Author Topic: wifi logger can't connect to my wifi  (Read 2136 times)

Offline Jeff_pad

• Jeff's photos
wifi logger can't connect to my wifi
« on: March 08, 2022, 11:25:39 AM »
I am following the directions, pushing the white button, 20 seconds the first time, and then the red button for 3 seconds, no blue light no apparent connection to wifi. 
   It says if no connection to try it again but the white button no more than 15 seconds.

I have done it 10 times so far no go

I am on Win10, and looking for it to show up in "Devices and Printers"

what am I doing wrong?  Maybe I should have bought the Davis logger

Offline Jeff_pad

• Jeff's photos
Re: wifi logger can't connect to my wifi
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2022, 11:58:25 AM »
ok I can see it using the IP address on my cell phone but now set the date and time 4 times and it keeps defaulting to 1/1/1970

Offline Jeff_pad

• Jeff's photos
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2022, 12:17:58 PM »
I think I should have bought the Davis Logger.  I can get at the Wifilogger 2 with both my laptop and my cell phone but can't get the date to stick.

Offline Herbaldew

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2022, 12:47:05 PM »
Beings you seem to be getting frustrated I'll offer what *may* head you in the right direction until someone more knowledgeable chimes in...

I *think* you are just connecting to the WFL in setup mode.  Once you connect to it with your laptop or cell phone, you need to go to "Setup"-->"WiFi Setup" and fill in the "Connect to Router with these settings:" section so that the WFL will connect to the router rather than your laptop or cell phone.  Then you access the WFL from any device on your network using the IP it is connected to the router with.

It is also a good idea to use your router's address reservation feature so the WFL always has the same IP address.
VP2+ Wireless - 24 hr FARS via 12v Case Fan Mod

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2022, 02:25:33 PM »
Couple of points. First...what is the WifiLogger in ? A Console or an Envoy. What is the firmware level (and I don't mean the WifiLogger)? If it is 1.90 or below then the date and time will display what you are seeing. You need to update the firmware of the console or Envoy that it is in. You can find instructions on the Davis site for doing a firmware update. To check the firmware level of a console....press the DONE and UP button simultaneously. The firmware will display in the Ticker Tape at the bottom. For an Envoy you have to use the old WeatherLink program and go to Reports then Console Diagnotics. The Console or Envoy needs to be connected to WeatherLink either by a USB, Serial or WifiLogger.

Next you need to complete setup but I recommend setting a fixed IP address in the WifiLogger because in my case I have had problems with my CenturyLink DSL routers (and have had to do lots of resets and replace their junk modems several times). A fixed IP at the Logger eliminated that.  You set that by clicking on the Advance Option button as shown on the screen cap.

You said it won't show in Devices and Printers ???? It won't. None of my computers including the Weather Computer show it. However in a browser I can go to the Logger's IP address and see it. Right now one of my weather programs displays the data from the WifiLogger because in the weather program I set the fixed IP of the logger. If you can reach the logger from typing its fixed IP address in a browser then you have it set up. If I open up Firefox and type 192.168.0.20 I get the real time window. I am using Virtual Weather Station to display the data but you can use Weather Display or Cumulus or WeatherLink or others to display the data by going into the communication settings of that program, selecting the IP setting and putting in your loggers IP address.

See attachment
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 02:33:36 PM by Garth Bock »

Offline Jeff_pad

• Jeff's photos
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2022, 02:34:07 PM »
In the connect to Router with these settings I have my router in there and connection state shows my router, BMG and channel 6 and then on the next line BMG again and channel 11 and then on the third line it says Hernon Wifi (no idea who that is) and channel one

It says Connected in connection state and this is not on my laptop but on my desktop that is not wifi but wired.

I just got the station yesterday so don't know what version it is but Ryan at Scaled Instruments said it fresh from the factory.   Also the date under "Weather Station Setup" won't keep the date always falls back to 1970

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2022, 02:59:55 PM »
You have BMG Channel 11 and BMG Channel 6??

Sounds like maybe the other channel is the 5.8 of your router.

I am pretty sure the WiFi Logger will have issue getting properly conneted when 5.8 is running.

Go to your router setup interface (commonly found in a browser at like 192.16.2.1 or similar) and temporarily turn off the 5.8 GHZ transmission.

Turn it back on after.

Not 1000% sure but it rings a bell.

Offline Jeff_pad

• Jeff's photos
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2022, 04:30:02 PM »
I tried that 192.16.2.1 and it doesn't do anything.

I am not that good with this techy stuff.

Offline Jeff_pad

• Jeff's photos
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2022, 04:50:48 PM »
This is beyond me,  I am going to see if Ryan will take it back or if not I will sell it and then order the Davis Weatherlink logger it comes with software and I have a friend who has one so can help me

Offline Jeff_pad

• Jeff's photos
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2022, 05:01:36 PM »
how do I tell what version the console is? I am looking throiugh the manual, can't find it.

Also I tried changing the IP address but after saving it it went back to the origiaal one

Offline Jeff_pad

• Jeff's photos
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2022, 06:23:55 PM »
solved

I just talked to Ryan at Scaled Instruments, he was very helpful.  He suggested I try Chrome or Edge rather than firefox and IT NOW WORKS!

so many things hate firefox

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2022, 12:14:24 AM »
I tried that 192.16.2.1 and it doesn't do anything.

I am not that good with this techy stuff.

Sorry, misprint. 192.168.2.1

Anyway. You got it so that's excellent.

Foe your console Firmware version.......posted above.......press Done and Up buttons on your console to display version. It will scroll across the bottom of display.

anything