Author Topic: freezer temperature with remote alerts?  (Read 919 times)

Offline BobWh

freezer temperature with remote alerts?
« on: August 12, 2021, 08:56:32 PM »
Can anyone suggest a freezer temperature monitor that can send text or some type of notification to your phone?

There are a few on amazon but the reviews are spotty and i don't want to spend $150 for each as i need a few.

Thanks

Offline BobWh

Re: freezer temperature with remote alerts?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 02:24:29 PM »
I must have asked a dumb question or a really hard one.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 03:09:07 PM »
I must have asked a dumb question or a really hard one.

Not really, but you'll have seen that this is a weather station forum, ie for monitoring multiple weather parameters outdoors. That doesn't map directly across to a dedicated gadget for monitoring freezer temps. I'm sure you could use components of a weather station to do what you're after, but sledgehammer/nut really applies and your budget would probably get blown by 200-300%. That's not to say that suitable gadgets don't exist but people here may not know about them in detail.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline BobWh

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2021, 08:03:50 AM »
What i'm looking for is a sensor with a LCD screen and a long wire coming from it that goes inside your freezer. The battery should last that way.

And then some kind of alarm that sends off your phone/txt etc if the temp drops.

Offline gszlag

• Forecaster
  • ..have you calibrated your barometer today?
    • Michael's Bay - Manitoulin Island weather
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2021, 09:33:22 AM »
If you are are willing to forego a LCD display and battery power, the most cost effective and accurate solution is to buy a Ecowitt GW1000  (~$30 USD )and stick the probe end in the freezer.

You will have live temperature data on your phone (WSview app) and can set an email alert on ecowitt.net. (You can view live data and charts online even if you are out of WIFI range or far away from home) BONUS! You will have humidity and barometric pressure too!

The GW1000 needs power from a USB port. Any old phone, tablet USB charger should work.

One caveat. The GW1000 sometimes does not like to be plugged directly into a USB charger power supply (the power supply might interfere with WIFI). You can fix this by getting  a short USB extension.

This equipment is available on amazon.com.

EDIT: Sorry, made an error! In double checking the GW1000, it can measure only down to 14F/ Freezers are usually set to around 0F. There might be other remote sensors. More research required.

Ok. An Ecowitt WN30 ($17 USD)will work.

Specs: Power: 2 AA batteries(not included)

Sensor Size: (LxHxW): 4.75 x 1.5 x 0.6 in (123x 42 x 14 mm)

Cable Length: 3M(10FT)

Frequency: 433 / 868 / 915 MHz depending on location (North American: 915 MHz; Europe: 433MHz; Other areas: 433MHz)

Temperature range: -40°C – 60°C (40°F - 140°F)

Temperature resolution: 0.1°C, or 0.1°F

Temperature accuracy: ± 1°C /± 2°F

Waterproof Level for the probe: IP65

Sensor reporting interval: 61 seconds
Unfortunately this probe is not available on amazon but could be ordered from ecowitt.com.
Sorry for the confusion!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 01:12:11 PM by gszlag »
Ambient Weather WS-2000
Ecowitt WS3900 console
Ecowitt GW1000/GW1100
Ecowitt WS68: Anemometer, UV/solar
Ecowitt WH40: Rain gauge
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning sensor
Ecowitt WH32E: Outside T & H sensor
Stratus Rain Gauge (manual)
Raspberry Pi 3B+ (WeeWX/CumulusMX)
Raspberry Pi Zero 2W (WeeWX/MQTT/Belchertown)
---
Barometer wiki: http://meshka.eu/Ecowitt/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=barometer#barometer
---
http://weather.glenns.ca (pwsdashboard - live)
http://weewx.glenns.ca
http://glenns.ca/cumulusmx2/index.htm
---
Uploading to: AWN, ecowitt.net, Weather Underground, PWSweather.com, AWEKAS, Windy.com, WOW

anything