Author Topic: Experience with VP2 and Salt Water  (Read 551 times)

Offline MisterTwister55

• Photography by Mike Brulo
Experience with VP2 and Salt Water
« on: September 13, 2021, 08:34:37 AM »
I’d like to compile user experiences with their stations, especially the Pro2, in salt spray conditions. I did some searching but didn’t find many results. Perhaps that’s because people don’t use these stations near the salt. A group of amateur radio operators is looking to install a hearty station along the Chesapeake and I’ve always recommended Davis stations but I am a little hesitant this time.

What’s your experience with weather stations and the sea? Should we go for something better suited for this environment? I’m just looking to gather data at this point.

Thank you

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Experience with VP2 and Salt Water
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 09:02:42 AM »
First, there's a big difference between being sited at the coast in general and being so close to the sea that the sensors regularly get drenched in spray. Obviously, the latter is much harder on the sensors, though that said I've known at least one Vue ISS that was mounted about 2-3m above the sea surface and was still reading OK for 2-3 years at a time before the ISS (or at least the sensors) needed replacing.

But there are many Davis stations sited at the coast, eg on poles or cliffs above most of the wind-borne spray. These may need their T/H sensors replacing say every 3 years, give or take - that's a non-trivial but not huge running expense. And the anemometer bearings will not last as long, but still would typically be good for 3-5 years.

The Davis ultrasonic anemometer is claimed by its manufacturers (not Davis) to be especially resistant to salty environments but I've not seen any independent confirmation of that and is only calibrated to 40m/s wind speed (ca 90mph), which may not be high enough.

Bottom line: If the ISS can be mounted clear of the worst of the spray (even in stormy weather) and the owners factor in that the T/H sensor and wind speed bearing are considered consumables with a life of eg 3 years or so then I wouldn't have any qualms about recommending it. (And TBH I'm not sure that any other makes fare much better, especially for sensitive sensors like temp/humidity.)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 09:05:21 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline noctilucent

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 08:13:19 AM »
But there are many Davis stations sited at the coast, eg on poles or cliffs above most of the wind-borne spray. These may need their T/H sensors replacing say every 3 years, give or take - that's a non-trivial but not huge running expense. And the anemometer bearings will not last as long, but still would typically be good for 3-5 years.

Just as a data point, I've got a VP2 about 10m inland from the ocean in an area that gets a fair bit of wind coming up off the water and where unprotected metal corrodes like crazy and even 302/304 stainless fittings don't stay stainless for too long (there's some stuff you can't get in 316), and it's been fine, the T/H sensor lasted seven years and the anemometer bearings about six years, and at least some of that was because the older design had an open top that allowed contaminants in.  So if it's sited in a general coastal environment it should be fine.

I'd be less certain if it's got salt spray hitting it directly.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 10:22:09 AM »
The sensor connector pins may be the weakest point. They are very thin. I would use some protectant no matter what. I have some spray from Radio Shack.

Offline noctilucent

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 10:29:52 AM »
The sensor connector pins may be the weakest point. They are very thin. I would use some protectant no matter what. I have some spray from Radio Shack.

Ah, good point.  DeoxIT Gold or similar would be a good bet here.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 04:57:32 PM »
In standard configuration with exposed ISS enclosure life is limited but when mounted in a separate enclosure there are no ISS board issues at all. Anemometer, rain collector and Temp/humidity are the most vulnerable with the temp/humidity sensor the most affected, not from any cable/connection but simply from an eventual salt saturation of the sensor. Not a lot one can do with something like a temp/humidity sensor other than have a replacement plan as required.

The tipping bucket rain gauge with exposed wiring to the reed switch was also a weak link but the tipping spoon's new reed switch arrangement solves a lot of problems.

Anemometers can be an issue, some will stand up for quite some time, others not so. Older anemometers one could replace the gun metal "C" clips with stainless which helped. The new cartridge design appears to stand up ok but having a primary, secondary and a backup anemometer provides some redundancy in harsh conditions.               

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 05:55:52 PM »
I forgot about Reed switch solder connections. They seem to corrode in the best of conditions. Supercap legs on PCB can show up some dissimilar metal issues too.