Author Topic: Tempest vs Vue  (Read 3429 times)

Offline txagwx

• Meteorologist
Tempest vs Vue
« on: August 07, 2022, 10:30:34 AM »
I have both a Tempest, Vue, and a Cocorah.

The tempest overestimates rainfall.  Yesterday, Vue .04", Cocorah .05", Tempest .14".  The rainfall algorithm is still decent though.

The tempest also underestimates gusts vs the Davis, sometimes by a significant margin.

The radiation shield on the tempest is by the far the best I have seen, especially with the small size.  Wonder if they use a combination of solar and wind to correct?

Anyway, my two cents.

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
Re: Tempest vs Vue
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 11:28:10 PM »
Totally agree especially regarding the wind gusts. Had a wind of 51 mph during a thunderstorm on my Davis Vantage Vue and the Tempest peaked at 32 mph. NOT ACCEPTABLE! Sold it the following day.

Offline BaseLine

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 04:04:06 AM »
Totally agree especially regarding the wind gusts. Had a wind of 51 mph during a thunderstorm on my Davis Vantage Vue and the Tempest peaked at 32 mph. NOT ACCEPTABLE! Sold it the following day.

How do you know your particular Davis unit is accurate? They both could be off.
Sun cooked nothingburger of climate change hysteria with a side order of peak-oil nonsense fries.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2022, 05:16:57 AM »

The difference between 51 mph and 32 mph is fairly obvious. Would not be difficult in determining which one was rubbish

Offline txagwx

• Meteorologist
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2022, 06:34:44 PM »
I just added a 20% correction factor to the gust, and it works.

The other problem I am having with the Tempest is the battery is already going low on me, 2.5 volts, was 2.8 volts earlier this summer.

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2022, 07:56:27 AM »

I have FOUR anemometers on the roof, they were with-in a couple mph of each other, EXCEPT the Tempest. And, the Davis had a complete factory refurb with-in the past year.

Offline txagwx

• Meteorologist
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2022, 08:38:06 PM »
If Tempest would add 20-30% to their gusts it would be fine, imo.

My tempest battery drain has gotten worse, but they are sending me a new one.

Offline BaseLine

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2022, 09:29:52 AM »

I have FOUR anemometers on the roof, they were with-in a couple mph of each other, EXCEPT the Tempest. And, the Davis had a complete factory refurb with-in the past year.

4? Why? I am new to all this, so it makes 0 sense to me. 
BTW, I was looking at getting a Tempest but because it's US only, I did not buy it. Good for me.
Sun cooked nothingburger of climate change hysteria with a side order of peak-oil nonsense fries.

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2022, 06:29:46 PM »

4? Why? I am new to all this, so it makes 0 sense to me. 
BTW, I was looking at getting a Tempest but because it's US only, I did not buy it. Good for me.

Four... Because I like digital and analog anemometers and because it's a hobby, like collecting stamps, guns, butterflies, etc. The digital usually do not record peak winds during power outages, the analog do.

Offline Chiky33

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2023, 07:31:36 AM »
I just added a 20% correction factor to the gust, and it works.

The other problem I am having with the Tempest is the battery is already going low on me, 2.5 volts, was 2.8 volts earlier this summer.

Hi,

How can you add the 20% for the wind in the Tempest configuration?

Thank you so much

Offline cpufrost

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2023, 10:33:23 PM »
You cannot calibrate anything on the user side of TEMPEST units.

I agree, their wind readings are whack!

I did wind tunnel test mine at 10 mph and it was spot on next to a RM Young (aerovane).

I suspect its biggest issue is turbulence / eddies, et al.  Not factoring rain either.  When the instrument is well soaked after a long day of steady rain it will often show a constant 10mph breeze when in fact the wind is dead calm and it's < 100 feet visibility with fog!  I've also had it showing 50mph+ gusts during showers with a breeze of no more than 10 mph tops.  That is unacceptable.

anything