General Weather/Earth Sciences Topics > Weather Folklore

Interesting Winter Folklore

<< < (4/4)

CW2274:

--- Quote from: WeatherHost on April 01, 2016, 03:41:58 PM ---
--- Quote from: WeatherHost on November 14, 2015, 01:22:08 PM ---
--- Quote from: WeatherHost on October 30, 2015, 06:28:29 AM ---I know there was a discussion of Wooley Worms too, but I can't find it.

All of the ones I've seen so far this year have been either all brown, all black, or black at each end and brown in the middle.  I haven't seen any yet with any black bands in the middle.  Middle band are supposed to relate to snowfalls.  The ones I saw last fall had several middle bands and we got several snowfalls.

--- End quote ---

I've seen several more in recent days and still not a single one with middle bands.

--- End quote ---

I'll be watching for Wooley Worms next fall for sure.

--- End quote ---
Where I grew up we called them Wooley Bears.

Farmtalk:

--- Quote from: WeatherHost on October 30, 2015, 06:28:29 AM ---I know there was a discussion of Wooley Worms too, but I can't find it.

All of the ones I've seen so far this year have been either all brown, all black, or black at each end and brown in the middle.  I haven't seen any yet with any black bands in the middle.  Middle band are supposed to relate to snowfalls.  The ones I saw last fall had several middle bands and we got several snowfalls.

--- End quote ---

I've seen several more in recent days and still not a single one with middle bands.

--- End quote ---

Thinking about this today while I was out walking and saw different bugs.  For whatever it's worth, we did not have a single really significant snowfall.  A couple of 3 or 4 inchers as I remember.  And no significant cold weather spells.  Cold days yes, but nothing lengthy or dramatic.

--- End quote ---

Had one storm that dropped 21", which is the 3rd most all-time here in central WV. Otherwise, probably 6" the remainder of the season.  8-)

--- Quote from: ValentineWeather on April 01, 2016, 05:00:57 PM ---Not 100% sure but If memory serves very strong El Nino's are usually followed by strong La Niņa events. Meaning much of the areas with warmth will flip next winter without the southern jet being strong.

--- End quote ---

This is a dated image, but I believe your theory is a good one.  8-)

DaleReid:
I've often wondered about the old folk tales (March in or out like lion or lamb) and this business about wooly worms with their brown and black stripes and so on.

Even Halloween and the popular notion of what the seasons are like around it with frost on the pumpkin and so on is really only applicable to a narrow band, which seems to change year to  year.

Songs of the season?  Over the river and through the woods.  When was there snow deep enough to upsot a horse?

I guess it is like reading your horoscope.  If it fits, you are amazed at how someone can predict you so closely (especially if it fits what you want to see yourself as).  If it is off, well, I'll read it again tomorrow and see what it says.

When I was in college one of the new undergrads on the dorm floor was quite outgoing and had worked summers as a small town radio DJ, and at other times chasing stories for the local daily (they had them back then.)  He said one of the most fun parts of the job was sitting down with another fellow who bought the beer and churning out the next week or so's horoscopes.  The managing editor was pleased with the results and didn't have to buy them from some syndicated distributor, so it was fun for the guys and good for the bottom line.

WeatherHost:

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Thinking about this today while I was out walking and saw different bugs.  For whatever it's worth, we did not have a single really significant snowfall.  A couple of 3 or 4 inchers as I remember.  And no significant cold weather spells.  Cold days yes, but nothing lengthy or dramatic.

--- End quote ---

Updating for future reference and gathering from the Fall '16 thread:

--- Quote from: WeatherHost on September 18, 2016, 05:03:51 PM ---
--- Quote from: WeatherHost on September 12, 2016, 03:33:48 PM ---And the only Wooley Worm I've seen this year so far was an odd light brown, almost butter yellow color.  I'm not sure I recall seeing one that color before.
--- End quote ---

Saw another one the other day (and only the second one so far this year) that was the same color.  Remains to be seen what, if anything that means.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: WeatherHost on November 01, 2016, 11:04:30 AM ---Have only seen a few wooley worms so far, but they're taking on their normal colors.  The ones I've seen so far are black at both ends, brown in between with no banding.
--- End quote ---

Again, no real snow at all.  One day we had a 2" or so in the morning but it was gone by later that day.   Only a few cold days with no extended freeze periods.  It will be very odd if this turns out to have some merit.

jburns:
My first post so I thought I would start in a little-used thread to test the waters. I have been a moderator on americanwx.com for several years. Every year the folks in the southeast forum start talking about squirrels, fog and wooly worms. I have responded with this post for the past several years with slight modifications.

Top Six Southern Winter Folklore Sayings

1. If you count the morning fogs in August you will know how many August mornings were foggy.

2. A heavy crop of acorns will lead to fatter than average squirrels next spring.

3. If it thunders in winter, 10 days later it will have happened 10 days ago.

4. If you study the bands of the wooly worm you will know how many are brown and how many are black.

5. Snow that lays on the ground for more than three days is dirty.

6. A ring around the moon means your Lasik surgeon screwed up

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version