Author Topic: How to download filtered data from WeatherLink.com?  (Read 690 times)

Offline LRAT

How to download filtered data from WeatherLink.com?
« on: July 06, 2022, 01:21:19 AM »
Hi,
The header of this topic doesn't really address my real question:

I would like to receive a daily email from WeatherLink.com showing me the following data:
Date, Times of Max and min values of temp, humidity, pressure, max wind (Including wind run)and also the total amount of solar radiation and max solar energy for that day.
Is this possible?

The only option, as it seems, is to download everything which will require manual scrutinizing the data.
I am not interested to see every possible value of every possible time of the year. I am just after a comprehensive summary of the day.

Can this be done? If yes, how do you this?

By the way, I also got Weather Display software but this seems to be even harder to set up automated reports.
I have a Davis Vantage 2 Pro Plus with aspirated shield and UV/Solar sensors, data is transmitted by a Weather Link Live device. I've got a pro-subscription on WeatherlInk.com.

Weatherlink.com shows the mins and maxes for the day but no timestamp when hovering the mouse over one of the Bulletin tabs. Surely there must be an easier way to analyze the data.
Davis Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus with 24-Hr fan with aspirated radiation shield (6163AU)
Davis Wireless leaf & soil Moist/Temp station (6345AU with 6470 temp sensor)
Ocean Controls FFS-002 anemometer

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: How to download filtered data from WeatherLink.com?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 03:42:39 AM »
The real time WeatherLink.com Bulletin URL link provides much of that info (including times) apart from Wind run as a real time summary anytime of the day. See the Share & Uploads tab (Embed and Summary) on the main WeatherLink.com dashboard

WeatherLink.com Notification is able to email the Daily Summary format with this option under the Spanner symbol 

Offline LRAT

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 07:03:36 PM »
Hi Mattk, that is great info. However, I can only see the data of the current day!
That means, if I want to record the max and min values of the day I will need to sit there till 23:59 before I can copy it.
The system doesn't allow me to see a summary, of say, the day before!
There are no historical stats available. I thought, by paying for the pro-version, I would see the stored data of the previous days, months, years...
Davis Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus with 24-Hr fan with aspirated radiation shield (6163AU)

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 08:01:42 PM »
Hi,
That means, if I want to record the max and min values of the day I will need to sit there till 23:59 before I can copy it.
In addition to the 4 Embed formats and Summary page, the Notifications setting will send an email at your specified time with the WLL, ISS and AirLink data, including some daily highs and lows and their times.  I use 12:00 am.
It works for both my Basic free account and my paid subscription Pro Account.

There are no historical stats available. I thought, by paying for the pro-version, I would see the stored data of the previous days, months, years...
With the Pro subscription you can view all or any historical data or charts on weatherlink.com site.  You can select which data and what time period you want to view - see attached screen capture.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 06:21:10 AM »
In addition to what Paul said, then provided you have a Pro sub you will also see a Monthly Summary table on the data tab. This is similar to the NOAA report in the old Weatherlink for Windows, but with more info and more elegantly styled. This report is non-configurable (unlike what our Prowlar software offers) but serves the monthly summary purpose for many users.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 11:11:28 AM »
Good reminder John,

This report is non-configurable

Correct, only thing you can select is the month/year and printable by month, or current month to date. 
Unfortunate for me is that the display is fixed in Imperial/In-Hg units even though my settings in both WL.com and App are Metric/hPa.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2022, 01:59:26 PM »

Unfortunate for me is that the display is fixed in Imperial/In-Hg units even though my settings in both WL.com and App are Metric/hPa.

Not sure why that should be. Here's mine for July (so far) in the UK

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2022, 04:12:49 PM »
Hi John,
As you can see on my previous attachment it was in Imperial when I opened it and there was no settings I could find to change to metric.  So I was preparing an email to Davis support and in relooking at the Monthly Summary now, it is all in metric [tup]   Maybe they read this forum post :) , or you raised a ticket :lol:

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2022, 04:28:54 PM »
Well, I'd like  to claim responsibility, but no it wasn't me, and I doubt that Bruce et all in Support have time to look in here. So I suspect magic is a more likely explanation  8-)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 04:49:17 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline LRAT

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2022, 10:48:53 PM »
Thank you all for your input and contributions.
However, my question stays unanswered.
Just to recap:
I want to receive a daily email that is send at 09:00 AM and showing all the min and max values of the previous day (Midnight to midnight) and also showing the time it happened.

Temp
Max of xx.x C happened at xx:xx, Min of xx.x C happened at xx:xx
Wind
Max of xxx kph happened at xx:xx, wind run for the 24 hour period is xxx.x km
Rainfall
Total amount of xx.x mm for the day, total for the month/Year so far: xx.x mm/ xx.x mm
Etc...

I understand that I can sift through the data tables manually but to do this for hundreds of records on a daily base is completely impractical.
Am I asking too much?
If yes, what are the alternatives.
I have been collecting weather data at our place for the last 7 years and everything is stored in an Excel spreadsheet. My old weather-station was homemade and Arduino-based. It has served me well for all that time. I upgraded to the Davis station as we are planning to go on an overseas trip for a long period of time ans I would like to have my daily weather-stats automated.
Cheers,

Luke

Offline LRAT

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2022, 11:57:45 PM »
WheatonRon,

I could also ask a similar question: What's the point of collecting data if it can't be analyzed?

I've got VBA-code in my spreadsheet which analyzes the data automatically. At the end of the month it creates an automated report which is then mailed out to our local community.
People are interested if there were any records broken during the month, how much rain fell, etc. They also want to see when events happened.
I am sure it would be pretty appalling if I sent a report containing thousands of lines of data and then tell the end-user to analyze it themselves.

