Author Topic: 50 mph Wind Gust  (Read 699 times)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
50 mph Wind Gust
« on: December 16, 2021, 10:11:22 AM »
I recorded a brief wind gust of 50.1 mph (80.6 km/h) on both my Davis VP2 and RM Young anemometers this morning.

A fairly large and heavy bin that I use for temporary storage of recycling materials was picked up and tossed upside down for about 20 feet.

This is placed between my neighbor's and my houses and there is a venturi effect that I think intensifies the wind. The houses are probably about 10 feet apart.

Greg H.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 10:13:45 AM by miraculon »

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
Re: 50 mph Wind Gust
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021, 04:44:36 PM »
Yep blowing here too, just got power back.
Recorded 34.5 mph this morning with the Davis sonic anny.
Still blowing too.

CW3699

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 05:15:38 PM »
I would give you the wind velocities here I recorded, but  why bother?   Lord I am in one of those moods.  But there were some 80 to 100 mph here and not a tornado. In fact we are smelling the smoke like it was next door from kansas wild fires.    BUt the NOAA/NWS  kept us informed and prepared

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2021, 05:16:54 PM »
63.3 MPH at 1 am this morning, after the main brunt when through at about 8:40 the night before. 
I was outside watching the sky flash of lightning and listening to the thunder.  I was surprised (and relieved) that the wind on the ground, and up in the tops of the 60' trees, wasn't that bad, and other than a heavy straight downpour for maybe 5 minutes, back to relatively peaceful situation right after that.  The temps stayed quite pleasant, in the 50s, and soon the moon was showing through the thin clouds overhead.

It wasn't until maybe 1/2 hour latter that the wind picked up.

The conditions 30-40 miles south of me were not as pleasant.  there were semi-van trailers tipped over on the interstate and a friend who I was texting was still in his basement and saying things seemed to be getting more worrisome.

That part of the storm moved to the NE about 40 miles and did major damage to buildings and trees in the Stanley, WI area. 

Very bizarre.

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

anything