Weather Station Hardware > Remote Weather Monitoring

3G Mobile Broadband Plans: Some Questions

<< < (8/8)

Bushman:
The less wireless stuff you have at your remote site the better.  If you can cable it, do so.

NorthNJwx:
Have mulled this over some more and will not be going after the Comcast WiFi - just too much of a hurt on my (college student) budget. But I've done additional searching, and like this:

http://store.truconnect.com/devices/truconnect-usb-data-card.html

It looks like it's generally the same USB option offered by many providers, DataJack itself included. Before I got the DataJack MiFi, I was looking to get the DataJack USB - but their response to my email about using it 24/7 guided me instead to the more expensive MiFi unit. Whether they knew what they were talking about in terms of its 24/7 running reliability or not, I probably would've been better off getting the USB option in the first place. At least a USB stick, powered by the USB port, won't have the option to go into "hibernate" mode for no apparent reason, like my MiFi unit has. The USB stick has a dialog window open with a "connect" button that needs to be pressed if the connection is lost, and going off a suggestion made to me in this thread months ago, I could just use Clickoff or something similar to automatically press that button at some interval.

As for why I'd rather switch to TruConnect, rather than stay with DataJack: well, I guess it's clear that I'm fed up with DJ! But there's another advantage to TruConnect, and that's the cost. Service costs a $5 flat fee plus 3.9 cents per MB each month. At my usage (maybe 50-75 MB/month), that comes out to less than the already great $10/month I'm paying DJ for my 200 MB/month plan. $7-$8/month is an incredibly mean deal. Hopefully, this will work!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version