Weather Station Hardware > What Weather Station Should I Buy?

Davis VP2 does not like lightning.

(1/3) > >>

Greg_M:
I have figured out the wind direction being 180 out.
It is lightning.
The only solution I have found is to reboot the console, which involves pulling the batteries and the power supply and waiting while it reloads.

If someone has a quicker way to do this I would be grateful to hear it.

miraculon:
I would suspect that the lightning might be causing a surge which is being passed into the console.

A good EMI/Surge suppressor like those from Tripp-Lite might be a good idea to put on the console power supply and the computer power that the data-logger is connected to. Have you tried a clamp-on ferrite on the data logger cable and an extra one on the power?

The ferrite doesn't do much for a surge per-se, but there is a lot of RF EMI associated with lightning strikes. This could be another cause of the problems associated with the lightning.

73 de KE8DAF, Greg

Greg_M:
I have everything electronic behind UPS protectors as our area suffers from frequent blips in the mains power which is just enough to cause the clocks to blink. Over time it will destroy electronics so I have bought a fleet of UPSs. The best I have found are the Tripp-Lite units.

My VP2 is a wireless system. I'm wondering if there is any way to protect it from what I think might be magnet pulse surges.

Odd that it only seems to affect wind direction. Maybe because the wind vane is up a radio tower about 30' ?

I wonder if I were to put a ferrite on the cable that runs from the wind vane/anemometer down to the transmitter if that would help?

miraculon:

--- Quote from: Greg_M on July 16, 2021, 09:34:23 AM ---I have everything electronic behind UPS protectors as our area suffers from frequent blips in the mains power which is just enough to cause the clocks to blink. Over time it will destroy electronics so I have bought a fleet of UPSs. The best I have found are the Tripp-Lite units.

My VP2 is a wireless system. I'm wondering if there is any way to protect it from what I think might be magnet pulse surges.

Odd that it only seems to affect wind direction. Maybe because the wind vane is up a radio tower about 30' ?

I wonder if I were to put a ferrite on the cable that runs from the wind vane/anemometer down to the transmitter if that would help?

--- End quote ---

That is a good thought. Just for reference, when I transmit on 2M, if I have the power at 50W, I will see the wind drop out, with dashes (--) for speed. The cable from the anemometer runs down the same mast as the UHF/VHF antenna. The antenna is mounted on a side support and is parallel to the cable. I can hit the local repeater just fine at 5W so I leave it there. I have no problem at the lower RF power.

It is not the same symptom that you are having, but it does indicate some susceptibility. I put a ferrite clamp on the cable from the anemometer to the transmitter, which helped some. I put it at the 6332 end of the cable.

73, de KE8DAF - Greg

Greg_M:
Any recommendation on the ferrite?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version