Weather Station Hardware > WiFiLogger/Meteo-Pi

Meteo-Pi, Weatherlink.com and PoE?

(1/4) > >>

GlynH:
Hi there,

Just rekindling a long dormant interest in weather following a resurgence of interest in virtual radar earlier this year and wanted to ask a question I haven't seen addressed yet.

I have the Davis 6132 Console fitted with 6555 IP Logger sending data to Weatherlink.com which needed no real setup apart from adding the device on the Davis website.

Is the Meteo-Pi capable of sending compatible data to Weatherlink.com and if so how is this achieved please?

I really like the idea of the Meteo-Pi especially as it can power the console from the Pi using a 6-wire cable as I understand it.

As I run my Pi's headless in the loft and use the official PoE HAT to power them will this supply enough voltage/current to drive the Davis console in addition to the Pi itself?

I currently use the v2 HAT which resolved a current issue on the original HAT and specs say it can supply 5v/2.5A and I wondered if this was enough as the Pi4 on its own ideally needs 3A.

However the Raspberry Pi Foundation have just released what is in effect a v3 PoE HAT specified as outputting 5v/4A and this I am guessing should be more than adequate to power the console if the v2 is borderline.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

johnd:
Meteo-Pi is simply a hardware device provides a serial data feed in Davis format in a convenient form factor to the Pi. So MP would not upload any data itself to Internet servers, it would be the software you choose to run on the Pi that would do that. While there are several Linux-compatible programs that could be used, the only one that I'm aware right now of that (I think) is able to upload to wl.com is Meteobridge for Pi.

When the new WFL Ethernet-only  version (see https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41938.0 ) is released then that wl.com upload functionality (specifically that one, not necessarily others) should be included.

Weatherlink Live (see eg https://www.weatherstations.co.uk/weatherlink-live.htm if you're unfamiliar) is a further alternative device that can upload to wl.com directly and that is compatible with several Pi prorams like CumulusMX, MBfPi, Weewx etc.

GlynH:
Thanks as always for the reply John.

Cumulus...hmmm...I used to use that back in 2009 and really liked it!

Maybe I should take a look at Cumulus MX on the Pi but just to confirm I am able to;

1. Fit the Meteo-Pi to the Davis 6132 Console
2. Using the 6-wire cable power the Davis Console without using the 6625 PSU
3. Configure Cumulus to receive data from Meteo-Pi and feed Weatherlink.com as I do now with the 6555
4. Use Cumulus as a fully-featured local weather station plus feed other weather sites and much more

Shall I assume the PoE HAT should provide enough voltage/current to drive the Pi4, Meteo-Pi & Davis Console?

If so it seems like a no-brainer to me!

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

PaulMy:

--- Quote ---Cumulus...hmmm...I used to use that back in 2009 and really liked it!

--- End quote ---
A lot has changed since 2009

www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx
www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.php

Enjoy,
Paul

davidmc36:

--- Quote from: johnd on May 30, 2021, 04:00:09 AM ---
When the new WFL Ethernet-only  version (see https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41938.0 ) is released then that wl.com upload functionality (specifically that one, not necessarily others) should be included.

--- End quote ---

This is how I am doing upload to WL now with prototype. Works flawless.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version