To be honest, I expected more from Weatherlink.com. It seems like a waste of money for not much in return.
The only thing it can be used for is to look at current data, nothing else (Unless you want to spend hours of your time going through each one-minute data).

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2022, 12:20:53 AM »
So why at 9am every day being a summary for yesterday. What's wrong with an email at midnight being a daily summary for the day just gone. Both emails would be the same? What won't be available is Wind Run which is something specific

And yes this query was answered I believe? Login into WeatherLink.com, on your station page click the [spanner], top RHS click [notifications], click on [Daily Summary], Enter email to add user, set the time required (without confirmation I believe 00:00 will summarize the day just done?), click +

On this page you can send a summary email (since midnight) at any time you like, @9am it will only be for the 9 hour period since midnight, say @3pm it will be for the previous 15 hours since midnight, at midnight it should be for the previous 24 hours (effectively yesterday)

Something like a Metobridge MBPro will do what you require but is additional hardware.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2022, 12:26:24 AM »
Example of the summary data (email is better formatted than this) which was just triggered via an email, this is the summary details since midnight local time. Only item you won't get is Wind Run

Weather Station
Temp   21.8 °C
High Temp   21.9 °C at 13:03
Low Temp   10.1 °C at 06:41
Hum   47.0 %
Heat Index   21.7 °C
Wind Chill   21.7 °C
Dew Point   10.0 °C
Barometer   1012.8 hPa
Wind Speed   3.2 km/h
Wind Direction   SW
High Wind Speed   17.7 km/h at 10:06
10 Min Avg Wind   3.2 km/h
Rain Rate   0.0 mm/h
Day Rain   0.2 mm
Month Rain   130.6 mm
Year Rain   607.4 mm

Offline LRAT

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2022, 01:09:30 AM »
Hi MattK

Thanks for reconfirming. I don't really care when the message will be sent. Whehter it is one minute after midnight or at 09:00 AM. It doesn't matter. As long as it shows the mins and max of the day before with time stamp.

Yes,
I can also retrieve the data as per your example:

Weather Station
Temp   21.8 °CWhat time of day was this and what date?
High Temp   21.9 °C at 13:03 Yes, that's great
Low Temp   10.1 °C at 06:41 Yes, that's great too
Hum   47.0 % What time and date
Heat Index   21.7 °C What time and date, what's the min and max?
Wind Chill   21.7 °C What time and date, what's the min and max?
Dew Point   10.0 °C What time and date, what's the min and max?
Barometer   1012.8 hPa What time and date, what's the min and max?
Wind Speed   3.2 km/h What time and date, what's the min and max?
Wind Direction   SW What time and date, what's the min and max?
High Wind Speed   17.7 km/h at 10:06 Yes, that's great too but no wind direction
10 Min Avg Wind   3.2 km/h What time and date, what's the min and max?
Rain Rate   0.0 mm/h
Day Rain   0.2 mm What time and date, what's the min and max?
Month Rain   130.6 mm
Year Rain   607.4 mm

In all this data it doesn't show anything about solar radiation, max UV index, max wattage per square meter, no soil temperatures, no wind run, etc...
Mentioning a value without a time stamp doesn't mean a thing. Who really cares if it throws a number like 21.8 °C without further information.
This is what really annoys me. The software has all the bells and whistles to show the life data but no customizable summary of the previous day.

I think I will need to find a system where I can retrieve the raw one minute data from the ISS and then develop my own software.

As you probably can read between the lines: I am very frustrated with the limitations of the software after spending more then AUS$3,000.00!

My home made Arduino station cost me a fraction of the total cost and has been reliable for over seven years. The only thing it lacks is the wireless communication. I have an SD-card attached in which all the min/max values are recorded of the previous day. I should have invetsed in a Wifi=module instead of the Davis system.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2022, 02:11:54 AM »
I don't really see any point in spending time covering those queries but obviously those without a time are current at the time of the summary, date is today of course, it's a daily summary. Day rain is daily rain, like how can it have a min and max, it either zero(0) or daily rainfall. Similar with wind direction, no such thing as a min or max?

if you are serious with wanting some of those values and such then it's simple, use something like a Meteobridge Pro (connects to almost anything including Davis) where you can customize whatever reports you like for whenever you like and email, it, upload it, do whatever you really want to do with it. The hardware comes of the shelf, the customization doesn't. 

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2022, 05:29:34 AM »
Something like this is what you're after I suspect:

(This is data sourced from weatherlink.com via the v2 API and the fields are, in principle, configurable.)

« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 04:54:07 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline LRAT

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2022, 08:11:36 PM »
Hi JohnD, yes, that would be a step in the right direction.
Could you please explain in steps how you got this summary?
Cheers,

Luke

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2022, 04:25:25 AM »
Well, I don't know how much detail I can usefully provide, but here are a couple of brief comments.

This feature is part of our Prowlar software, which is in development currently and primarily aimed at generating reports for agricultural users. TBH the daily report is a relatively low priority, with more emphasis on monthly reports or timescales relevant for disease prediction. But the software is designed to be very flexible and can accept data from any type of Davis station uploading to wl.com from a simple logger through to a full EM station. As far as possible, we make the reports user-configurable in terms of which sensor data the software accesses and reports on.

The basis of operation is very simple really with just three steps:

1. The software runs on a separate cloud platform and accesses historical data at weatherlink.com via the v2 API.

2. Once an hour the software downloads the latest data for active stations and adds this to its large independent database.

3. There are preconfigured AND user-configurable reports built into Prowlar which can summarise historical data over different time-frames.

That's the outline, but of course there is a lot of hard work and devil in the detail.

Here's an example of a user-configurable monthly report:

But in principle the report could contain any of the fields, including time fields, that Prowlar knows about and in any order.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 06:14:52 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK