Weather Station Hardware > What Weather Station Should I Buy?

Davis VP2 does not like lightning.

<< < (3/3)

Aardvark:
I am not sure if all the surge protectors, ups can do much in a direct lightning strike.   the EMF  produced would definitely fry anything electronic nearby.  I have a whole house unit and it acts like a sponge picking up this and that, and as the electrician who installed it said , eventually it will need to be replace, but a nearby strike will do damage, grounded or not.   

Greg_M:
I'm pretty sure the surge came in on the phone lines and spread out from the modem.
The phone company tech who brought me the new modem said 5 others had lost their modems in my area.
Makes me want to move in the direction of wireless.

Aardvark:

--- Quote from: Greg_M on July 25, 2021, 07:32:05 PM ---I'm pretty sure the surge came in on the phone lines and spread out from the modem.
The phone company tech who brought me the new modem said 5 others had lost their modems in my area.
Makes me want to move in the direction of wireless.

--- End quote ---

We are going with fiber tomorrow, should be interesting.  I will ask the installer about line protection.  So far we have had dsl and no problems yet.  But need the faster speeds.

Greg_M:
Update.

So far so good. It has survived several good lightning storms and a couple of floods.
Not sure if it was de-coiling the excess telephone wire or adding the ferrite, but it's working now without problem.

Thanks for the suggestions and help.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version