  I've moved the display all around the room and it's the same.  Sometimes full bars, 10 seconds later ZIP, while the Access is happily sending data to Weather Underground.

Offline wags1

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2022, 08:11:58 PM »
I think someone figured out why the signal comes and goes. The main board in the Atlas reboots every so often. Don't know why. Someone in another thread recommended disconnecting the fan.
That doesn’t match my experience either. Ever since I switched back to using my old Access, using the exact same Atlas sensor, it as been rock solid and reporting weather data every 10 seconds 24x7 without any dropouts. Not only that but even when I was using the Wifi display sometimes it would be fine for hours, sometimes up to 10 plus hours reporting weather data every 10 seconds. Then it would drop and have issues for sometimes hours before starting to consistently report again. And it was exactly the same issue with 3 different wifi displays, even one they said they “tested” before they sent me.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 08:33:37 AM by wags1 »

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2022, 08:30:16 AM »
I have an atlas that will only work with displays, access will not work at night. Then I have one that does the drop outs on the display, but works fine like Alan on the Access, so I dunno... It's so strange.

Offline wags1

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2022, 08:43:48 AM »
I have an atlas that will only work with displays, access will not work at night. Then I have one that does the drop outs on the display, but works fine like Alan on the Access, so I dunno... It's so strange.
That is strange for sure. I have my current Atlas sensor working with 2 WiFi displays (connected to my WiFi but not connected to or sending weather data to MyAcurite or WU) and my Access (sending weather data to MyAcurite and WU) and it all works fine. Oddly enough as long as the WiFi displays are just connected to my WiFi (for forecast data) but not connected to or sending weather data to MyAcurite or WU they work perfectly fine with no repeated disconnects from my WiFi at all. Again all of this leads me to conclude that AcuRite has some sort of design flaw in their WiFi display but as usual the complete lack of transparency by AcuRite prevents a clear picture of what is really going on. I asked them numerous times to allow me to directly connect with their actual technical folks, rather than a customer support person, to work with them to help identify the issue and they just ignored the requests.

anything