Weather Station Hardware > Remote Weather Monitoring

Remote WX Monitoring via APRS

<< < (2/4) > >>

talbert1952:

--- Quote from: Flag on June 19, 2011, 06:19:04 PM ---Is there any particular reason for using a console in this type of setup? Do people on site need to view the data etc

--- End quote ---

The console was included with the station so I used it.

The console is used by people visiting the site.  The console is the only way to read the highs, lows and totals since there isn't a computer at the site.

johnd:

--- Quote from: Flag on June 19, 2011, 06:19:04 PM ---Is there any particular reason for using a console in this type of setup? Do people on site need to view the data etc

--- End quote ---

Depending whereabouts in the world you live, there may be little or no difference in the cost of buying an Envoy-based system vs a standard console. Here in the UK for instance, 6152+6510 is typically available as a discounted bundle whereas an Envoy system has to built up from its component parts.

So typically cost isn't a factor and many users will prefer to have the LCD screen available as a guide eg for setting up or troubleshooting checks, even if it's not going to be viewed routinely. It can also be handy to have the wireless diagnostic screens available if for any reason reception is marginal rather than easy.

The other pros and cons we've discussed before:

The Envoy console will auto-reboot, which can be a major plus, which the standard console cannot.

The Envoy console only takes AA batteries and so has much shorter life on internal batteries only.

If there is no other shelter available at the remote site and a Davis weatherproof box needs to be used then the Envoy will fit into the much cheaper 7728 shelter, whereas the std console needs the 7724 shelter.

Flag:
My preference with the Envoy is that is has no keyboard hence stops the inquisitive fingers from button pushing.

Yes the console is also usefull with re diag screens, trouble shooting  etc but this can be something that forms part of the tool kit. 

Backup batteries? The Envoy is simply miles in front when it comes to customizing backup backup. Very simply to keep an Envoy running for many many months but of course not on AA.

This is one area where Davis could very simply improve backup capacity especially for remote locations requiring extended backup capacity.   

talbert1952:

--- Quote from: Flag on June 20, 2011, 05:22:12 AM ---My preference with the Envoy is that is has no keyboard hence stops the inquisitive fingers from button pushing.

Yes the console is also usefull with re diag screens, trouble shooting  etc but this can be something that forms part of the tool kit. 

Backup batteries? The Envoy is simply miles in front when it comes to customizing backup backup. Very simply to keep an Envoy running for many many months but of course not on AA.

This is one area where Davis could very simply improve backup capacity especially for remote locations requiring extended backup capacity.   

--- End quote ---

I'm not concerned about button pushing. You can't do damage pushing buttons on the console keyboard unless you know the proper key sequences. Also, my equipment is located at secure commercial communication sites. People accessing the sites know to keep their hands off equipment that doesn't belong to them.

The Davis console will run for months on internal batteries. If you need more run time it would be trivial to make a large dry cell battery pack that could be plugged into the console via the AC adapter jack. Console battery life isn't the problem. The problem is getting the data from the remote site to its destination. Moving the data will take 99% of your power budget.

There are pros and cons to every setup. I tend to use what is at hand even if it isn't the best solution. This was a used station. It had a console not an Envoy. Buying an Envoy was not an option. Also, I don't have to haul a laptop loaded with Weatherlink to the mountain to configure the station or adjust calibrations. I can do it all through the console keyboard.

I started this thread to discuss APRS as a method of remote WX monitoring. I wanted to find out if other folks on the forum are using APRS for reporting weather conditions from remote sites and how they are implementing it. I welcome any questions about details of my setup.

Skywatch:

--- Quote from: Flag on June 20, 2011, 05:22:12 AM ---My preference with the Envoy is that is has no keyboard hence stops the inquisitive fingers from button pushing.

Yes the console is also usefull with re diag screens, trouble shooting  etc but this can be something that forms part of the tool kit.  

--- End quote ---
The Envoy can be solar powered can't it?
I'm not shure if this is exactly relevent, but if were talking power sources, solar is a valuable resource. http://davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=06610

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version