Weather Station Hardware > Remote Weather Monitoring

3G Mobile Broadband Plans: Some Questions

<< < (2/8) > >>

NorthNJwx:

--- Quote from: Slow Modem on January 18, 2012, 10:07:10 AM ---
--- Quote from: NorthNJwx on January 18, 2012, 09:53:09 AM ---Does that mean you have to manually redial it in order to ever restart the connection, or will it restart itself eventually after some period of time?
--- End quote ---

Below is a likeness of my verizon access program.  It must be manually dialed (or redialed) (unless there's a secret to it that I haven't discovered yet)  I have to move the cursor over to the "connect" button and click on it to get the modem to redial.  That is why I've kept the dialup connection.

--- End quote ---

I think what I'd need with whatever software DataJack includes would be some option to automatically reconnect when and if the connection goes down. I'll see if I can find out if such an option exists, though I'm not sure I'll be able to find that info - it seems like too obscure an option to get an answer about online. What is the cell service like in your area? I'm guessing that's the primary factor involved here. My remote location has good cell service and is included in the coverage map DataJack has on its site, though of course interruptions will happen from time to time anyway. If there's a way the included software can automatically reconnect to the 3G network after some period of time in which it has been offline, I'll be golden.

Or, perhaps there's some external program that can auto reconnect 3G devices? I'll try to look for that as well.

WeatherHost:

--- Quote from: Slow Modem on January 18, 2012, 10:07:10 AM ---It must be manually dialed (or redialed) (unless there's a secret to it that I haven't discovered yet)  I have to move the cursor over to the "connect" button and click on it to get the modem to redial.  That is why I've kept the dialup connection.
--- End quote ---

Any chance of a third party program to handle that?  Something like the startup manager some of you are using to automate your weather programs?

(Note: only the the part of the post being responded to was quoted instead of the entire post.)

NorthNJwx:

--- Quote from: WeatherHost on January 18, 2012, 10:16:49 AM ---
--- Quote from: Slow Modem on January 18, 2012, 10:07:10 AM ---It must be manually dialed (or redialed) (unless there's a secret to it that I haven't discovered yet)  I have to move the cursor over to the "connect" button and click on it to get the modem to redial.  That is why I've kept the dialup connection.
--- End quote ---

Any chance of a third party program to handle that?  Something like the startup manager some of you are using to automate your weather programs?

(Note: only the the part of the post being responded to was quoted instead of the entire post.)

--- End quote ---

I've just gotten to searching, and this seems like it could be a viable option:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Other-Internet-Related/ReConnect.shtml

Saw this recommended in a post on a tech forum (came up when I Googled the issue) as a way to automatically reconnect 3G internet.

SLOweather:
We have 2 WeatherElement sites running on cellular connections. WeatherElement uses a hardware data hub rather than a laptop, and sends just a data string to the server of about 350 characters. With the response from the sever, it totals about 500 bytes per update.

The way Verizon rounds it, it works out to about 1,200 bytes per upload. During testing, we upload every 30 seconds. That amounts to less than 3.5 megabytes a day, or about 105 megabytes a month.

We have 2 different cellular connections in place at this time, on 2 different sites. One uses a BlueTree BT-6600 cellular router  (cell modem, Ethernet router all in one).

The router is on a Verizon 250 MB data only plan at $40 per month. That's about the best I can do with them until I get 4 more units on my account.

The other does indeed use a laptop, but not how you'd expect. The laptop has a Verizon AirCard installed, and Internet Connection Sharing active, and the data hub connects to the Ethernet port via a Cat5 patch cable. In essence, the laptop is being used as a cellular router.

In each case, they reconnect as needed. The laptop is running XP SP3 and rarely, if ever needs a reboot.

2 things to keep in mind:

Your cellular data plan provider almost certainly has an on-line tool to monitor the data use. Use it, especially for the first weeks and month, so you really know what you are being charged for. Verizon lets me download the file so I can import it into Excel for analysis.

You need to do that, because the cell companies calculate bandwidth usage on the total of upload and download use. We had to fine tune the response from the WeatherElement Apache server to minimize what was being sent back to the modems. Until we did, the response was bigger than the data upload.

Bushman:

--- Quote from: WeatherHost on January 18, 2012, 10:16:49 AM ---
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Clickoff will do this.  Free.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version