Author Topic: The New Years Eve 2010 Tornado Outbreak  (Read 2882 times)

Offline IMADreamer

• Forecaster
The New Years Eve 2010 Tornado Outbreak
« on: January 01, 2012, 01:47:57 PM »
I have better, more interesting weather stories but I'll save those for later when this section really takes off.  So I'll tell one that's relevant to this week. 

I had work the night before December 30th, 2010 at my old job at the water treatment plant.  My shift was 2pm-midnight that night so I got home rather late.  By the time I got home and settled down for the night it was probably more like 2am before I made it to bed.  So I slept in on New Years Eve because I would be working from 2pm to 10pm that night.  Around 9:30am New Years Eve morning I heard a voice from my lady friend "Jason wake up!"  I didn't bother, then again "Jason wake up there is  tornado coming!"  Ok I must be dreaming I thought.  Then she comes in a shakes me "Jason there is a tornado coming" I awoke to see the concerned look on her face and knew she was serious.  I knew there was a chance at severe weather but I had ruled out any real tornado threat. 

About this time my parents come strolling into my house, which they often do when there is a threat for tornadoes as they live in the neighborhood and I have a good basement with a safe room.  My Dad sees I'm still in bed and says "get up there is a tornado warning they say it's coming right for us."  Yeah I heard.  By this point I'd already had the radar started on my phone and was getting some clothes on to go downstairs.  So I grab my labtop for some GR2A monitoring and we get to the basement. 

Well the storm did have a tornado but it only briefly touched down and was an EF0. The day wasn't done though, approximately an hour later we would get another tornado warning, but no confirmed tornado.  Then finally around noon our last tornado warning of the day, again with no tornado.  whew, what a whirlwind morning.  :)

The day was pretty amazing, it's not too often you get supercells on December 31st at 10am.  We were lucky though, others were not.  Sunset Hills, Missouri was hit by an EF3 tornado that killed one and injured several.  After I made it to work I enjoyed sitting on the steps of the building looking to the south and watching the storms rumble.  It was still so warm I didn't need a coat.  I'll never forget New Years Eve 2010.
Hello my name is Jason, I am a Meteorologist, farmer, and auto journalist.
www.infinite-garage.com

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
Re: The New Years Eve 2010 Tornado Outbreak
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 10:36:58 PM »
Did you say u were from Illinois?? Thats insane! Glad you werent hurt! :grin:
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline IMADreamer

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 01:55:41 AM »
Yep in Western Illnois, right off I-72 between the IL and MS rivers.  or as we like to call it God's Country.
Hello my name is Jason, I am a Meteorologist, farmer, and auto journalist.
www.infinite-garage.com

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 03:50:40 PM »
I thought God's country was here in McLean County smack dab in the middle.... ;) ;) ;)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 04:03:58 PM by Garth Bock »